2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#539792 09/02/05 12:06 AM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Is it just me, or do a lot of Beethovens most famous themes sound very similar. For example: The Choral Fantasy, the main theme from the 1st movement of the 6th symphony, and Ode to Joy from the 9th. They all sound like variations of the same theme. I don't mean to demean the brilliance of all these works - they are each unquestionably individual masterpieces - but it's been bothering me for a while. Am I the only one?

- Zack -
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i think you're not mistaken. in fact, Beethoven used some same themes in different works. even today or yesterday when i drove to work, i heard a Beethoven contra dance piece which is totally unfamiliar to me except that very familiar theme (sounded like in one of his symphonies).

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
What is that popular phrase we should remember? "Reduce, reuse, and recycle" I think? wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well, I don't personally see too much similarity in the ode to joy theme and the 6th symphony, but there is an obvious similarity between ode to joy and the choral fantasy. There is also a lied that he wrote that uses a very similar theme called Seufzer eines Ungeliebten - Gegenlieb (WoO 118).

Also, he used the same theme in the 3rd movement of the Eroica symphony, the Eroica variations, and in the ballet music to The Creatures of Prometheus.

He definitely reused some melodies, but we certainly can't hold that against him - he knew a good tune when he had one. Also, it is likely that he had to meet some commitments that were rather aggressive, so rather than come up with a brand new melody, maybe he just chose to rework an existing one.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ha, you should see how much Bach recycles material for concertos...

D
D
Beethoven spent a great deal of time thinking about the ninth symphony, it's something that germinated over a LONG period of time.

The choral fantasy was rumored to be his first try at it, but it took longer than that to germinate.

Welcome to WWW.ZOMBO.COM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
And then there's Mahler, recycling that beautiful theme from the first symphony for the third, as well.

There is no end of learning. -Robert Schumann Rules for Young Musicians
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Palindrome:
And then there's Mahler, recycling that beautiful theme from the first symphony for the third, as well.
Which themes/movements are you referring to?

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Zack,

You're not mistaken. He used the same theme in both the Choral Fantasy and his 6th and 9th Symphonies.

The contradance that Signa speaks of is the same theme in his finale to the the Eroica Symphony (No. 3). He also wrote some Eroica Variations on the same theme for piano. The variations, by the way, are really hard.

I can imagine trying to please a publisher's schedule, running out of ideas, and/or running out of time. I am sure that he, like many other artists and composers had scrapbooks of things that they borrowed on to meet deadlines. My dad did this as a graphic artist (now retired) when he needed to put together layouts for customers.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission