2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Bassio Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
What silly or funny comments you heard from non-musicians on your piano playing or music in general?

I know some of the comments can make you angry though.

Im in a band with some kids at school, and I always use classical terms when Im trying to get them to play a certain way for a thing I write. It gets them lost every single time! Like I might say start piano and then crescendo to a forte, then have Tom harmonize with the sixth below, and then go down chromatically. Then one of them will say, wait, how are we supposed to play like a piano??? or something like that. It makes me laugh but gets frustrating.

sweet, sweet harmony
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Bassio:
What silly or funny comments you heard from non-musicians on ... music in general?
Reviews from amazon.com:

re: Kissin's recording of the Chopin Concertos

Kissin's phat
I ain't never heard beats like this. Evgeny Kissin ain't afraid to tell da 'hole world how it be. If you don't already have this phat disc in yo' collection you betta get to steppin' cause these beats are representin'.

Re: Complete Josef Hofmann, Vol. 6

Yo yo foo's! Hofmann be the bomb KABLAMM!
Rachmaninov considered Hofmann to be the greatest pianist he had ever seen, and these recordings are to show. Reviewing Rachmaninov's recordings of Chopin, as far as precision and skill, Hofmann kills Sergei. Every note exploads with this individual sensation of sound that only Hofmann can emit. The musical ideas are genuine. Give a listen to his original performance of Chopin's minute waltz. It's unlike anything you've ever heard. For this pianist's small fingers, he sure does have the advantage over the other greats in pounding out immaculate works from his customized Steinway & Sons.

Blew up tha Spot
What up to all my dogs out there! I gotta agree with my homie Superkike from tha desert in Tucson, A.Z., baby. Josef Hofmann gots mad skills yo. If any of y'all playas think my man Josef ain't got no skills, then take it upon yo self to try and play any piece of his. You won't be able to cuz you ain't got no game that be tight like Josef's. Josef be tha tightest playa eva. What? What's that? What eva foo! Quit doggin' my man Josef. You know he be the illest. If you don't think Josef could be as tight as other greats like Beethoven and Mozart, then I sugest you pick this album up yo. It's got mad flava. It's gots the ups and downs of every day life. Know what I mean? He be playin quick like Maurice Greene and Marion Jones. He be chillin like James Dean and Marilyn Monroe. Ya Heard?. Dis be your homeboy Thug 4Life, boning out, and hopes you join him in tha next Episode.

Even when hes dead hes still the tightest pianist out there!
Yo this Cd was off the hook this show why Hofmann was and still is the realest.This album puts dmx and jay-z's new cd to shame. Tight beat and rhythm! U wont be disapointed.

Sam
well something that makes me angry is when I'm practicing some incredibly difficult piece at school, and then some kid comes up to me and says, "can you play heart and soul?"

"hey is this bad for the piano??" as he holds down the dampers as i play....why yes it is just a little bit, YOU F***ING MORON!!!!!!

...when the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace...
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by pianobrit:
well something that makes me angry is when I'm practicing some incredibly difficult piece at school, and then some kid comes up to me and says, "can you play heart and soul?"
I usually tell them, "No," because I can't. :p wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Once in December, the phone rang, and a neighbor was on the line. "What are you doing", she asked. I told her I was in the middle of a difficult cadenza. "Oh", she said, "You have such energy. I have completely given up baking cakes for Christmas".
I haven't stopped laughing since.

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
When I was in music school, guys in the dorm who were business majors or accounting, etc, and thought my degree was just fluff: "I wish all I had to do is sit over there and play piano all day" (generally accompanied with twinkling "air piano" fingers, to capture the essence of what my life was about).

Oh, and when talking about tastes in music, and I bring up classical, people will offer "oh, i like classical, i put it on to go to sleep." :rolleyes:

(btw, I've been in a few bands, and NEVER would I even think to use terminology like "piano crescendo forte" with band members. It doesnt belong there.)

I was born the year Glenn Gould stop playing concerts. Coincidence?
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by Siddhartha:
When I was in music school, guys in the dorm who were business majors or accounting, etc, and thought my degree was just fluff: "I wish all I had to do is sit over there and play piano all day" (generally accompanied with twinkling "air piano" fingers, to capture the essence of what my life was about).

Oh, and when talking about tastes in music, and I bring up classical, people will offer "oh, i like classical, i put it on to go to sleep." :rolleyes:
Ah, but it is true of some of us business-ers. I wish all I had to do was sit and play the piano all day. That would certainly make life more enjoyable than some of the other *clears throat* @#($*&#& things I have to do. :p wink

And as for "music to fall asleep to," I cannot do it. Classical music sets off so many stories in my head that I would swoon and never fall asleep...or worse, fall asleep and forget the story. I generally set my alarm clock to a classical station to wake up to, though.

(Of course, this has inadvertently produced interesting effects.)

Once, I had to get up to catch a train. The radio alarm-clock turned the radio on on-time. It happened to be the Rach 2 that was playing. I had a dream that I was playing the Rach 2 with the group I played it with back in June. At the end of the piece, the radio continued with its "concerto morning" with Tchaikovsky. Again, in the dream, we started playing the piece. A couple minutes into the first movement, I remember thinking to myself--how can I play this when I don't know the notes?

And that's when I remember hearing the radio host's voice. I woke up...40 minutes late.

(Ever since then, I stopped listening to classical on days I have to wake up at a particular time. :p wink )

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Derulux:
Ah, but it is true of some of us business-ers. I wish all I had to do was sit and play the piano all day. That would certainly make life more enjoyable than some of the other *clears throat* @#($*&#& things I have to do. :p wink

But the point is, that being a piano major is not about "sitting over there playing piano all day". Of course, playing and practicing are two entirely different things. And practicing 8 hours a day is grueling hard work, at a level of effort and dedication that I dare say is not involved in achieving a business degree (although I could be wrong).

the implication of the remark was that being a piano major is easy and trivial. Of course, way off!! In fact, I cant think of one day where I sat around playing piano all day.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh, and music dreams?!?! there's a whole nother thread!! smile

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Sounds like it might have been Yogi Berra but who said: Classical music is better than it sounds...or something like that...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think it was Mark Twain who said: Wagner's music is not as bad as it sounds.

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"So what do you do?"

"I'm a classical pianist"

"Oooooohhhh, so are you as good as Richard Clayderman?"

I have gotten some comment about Clayderman too many times to ennumerate... :rolleyes:

Elena

Schnabel's advie to Horowitz: "When a piece gets difficult, make faces."
E
ecm Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
"Piano is different than klavier, isn't it?"

- asked my friend in school.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by EHpianist:
"So what do you do?"

"I'm a classical pianist"

"Oooooohhhh, so are you as good as Richard Clayderman?"

I have gotten some comment about Clayderman too many times to ennumerate... :rolleyes:

Elena
LOL. Ouch!! when I was in high school, and people heard of my plans, they'd ask "so you want to be the next Liberace?"

ugh!

Interesting you say you're a 'classical pianist'. Whereas people will often refer to me as a 'concert pianist' which is ludicrous of course. I dont play concerts. But YOU do. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I used to say "professional pianist" or "concert pianist" but people outside the classical music realm would then always ask "so what kind of music do you play". I don't blame them. They are right not to assume I play classical. I could be a Jazz pianist for all they know. "Classical pianist" says it all.

Elena

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
On some sites I frequent I have a photograph of me sitting at my piano. I often hear, therefore : "Oh, do you play the piano?"

I feel like replying: "No, it's just a $XX,XXX.xx piece of furniture, nitwit!"

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh, Oh! And then there was the time when I told my High School guidance counselor that I was going to go to New England Conservatory to make the piano my career. She gave me the kindest, most pityful look you can imagine and said: "Oh honey, but you're so SMART..." I wanted to slap her.

Elena

D
D
My high school basketball coach saw me play piano at a school assembly and asked me later if I ever worried about hurting my fingers while playing basketball. I was young, and in a moment of honesty and stupidity, told him, yes, I do think about it from time to time. Before he told me that I'd ride the bench the rest of my life, he flapped his lifeless gnarled mitts, that he called hands, at me and stated that he could play piano better than I could if he wished and that he'd never given a second thought to his fingers. This was in about 1977. I'm pleased to note that he retired last year after providing generations of students the benefit of his wit and wisdom. I only hope they took him as seriously as I did.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission