2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 5 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
M
Originally posted by TheAsianPianist:
Ive got to hear these recording by Van Cliburn and Horowitz. Ive only heard Lang Lang play it, and he is a very talented pianist. Please send any links or tell me if you have recordings that u could send me via email by these other pianists
I've heard Lang Lang's live on the radio - although he is obviously very technically talented, I thought that his Rach 3 was mediocre.

Surprisingly, he kept the tempos slow, and there wasn't much music behind it IMO.

Anyway, we have a solution!!!

http://classic.manual.ru/

go there, and yes, it's all in Russian, HOWEVER, you can make out what it says in the bottom left of the screen. Then you can find Rachmaninoff, his Rach 3 played by Horowitz (3 different versions!), Van Cliburn (!), Rachmaninoff (!), Volodos....and I believe Ashkenazy.

R
R
Originally posted by musicsdarkangel:
By the way, I wouldn't listen to whomever recommended Sokolov's recording.

It's boring, and lacks personality.
THANK GOD - Someone with Sense. Sokolov's recording are horrible, they're too fast and their lifeless (emotionally.)

R
R
Where can you get Lang Langs recording of Rachmaninoffs 3rd??? Anyway to get it online... cause I sure as heck won't be able to get it in Australia.

Most australians (I mean general public and CD Stores) couldn't give a crap about Classical Music. They're all SPORTS orientated....

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Stop asking for MP3s. Go out and buy the stupid CD.

R
R
Bugger off iamcanadian....

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by Reaper Man:
Sokolov's recording are horrible, they're too fast and their lifeless (emotionally.)
That opinion is - ironically - so antipodal to my own that I'm sure we'll never agree, but I am genuinely curious to know which of his recordings (besides the Rach 3) you have heard. Thanks,

David

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
I like Horowitz's 1978 live rec (the filmed one) more than his 1951 one.

Besides that one, I love Sokolov's (the one Reaper hates), Kapell and Cherkassky's live one, I believe it's from the 50's-ish. Rachmaninoff's own recording is amazing too, I love what he does with the repeated notes part in the 2nd movement.

Cliburn's just boring to me, and Volodos is a good recording if you want to hear how it "should" be played, not fantasizing too much and stuff..

R
R
Originally posted by jazzyd:
Originally posted by Reaper Man:
[b] Sokolov's recording are horrible, they're too fast and their lifeless (emotionally.)
That opinion is - ironically - so antipodal to my own that I'm sure we'll never agree, but I am genuinely curious to know which of his recordings (besides the Rach 3) you have heard. Thanks,

David [/b]
OK... Maybe I haven't heard any else of Sokolov's Performances, and I have never come across them. The only thing I have ever heard is Sokolov playing Rachmaninoff's 3rd.

And before you say - There you go, you've never heard any of his other pieces, how could you know... All I've ever said is that his Rach 3 was awful and lifeless.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Sorry, no I wasn't trying to corner you; I just thought from your post that you must have heard more.

David

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
I have at least a half dozen recordings of the Rach 3. To me, the Cliburn recording is the best due to the emotional intensity of the performance. I would place Horowitz second, and Lazar Berman dead last.

When the Berman recording came out in the 70s I remember buying it because of a favorable review I read, but to me, it is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Hamiltonian

Shigeru Kawai SK6, Hammond R124
F
F
Originally posted by Anima:
I like Horowitz's 1978 live rec (the filmed one) more than his 1951 one.

Besides that one, I love Sokolov's (the one Reaper hates), Kapell and Cherkassky's live one, I believe it's from the 50's-ish. Rachmaninoff's own recording is amazing too, I love what he does with the repeated notes part in the 2nd movement.

Cliburn's just boring to me, and Volodos is a good recording if you want to hear how it "should" be played, not fantasizing too much and stuff..
The filmed one??? I have been dreaming for years of seeing it! What format? DVD?...
As for me, I cherish all those who have played this beloved concerto. What about the great Emil Gilels in Moscow, in 1949, despite the quality of recording?...

(I have Horowitz 1978, Rachmaninov 1939, Wild, Gieseking 1940, Luganski, Gavrilov (I like it very much), Gilels, and some more...)

R
R
I have heard Ashkenazy, Helfgott, Rachmaninoff and Alicia De Larroch play the Rach 3, as well as Sokolov. SO I have have heard 5 recordings... Not too bad, but I know there's more out there.

H
H
if you dont mind me asking whats the opus number for rach third and whut makes the piece so hard?

Chopin
Hancock
Debussy
Charles

The greatest composers in the world
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Piano Concerto No. 3 in D Minor, Op. 30

Feb2000, I"ve got a VHS of Horowitz performing the Rach 3 with Zubin Mehta and the New York Philharmonic. It's quite good, especially for a 75-year-old man with 75-year-old fingers...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-3871883-1968054?v=glance&s=video

---

89th Key has been raving about Nato Ts'vereli over in "The New Coffee Room." It's the only recording that he's heard of this concerto, and he's so in love with it!

Anybody else heard of this pianist? (I haven't!)

Sam
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Hazard2010:
if you dont mind me asking whats the opus number for rach third and whut makes the piece so hard?
Op. 30

What makes this piece so hard? Listen for yourself: 3rd Movement (5-Minute Sample)

It's from the disc " Horowitz Plays Rachmaninov ." Fantastic recording.

Sam
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think this piece is way harder than it sounds. I remember hearing it and saying "what's the fuss, I could play this easy?" And so I get the music for it and still say "It doesn't look tooooo hard." Playing it is a whole different story.

And regarding Rach 2, it's just darned awkward!

C
C
I have the Volodos recording on the way, just listened to Hamelin play it and then promptly threw my beloved Abbey Simon version in the garbage. wink
(Hamelin makes it sound too easy, not sure why he wastes his time with this piece.)

Hopefully I can find the Berezovsky version.....

egtsi alj aldoewpf! lfj!
T
TS Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by Carl_Tausig:
I have the Volodos recording on the way, just listened to Hamelin play it and then promptly threw my beloved Abbey Simon version in the garbage. wink
(Hamelin makes it sound too easy, not sure why he wastes his time with this piece.)

Hopefully I can find the Berezovsky version.....
I'm quickly becoming a very big Hamelin fan, but I didnt know he recorded the Rach 3. Is it on a commercial disc? If so, what label?

Thanks,

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
No, it is a pirate recording. Frankly, I think it is pretty bad.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Iamcanadian (or anybody else),

Have you heard Nato Ts'vereli's recording of this one? The 89th Key has been raving about it lately in the new coffee room.

Sam
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission