2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#536695 12/11/03 06:40 PM
F
OP Offline
F
How important do you think the mental aspect is in playing an instrument, a la sports psychology, and what tips do you have? Do you think teachers should also be like personal coaches and give students confidence boosting tips etc., if they don't already? After all, if you can't focus properly and you underestimate your abilites you're predestined to fail.

#536696 12/11/03 07:14 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Basically, performance psychology = performancy psychology, whether it's music, sports, martial arts, etc...

Required surfing:

www.dongreene.com

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
#536697 12/12/03 01:04 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Satori,
I am extremely interested in this subject. I am a music major, psych minor. I think that pyschology is an integral part of music, especially the music making/teaching process.
One of the best classes I have ever taken was my counseling class. I can't even begin to tell you the worlds that it opened up for me. My skills as a teacher have really been enriched.
There is so much to write about this subject, but I am extremely tired. So I will stop now.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
#536698 12/12/03 08:18 AM
V
V
The Inner Game of Music by Barry Green and Tim Gallwey. It was a follow-on to Gallwey's The Inner Game of Tennis. I don't play tennis, but the application of this methodology to the piano is interesting and useful.

At first I thought Kreisler's link was to this same guy.

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
#536699 12/13/03 04:03 AM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I tried that test on the Greene site, Kreisler, and obtained most peculiar results. It said all but two of my qualities were right up at the top, nothing at all in the middle and really poor for energy and communication. I always get silly answers when I do that sort of thing. My father (then 83) and I answered a "How Sexy Are You" test once. I scored 18 % and he scored 85%. I think all multiple choice questions box the compass in various ways.

Thanks for the link. Good fun.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley
#536700 12/14/03 02:53 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
How important do you think the mental aspect is in playing an instrument, a la sports psychology, and what tips do you have? Do you think teachers should also be like personal coaches and give students confidence boosting tips etc., if they don't already? After all, if you can't focus properly and you underestimate your abilites you're predestined to fail.
Speaking off the top of my head...

First thing that wants to come out of my mouth is "playing an instrument is not a sport". It is an art. Of course, there is art in sport and the best sportsmen are artists. But the general emphasis in sports is achievement; the emphasis in music is in the process--the creation; at least that's how I see it most of the time.

I think teachers can best boost confidence by encouraging their students to experience and face their fear(s). When we get up to play in front of people, we may be full of fear--that fear is ourselves--and it is only by learning to accept that that we can make progress in gaining confidence. If you stay with the fear, your performance may not be perfect, but it will be genuine. Over time, it will gain.

Then there is the issue of encouragement. Everyone needs encouragement--it is part of being human. We can only go so long without some reassurance that we are on the right track.

In the end, making music is a profound self-journey and we need a guide and mentor (male or female) as someone who has travelled the road ahead of us and can point out the pitfalls, illumine the truth and gently give us the confidence to face ourselves.

I remember the week leading up to my first performance in public (I was already an adult, not having lessons as a child) I was following the advice of my Alexander teacher and trying to stay soley in the present, not in the past and not in the future. One morning that week, while I was making coffee, some movement I made as I was turning around was suddenly pregnant with the jist of my fears and my eyes welled up with tears. What was that great fear that had suddenly become so clear? My great fear was that if I made a mistake during the performance, the people in the audience would think I wasn't a musician. It was a big relief and confidence builder to realize that I could make a mistake and still be considered a musician. It is this sort of insightful knowledge that I think a teacher should try to encourage. I am very fortunate, I think, to have teachers (piano teacher and Alexander teacher) that encourage me to experience my fright.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission