2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, danno858, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#545102 02/20/02 09:05 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
well, because of my injury i am out for about 6 months, which is devastating because i was really rolling on the rach 2 and prokofiev 1...

anyways, does anyone know of any good right hand pieces out there that are fairy easy to obtain? i know that there is a lot of piano written for left hand...are any of those suitable for right hand, either? or any pieces which could be played with the right hand, even though its written for both? HELP ME!
I AM DESPERATE TO PLAY AN ACTUAL PIECE!

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: PianoMuse ]

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
#545103 02/20/02 10:33 PM
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Amy,

Okay, listen.

I know that it sucks. I've been there (tendonitus in my left arm) and had to take several months off. It's so depressing because we can't do the one thing that makes us so happy and keeps us motivated. Not to mention that (at least when I had it) it can make you have an identity crisis - am I still a pianist even though I'm injured?

BUT, you have to think about it like this: either take a few months off or take a few years off if you keep playing. I know that you're just interested in right hand music (sorry to say that there is little), but any intense muscular movement is resonated throughout the body and your left hand will surely pick up the negative sympathetic vibrations.

Take the time to focus more on other aspects of music - theory, history, analysis, listening to recordings with a critical ear. Even better and more pertinent to your situation is to do lots of research about performance injuries and write a paper. Although it's not an assignment per se, it's something that you can always refer back to and even help other people if they are ever in the same boat. Another good idea would be to take up running or other light exercise - anything to get the blood circulating through the whole body will help you heal faster.

Life is long! Just take a rest from piano for a few months and ease your way back into it. Your first commitment is always to yourself, and in this case your commitment is to healing yourself.

And yes, I will help you with your theory. laugh

#545104 02/21/02 01:05 AM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
well, here lies my problem:
the most i can take off is about 4 months. i am a piano major...anything more will set me back and i feel like it will just keep lowering my chances of getting into a really good grad school...
my teacher also says that i have to practice right-hand, i dont have a choice. aghhhh! its all very frustrating.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
#545105 02/21/02 01:19 AM
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Whose hand is injured? Yours or your teacher's?

#545106 02/21/02 11:21 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Muse, This might be a good time to learn a new piece, particularly ones with a difficult right but easy left, like maybe a waltz or a jazz piece. This also gives you a chance to really study the music by using your right hand to play the left part. This supposedly really helps the learning process. Then when your left is ready, you will have them down relatively quickly.

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
#545107 02/21/02 11:46 AM
P
P
How about Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu (Op. 66 #4)? It's really best to practice right and left hand separately anyway because of the fast 4 against 3 rythm and then put them together once you have both pretty automatic. The left hand is pretty easy, so once your left hand is healed it shouldn't take very long to finish it.

Patti

#545108 02/22/02 04:19 AM
S
S
Ahhhh Grasshopper...you worry so....you have been given a rare oppertunity. You will now be given a chance to learn the truth in music; 99% of the Art of Music is mental. How often have we spent mindless hours playing Hanon? Here is your chance to study MUSIC! Not theory, or why Bach chose the chords he did, but the songs themselves. Can Grasshopper pick up an unknown piece of music and play it mentally? Know the sounds of every chord and rhythm? Can you transcribe music from a CD without the aid of an instrument? Beethoven wrote beautiful music while he was DEAF! He was one with the music. You have been given a great oppertunity to be one with the music. Sieze the moment. If you take full advantage of this oppertunity, you WILL become a better musician than if you NEVER HAD AN INJURY! Exercise your mind and not your fingers for awhile. Then perhaps Grasshopper,....you will be able to snatch the pebble from my hand......

|| ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || |||
#545109 02/22/02 11:01 PM
A
Amy Offline
A
When I was out due to an injury last year, I started composing music. I would play a melody with my right hand and then add in all the other stuff after on the computer. I learned a lot about music in general from doing that. I also bought lots of CDs and really listened to the music. I also went to many concerts and listened and picked up on some techniques and I learned a lot about performing in general from watching the way the players carried themselves. Just because you are not actually playing, doesn't mean that you are not still learning and being a musician. I did play every day with my right hand but I only did it for about 15 minutes per day. If you want more to do, I suggest that you read some books about music related injuries. It is actually really interesting. After this is all over, you will be very glad that you took the time to get over your injury. Trust me on this one. If you need any more suggestions of things you can do or if you just need to talk to someone, you can e-mail me. Pianogirl185@aol.com

-Amy-
*Visit my page! http://www.expage.com/pianopalace
#545110 02/23/02 04:42 AM
R
R
Originally posted by Shadorunnr:
Ahhhh Grasshopper...you worry so....you have been given a rare oppertunity. You will now be given a chance to learn the truth in music; 99% of the Art of Music is mental. How often have we spent mindless hours playing Hanon? Here is your chance to study MUSIC! Not theory, or why Bach chose the chords he did, but the songs themselves. Can Grasshopper pick up an unknown piece of music and play it mentally? Know the sounds of every chord and rhythm? Can you transcribe music from a CD without the aid of an instrument? Beethoven wrote beautiful music while he was DEAF! He was one with the music. You have been given a great oppertunity to be one with the music. Sieze the moment. If you take full advantage of this oppertunity, you WILL become a better musician than if you NEVER HAD AN INJURY! Exercise your mind and not your fingers for awhile. Then perhaps Grasshopper,....you will be able to snatch the pebble from my hand......

this post rocks

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. - Hector Berlioz

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission