2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#537852 11/18/08 02:17 PM
OP Offline
Have any of you played Liszt's Rhapsodie Espagnole?

What are some of your biggest hurdles you had to overcome?

For me:

As a whole I have really had to learn how to relax more and conserve my energy. I have also had to master playing fast and quiet. I've also had to learn how to play more musically to make up for some of Liszt's compositional shortcomings as well as my own technical shortcomings in this piece (i.e. play with more direction and really bring out structural nuances that seem to go unoticed by most other pianists I have heard play this piece).

"Nothing is more intolerable than to have to admit to yourself your own errors."

~Ludwig van Beethoven~
#537853 11/18/08 02:38 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you have technical shortcomings and believe that Liszt had compositional shortcomings in this piece, I would strongly discourage you from playing it.

I think that there are many people who speak low of Liszt who don't know what they're talking about. Most pianists appreciate Liszt for his sound, imagination, sonority, and conception. Much of this is lost on the common audience, who hears only the crashing thunder.

The piece is very pianistic. The opening cadenza is among the most difficult parts of the piece. The 5-finger scales are also difficult to play evenly for many people.

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
#537854 11/18/08 02:53 PM
OP Offline
^^^^^^

See, I feel that the opening cadenza is one of the easiest parts of the piece, it fits in the hand quite nicely. The last 3 pages are probably the most difficult pages of the entire piece.

I am not speaking low of Liszt's compositional abilities only his conception of the piece (particularly developmental material). It seems that Liszt opts to use less imaginative chromaticism as developmental material to move into new sections. For example....the section starting at measure 414 is probably one of Liszt's most unimaginative and most pointless chromatic passages he has ever written. I know Liszt has the capacity to be more creative than what is heard in that section. Just listen to his B minor sonata, it has some of the most imaginative and intellectually deep developmental material ever written.

I am technically capable of playing this piece and i've had some shortcomings that I have had to overcome while learning it. Also, I would like to ask what previous posts of mine lead you to not recommend this piece for me? You've never heard me play before! Anyway, i'm not here to debate whether or not you, or anybody else, thinks I should play the piece or not because I already am and, not to toot my own horn or anything, i'm playing it damn well too. All I want to know is if you have ever played the piece and what hurdles did you have to overcome.

"Nothing is more intolerable than to have to admit to yourself your own errors."

~Ludwig van Beethoven~
#537855 11/18/08 05:37 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
With reference to the last three pages, I find them among the most comfortable.
I assume that mechanisms and techniques vary person-to-person, and will chalk it up to that. One mans toxic sludge is another man's potpourri.

And what is thematic development if not composition? Have you heard Busoni's arrangement for piano and orchestra? I don't prefer it, personally, but it gives a wonderful flavor for the variety of color afforded by Liszt's variation of registers and textures. This is what is being developed in these later sections of which you speak, not so much harmonically. I also think that the formal organization leading to the climax is indicative of planning, but I do take your point that he was harmonically uninventive at the time.

The post which comes to mind is the first post of yours which I saw, namely "Name this piece?" Most of the people making such threads are hardly even classical listeners, let alone pianists. The thread went on to reveal that it was Holst's Planets, which supported that supposition.

It seems, however, that I was mistaken, and that you are merely a pianocentric.

In conclusion, apparently you and I have different strengths and weaknesses, and I was wrong to marginalize you and your points. I ask that you refrain from swearing.

Daniel

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission