2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 9 invisible), 1,443 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#537945 01/16/06 09:08 AM
LeahG Offline OP
OP Offline
Question for the more advanced classical pianists: when you read chords, do you read them as three separate notes or intervals (this is what I do), or do you read/play them as a d minor, augmented iii, dominant 7, etc., as a jazz musician does?

#537946 01/16/06 09:54 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
It's better to play them as a chord.

It's the same as reading English - you would never read "P-i-a-n-o W-o-r-l-d"; it would be faster and much more meaningful to instead read it as "Piano World."

Sam
#537947 01/16/06 11:34 AM
LeahG Offline OP
OP Offline
I like the analogy, but it seems overwhelming to be able to recognize all of the different chords, as well as their inversions! The only chords I can easily recognize are the major triads.

#537948 01/16/06 12:18 PM
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I'm not experienced enough to just look at a chord and recognise it, so I tend to look at the evidence and then judge.

#537949 01/16/06 12:25 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
When I started, I read the notes from the bottom up. Now, I see the whole chord.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
#537950 01/16/06 01:06 PM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
This is a particularly interesting question. I don't always recognize chords in their various inversions, particulary 7th, 9th chords, or altered chords. So, I now set aside part of my practice period just working on this aspect of reading. I have reached the point where I can immediately recognize at a glance certain chords in all their configurations.These are the ones that appear most frequently such as triads and dominant 7ths.
Others I have to spell out in order to find the root, when it appears in one of the middle voices. These I write in my music notebook, in all their inversions and say them out loud, as I play them.
This has helped me enormously. Some pianists I have discussed this with object to the verbalization part of this. For me, it works, and seems to be a necessary part of my learning them. I may start out saying p-i-a-n-0, but eventually say " piano," and this is followed by my reaching the point where I don't have to verbalize them at all, but my fingers go directly to the correct keys.
We all have different ways of learning. I have to verbalize them during the learning process. After that, it becomes almost automatic for me to recognize the chord. Gaby Tu

#537951 01/16/06 02:24 PM
LeahG Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by Kreisler:
When I started, I read the notes from the bottom up. Now, I see the whole chord.
Yes, but do you see the chord's name or do you see the 3 notes as a block, like Pianojerome says when you read words? When I look at a chord, I recognize the individual notes and visualize where they spatially correspond to on a keyboard. If I play the notes E and G, I automatically know where to place my fingers; I don't think 'this is a third', to use a simple example. I am not sure if it is worth it to start memorzing all the chords in various keys! (and it seems so tedious...)

#537952 01/16/06 02:35 PM
AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Interesting. I tend to read only one note and the intervals and play that without reading all the notes. So I think I am doing the same as Jerome and reading a block. I do not know all of the chord names at sight and don't feel I really need to as my fingers seem to spread to the correct intervals without me thinking about it really.

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
#537953 01/16/06 03:07 PM
LeahG Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by AJB:
Interesting. I tend to read only one note and the intervals and play that without reading all the notes. So I think I am doing the same as Jerome and reading a block. I do not know all of the chord names at sight and don't feel I really need to as my fingers seem to spread to the correct intervals without me thinking about it really.
Oh, thank you AJB! I was hoping to hear that. The thought of having to start naming every chord at sight was enought to make me take up basket weaving instead of piano!

#537954 01/16/06 03:16 PM
I usually "see" simple major/minor chords in regular or open voicings and can recognize the chord as such. Example C-G in bass with E-G-C in treble I'd see the whole thing as one chord. Same thing with arps over a common chord. Same deal with dominant 7ths. Since I look at the key signature first I'll always "expect" the V7 chord to show up at some point anyway...

I have more trouble with less common keys like Db Major and C# Major because of the number of accidentals in the basic chord and the fact that i don't play many piece in those keys (i have played for less than 2 yrs)...

I don't have this ability with less common chords though. I think it depends on how long you have been playing and the kind of music you play. A jazz musician would no doubt be able to recoginize major and minor sevenths as a single unit after so many years of playing ii-V-I progressions.

~pianocliff

#537955 01/16/06 04:04 PM
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Mr. Jerome stole my analogy ( :p ), but it would seem you've misinterpreted it, so I'll help it along.

Take the sentence, "The dog went to school." When you read the sentence, you don't read the letters, "T-h-e d-o-g w-e-n-t t-o s-c-h-o-o-l." Now, when you're 3 years old, you might have to read every letter and piece together what the words are, but after a few years, you should begin to read fluently. And what do you read? The words. You recognize the letters "s-c-h-o-o-l" as "school", not because you've looked at each individual letter, but because you recognize the combination of letters unconsciously. Now, take it one step further...you read a story. At the end, you may not remember every little word, but you know the story.

This is what we mean when it translates to the piano. If you can recognize chords, you can forget notes. Recognize the word, and not the letters, and both your sightreading and your overall musicianship will improve greatly. Then, once you get a hang on it, you even lose the chords and remember the story. You make it that far, and there ain't much you'll ever have to "ask" how to interpret again. You'll be able to tell the story yourself. But if you're stuck on notes, you'll never be able to do that. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
#537956 01/16/06 05:06 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ocassionally I will rocognize chords as minor triads, or diminished 7ths, however I usually remember chords as patterns. I don't necessarily see each note (ie: p-i-a-n-o) but I will see it as a block. Pretty similar to what others have already said...

- Zack -
#537957 01/16/06 05:14 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I don't always know the name, but I usually will see a block. Then I can play it easily without having to think about each single note.

For example, I might see C F A, and recognize it as a familiar chord that I have seen many times before, even if I don't immediately recognize it as the second inversion of an F major chord / subdominant of C Major. I might notice that while studying the score, but when I'm just reading the score, even if I don't know exactly what the chord is, I usually do recognize it and am able to play it without having to think about each individual note.

Sam
#537958 01/16/06 05:21 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Also, after a while, experience and familiarity with basic chords helps (at least me) to recognize other unfamiliar chords. Intervals usually look the same regardless of context, so whether there is a major third in the chord (C E) G, or if there is a major third in the chord (G B) (D F#), I still recognize that interval as a major third, and I know how to play a major third. (When I say I recognize it, I don't mean to say that I see it and think, "Oh that's a major third." I recognize what it looks like on the page, and I just know how to play it.)

(The other thing about that last example - G B D F# - is that I don't even have to recognize if the thirds are major or minor, because I remember what a third looks like in general. When I see the sharp, I don't think "oh, that sharp goes with the F#", I think "oh here's a chord and the top note is sharped" so I sharp the top note of the chord)

Sam
#537959 01/16/06 05:29 PM
I read the block. I don't think I ever think chord symbols while I play. Jazz or classical.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
#537960 01/17/06 07:47 AM
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Kreisler:
I read the block. I don't think I ever think chord symbols while I play. Jazz or classical.
Yeah, the only time I've ever thought about chord symbols was while playing lead sheets. But even then, the symbol is immediately turned into its "word" or "block" as you put it. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
#537961 01/17/06 08:40 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I suppose that if you are someone who has learned to read figured bass then you're probably pretty accustomed to seeing chords in their technical form.

- Zack -
#537962 01/19/06 01:51 PM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I bought a book of Ravel yesterday. Reading tghrough the Pavanne (one of the easier pieces in it) I was struck by two things; 1) the harmony changes pretty much every quarter note, and 2) this is not standard triadic harmony. I'd like to discuss each of these a bit because it relates to reading this music.

The subtle harmonic shifts every quarter note reminds me of Bach. The reasons for the harmonic shifts are similar in that while there isn't overt counterpoint like Bach in Ravel you could say there's covert counterpoint. It's not useful to try to analyze each harmonic nuance, but recognising the intervallic shifts is very helpful to reading.

That the harmony isn't your nice functional harmony makes it that much richer. As I said above analysing every nuance is probably more work than necessary but it helps to be able to recognize the function of a major seventh chord even if the 3rd or 5th are missing.

Last, for a piece that sounds so pretty and simple it's not a simple piece to read. This is rich music that's very well crafted. I look forward to getting to know Maurice better.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission