2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi,

I recorded Danza de la Moz Donosa from Ginestera's three Argentenian dances. I'm playing it for a student recital today. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.savefile.com/files/463767

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thank you V, for sharing your recital piece with us.

You happen to be playing one of my favorite pieces of music. I was exposed to it from WZKIT from the PWF. You can find his interpretation in the SHARING MUSIC section.
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/29/222.html

It looks like you have the notes down and are playing them quite well. And Big Kudos for making a recording and sharing it with us. That, I know is a big thing. ;-) I am sure that you did just fine in the recital!

You have asked for feedback, which I will give you honestly a teacher's point of view.

To me, it sound like you are ready for the next level.

Music Interpretation.

Would you like to learn more about it?

Do not be afraid of moving the steady beats a little forward and a little backwards in time, here or there. Let yourself go. Get into the spirit of a piece. Let the music tell you, go faster here, slower there, louder here and softer there.

For this piece - Think:

It has been written about someone sitting high on a mt watching a young girl twirling about freely in the valley below. Dancing to her own dreamy whims, thinking that NO ONE is watching and she is FREE as a bird. She does not count beats. She flows about whirling her skirt, dipping here, raising her head there, and stomping her feet and raising her arms at times as she twirls.

I think about her as I play the piece.

So, Let the music flow. It is there within you. Let it out.

You have done just fine...and it is time to relax the beat and think of song. You are accomplished enough to let the music and dreams out.

BTW - Do I play it just like Wzkit?

No. But then, that is what interpretation is all about. I play it a lot slower.

I would love to be a fly on the wall, as you try to make this an imaginary dance.

LL

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, lilylady!

I love the imagery about the girl dancing freely. That captures the spirit of this piece perfectly! I will attempt to add more musicality and incorporate rubato next time I practice.

H
H
Good job on your recording!

I love this piece, and played it before a jury last year.

I like your tempo -- but you need to put a bit more passion into it -- and keep the dynamic crescendo steadily climbing, climbing -- louder and louder to the climax.

Last year, when I finally got to the bottom of the exact meaning of "Danza de la Moza Donoza" --I learned that the dance of the young girl can have a 'not-so-nice' interpretation -- depending apparently on whether you are using the Catalan or the Castilian language.

When you listen to Martha Augerich (also an Argentinian) play this second dance, she plays it with such passion and (okay I'll say it) sexual abandon -- that it leaves one breathless.

You've got all the notes -- now, as LL says --
Let yourself go.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nice job on a first attempt. You clearly have all the notes in your fingers, and as the other posters have mentioned, now its time to let yourself go!

The basic tempo is fine...faster or slower can work well with this piece. But whatever tempo you choose, the rubato has to be there, in order to give the sense of rhythmic freedom. Do not count the beats consciously, as Roberta has mentioned. The rhythm should be felt internally, but around that, there's lots of room for flexibility and freedom. Think of the rubato as the stretching an elastic band - you can be really flexible with the rhythm, but not to the point where it becomes distorted. I am having difficulty in achieving that myself, but I never stop trying!

Sauter 185 Delta with accelerated action and burl walnut fallboard
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the tips! The piece went well with at the recital. My piano teacher also tells me that this piece is very romantic, and that whatever I do to it, it'll be almost impossible to go too far with it. :p I've always played conservatively though, so abandon is hard for me at times.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Virginia:
When you listen to Martha Augerich (also an Argentinian) play this second dance, she plays it with such passion and (okay I'll say it) sexual abandon -- that it leaves one breathless.
I don't care for Argerich's performance at all. She rushes through it. Listen to Barbara Nissman's recordings - she studied with Ginastera and, according to Ginastera himself, gives the best interpretations of his music.

- Zack -
I love IT!!!! Not too much experience here, but I realy enjoy it!!!
Virtuoso, I think you mean "GinAstera" not "GiNestera" =P
And also is...."De la Moza Donosa" ^^

You play it great!!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Personally, I think that the slight touches of rubato and overall phrasing displayed by Virtuoso are tasteful and sufficient, rather than pulling it around all over the place: there is more than one way to skin a cat, even an Argentinian one wink . That said, I did mention in another thread about this piece, there could be a bit more passion towards the climax, though I was talking more about dynamic levels than a variation in tempo.

-Michael B.

There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the compliments and tips!

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by virtuoso_735:
Hi,

I recorded Danza de la Moz Donosa from Ginestera's three Argentenian dances. I'm playing it for a student recital today. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.savefile.com/files/463767
The "feedback" is a little late in coming from me. I don't know the work, so I can't comment on specifics. What I can comment on, however :

Tempo - the tempo you chose seems to suit the music admirably; it has an elegant grace to it that is very pleasing.

Phrasing - some fine phrasing throughout; I had the sense that your phrases were well-turned, nicely "breathed" and never rushed.

Dynamics - the overall dynamics of your playing gave a lovely shape to the piece.

I really enjoyed this; thanks so much for sharing.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission