2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#544198 07/03/01 09:33 AM
J
Joe Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Well no, but since we're on the subject of recordings, can anyone tell me of some good Debussy recordings? Debussy is another area of music that is fairly foreign to me. I never cared a great deal for him, but a friend of mine played some recently, and I liked everything he played, so now I want to hear more.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Joe,

Walter Gieseking's complete Debussy recording is well-received. It's been somewhat accepted as a classic. French pianist Samson Francois is, IMO, a Debussy natural. Try his playing and see if you like it. Another name among my favorite Debussians is Ivan Moravec.

For the 12 Etudes I'd recommend M. Uchida and Ju-Ying Song. The latter is not a widely known name to the public. She is, however, a maturing pianist with unusual insights. If you choose, search for her CDs under the label ProPiano.

I'm sure others would come up with more recs.

Cheers!

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Krystian Zimmerman recently recorded the complete preludes, and it looks like it's going to be viewed as definitive of contemporary pianism in the years to come. For some good old school, look for Alfred Cortot.

J
Joe Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks much for the suggestions, I'm going to keep my eyes open for them. I have one Dubussy recording, by Rubinstein. I like it well enough, but I've been told that it its somewhat 'unconventional'. It will be good to compare it with some other performances.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It might surprise you to learn that that "recent" recording of the Preludes by Krystian Zimerman dates from 1994, (how time flies when you're having fun!) but it is still considered a definitive recording of the Preludes; it would be hard to beat.
In the early 1990's, Gordon Fergus-Thompson recorded the "complete Piano Music" of Debussy on the ASV label; I have three of them, Vols. 3, 4, and 5 and find them outstanding. Very much worth listening to if you can find them.
You should also not overlook the single disc by Paul Roberts - nicely recorded on a Bosendorfer Concert grand, by the way - of "Debussy Piano Music" as it's called (Classical Recording Company, CRC501-2, 1994). It is particularly interesting, in the light of his Debussy scholarship; see his book "Images, The Piano Music of Claude Debussy," Amadeus Press, Portland, OR, 1996.
Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
A
A
Phillipe Cassard has recently played the complete piano music of Debussy to very high acclaim. I'd recommend giving him a try... I heard his complete preludes and they were quite stunning.

And I'd agree with taking a look at Alfred Cortot also. Rubinstein isn't that excellent with impressionist music I find... he's absolutely wonderful with Classical and Romantic but when it comes to Debussy, I find he is uncomfortable... too jerky, not good shaping... I don't know... that's just my opinion.

Cheers

cheers

Aura
R
R
I actually like Rubinstein's recordings of impressionistic music, at least the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

I would add a couple more sets to everybody else's great suggestions. I really like Gulda's early set of Debussy's 24 Preludes. It was recorded in the 50's, so the sound isn't the best. But, I think they are very imaginative and pleasing to listen to. I also really like a disk of Michelangeli that I have playing both books of Images and the Children's Corner. Fantastic playing in that one.

Ryan

J
Jac Offline
J
I agree, Michelangeli's recordings on Debussy are some of the best. It's a double DGG, a bit expensive but IMO it's worth the price. The Children's Corner is especially great: his "Serenade for the doll" is unlike any other I've heard, it's very elegant and neat. His Preludes too are great: his touch is very soft, gentle, imaginative.

I also like Richter's recs of the Estampes, especially the first one (Pagodes). I have his live recording in Salzburg, 1977.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I would add to Jac's..Richter "Suite Bergamasque" (my favorite "Clair de Lune") This is from the "Richter In Salzburg 1977" CD also. Music & Art #CD-1019

J
Joe Offline OP
OP Offline
J
This sure is a great turn out, thanks again!

J
Joy Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
There is a Debussy piece on a movie soundtrack that's delightful. Can't get enough of it. It's entitled "Petite SuiteÑBallet," performed by Alfons and Aloys Kontarsky for two pianos. Anyone know this work?

We have the Preludes performed by Dino Ciani and the Suite Bergamasque by Tam‡s V‡s‡ry on the same DG disk. It was highly recommended by my son's piano teacher.

Joy

D
D
Hi Joy,

Neil & Jill recorded that one on my (digital)piano recently. I put an mp3 up at:

Debussy - Petite Suite (Ballet)

Hope you like it smile

J
Joy Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Wow. Today is my birthday, so hearing this piece pouring out gloriously from my computer is a real treat. Thank you so much, Diarmuid.

Regards,
Joy

laugh laugh laugh
Y A Y !

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Joy ]

J
Joe Offline OP
OP Offline
J
That was pretty nice smile

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission