2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
My piano teacher recommended the above DVD. She implied that it is pretty much a staple for anyone seeking to improve their technique by learning from some of the world's great masters. I plan to order it, but also noticed another book entitled "The Art of the Piano: Its Performers, Literature, and Recordings (revised and expanded edition) by David Dubai. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a companion work but it popped us a recommended book for people who bought the DVD. (I know, I'm succumbing to the marketers.) I would be interested in others' comments on the works and/or recommendations on others. Personally, I never thought of watching a DVD to improve my technique but I guess it makes sense. And I already have plenty of books that I still hope to read one day, so while I'm not necessarily looking for more, I guess I want to try to vet the Dubai book before adding yet another book to my library. Thanks.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I believe the author of the book is David Dubal and I have the book. The DVD would be interesting from two aspects--aural and visual. The aural would give you a perspective on the technical and musical abilities of each performer while the visual would allow you to see hand, wrist, arm, and body motion. Of course,that would depend on the angle, close-up, distance, etc. The pianists of the early part of the 20th century would be much more individualistic than those of today which my teacher referred to as stereotypes. Anyway, it will be interesting to read your review of the disc after you've had a chance to review it.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
"Personally, I never thought of watching a DVD to improve my technique"

I did.
"Mastering Piano Technique" DVD.
Whilst many of the tips he gives are too "advanced" for me, I was very satisfied as the dvd explains movements of the hands etc. with an immediacy that the book (which I also bought) cannot have. The angles of the camera are chosen in a way to maximise the use for you, it is divided in chapters, the chap is good and communicative, in short a very good product.

This DVD improved a lot my consideration for the medium as a way of learning and I am now waiting for a DVD about music memorisation.

"The man that hath no music in himself / Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds / Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils." (W.Shakespeare)

Kemble Conservatoire 335025 Walnut Satin
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was going to start a thread about this DVD tonight; if i was here half an hour earlier . . .

I'm hoping to buy the DVD off the internet somewhere, I'll have a look now.

This is a pointless reply really!! I just thought it interesting that there's a thread about the DVD here just as I was going to go order it and post a thread saying I had and asking what to expect or something!

Patience's the best teacher, and time the best critic. - F.F.Chopin
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Never ignore your local library. My local library purchased numerous classical DVDs at my recommendation. This one is one in their collection now. Remember to try your local library...

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
N
OP Offline
N
Originally posted by hopinmad:
I was going to start a thread about this DVD tonight; if i was here half an hour earlier . . .

I'm hoping to buy the DVD off the internet somewhere, I'll have a look now.

This is a pointless reply really!! I just thought it interesting that there's a thread about the DVD here just as I was going to go order it and post a thread saying I had and asking what to expect or something!
hopinmad: Patience is indeed the best teacher; your patience paid off!

B
B
The Art of Piano DVD also is available from Netflix. It's certainly worth watching, very interesting to see some of the early and mid-20th century masters playing, although at times the sound is slightly off from the fingering.

Roland FP-7
N
OP Offline
N
AndrewG: good point! I do patronize my local library, but DID overlook a search there in this case. I put a reserve on the book but they didn't have the DVD, unfortunately.

-----

Cheeto717: its on youtube.

Wow, that's pretty cool. I had of course heard of youtube before, but had never actually visited the site. Thanks!

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
youtube turned out to be an amazing resource for finding little gems of really great performances. just give it a try.

example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl9MvizSf78

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by nycplayer:
AndrewG: good point! I do patronize my local library, but DID overlook a search there in this case. I put a reserve on the book but they didn't have the DVD, unfortunately.
I don't know about your library's policies. My local one would try nationwide to locate a copy, be it a book, tape, CD or DVD, if one is found and that library does lends items out I can expect to have it in several weeks. More often than not my local library purchased a copy of its own collection... In my case the local library is an excellent source!

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Im gonna chime in and say get the book by david duval...its an invaluable resource for any pianist, my copy is litterally falling apart from over use.

C
C
I like this show. But maybe the featured artists are little too old for me. Maybe they didn't include the living pianists for a purpose, but I would like to see some Zimerman, Argerich, Barenboim etc...

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
For Zimerman, Argerich, Barenboim the music world is not really short of videos. Many are presently available.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission