2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 11 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I know i just posted something, but i had to get this off my chest..
Does anyone else go through these really intense periods where they will be so into piano for like 2 months, you know, practicing hours every day, and then suddenly for like 1 month never want to see the piano again? Or at least not really play it? I feel horrible, b/c i am the worship leader in my church, and once i get into the "slump" i am playing for church and supposed to be worhsipping, when all i really want to do is yell and slam the piano lid down! But then i will get going back onto that really intense track again. Am i the only one out there like this?

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I know exactly what you mean, Muse. There are times when I become so obsessed with the piano that I even dream about it--last night I had a dream involving the Rachmaninoff Second Sonata. At other times, I become resentful and wish I had never heard of the piano, or simply lose interest altogether!

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
haha, yeah, i totally do that! i will have dreams about it...and its funny you say Rachmaninoff, also, because thats who i usually have dreams about ( though i am reading a really large biography on him, so that may have an influence!)Thiugh i once did have a dream about Arcadi Volodos ( how random!)I wish there was a way to have that intense creative flow all the time...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi all,

It's nice to see I'm not the only one with this. (Pianoitis? laugh ) I am absolutely smitten with the piano. And the feeling is only getting stronger. I've had many "piano dreams." I once had this dream that I was Elton John! (Well, we're both gay, nearsighted piano players..hehe) Even though my recital didn't go as well as I wanted, I still love music and love the piano. There have been times when I get so frustrated that I almost want to quit. If I quit, then all those "demons" (low self-esteem, anxiety, depression, perfectionism) win. I vow never to let that happen.

Hilary

Hilary aka LadyElton

Check out my blog

"Looking like a true survivor..."
-- Sir EJ/BT '83
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I definitely move in waves; times when I can't play enough, others when I'd just as soon paint my nails. I find that the breaks, though they generally set me back on technical progression, often resort in a reformulation of my thoughts on the music. That is, I tend to play more musically after one of my breaks (or with greater focus on the musical content rather than the technical content.

But I have so little time to play that I never get burned out to the point that I hate the sight of the piano. I do this for myself, so when I'm not enjoying it I get up and walk away. Perhaps for an hour, perhaps for a month.

Cork

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I find that I get the most inspired when i listen to an incredible piano piece performed. I went to the Philly orchestra and heard The Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 2....wow! After that i was on for like 3 months! there was no stopping me! Myabe i need to go to the symphony more often! ( too bad its hard for us poor college students to afford it!)

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PianoMuse:
[QB]I find that I get the most inspired when I went to the Philly orchestra and heard The Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 2....wow!
null[QUOTE]Originally posted by PianoMuse:

Was Arcadi Volodos the soloist in the Prokofiev 2? I saw him recently in the Prokofiev 2 and he was incredible!! That is one of the most difficult concertos in the standard literature....A monster! Volodos made it look like a 'walk in the park'

Love/Hate, I know what you mean. For me it's not hate, but it's more like a major challenge that you can never really conquer; like a dragon you can never slay, but then I come to my senses & realize that I'm not trying to compete with anyone or prove anything--I just play to please myself and I become one again with the piano, so to speak.

Mat D.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Yes, it was Arcadi Volodos! wasn't he incredible?? oh, i was on the edghe of my seat the entire time...and even better, i had a perfect view of him and his hands. The thing that suprised me the most, however, was that he used a regular chair instead of a piano bench! I couldnt believe it, i mean, with a peice like that i would imagine you would have to do some sliding around. he must have huge hands!

R
R
i'd have to say the one thing that motivated me to play the most was a beautiful ballet dancer i went out with a few times.....she broke my heart into a million pieces, and i still played the heck out of my piano....she inspired me to start learning liszt's spanish rhapsody.....it has shown me what i'm really capable of with the piano - my own personal benchmark for now i guess.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. - Hector Berlioz
D
D
Everything goes up or down..

Sure I know exactly what you mean.. I also get theese up's and down's with my (parents) piano.. But usually all it takes for me to get the up's instead of 'downs' is to just sit and listen to one of my cd's with Beethoven or Chopin or whoever I find on my shelf. smile

Peace man
- Daniel

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission