Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#545235 - 01/18/02 02:31 PM New to forum / here is an interesting phenomonon
Stanza Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
Hello, this is my first post. Great forum. I am in my 40s (but well preserved). Took lesson through H.S., but never practiced. (When you and your friends are listening to Cream, Hendrix, the Beatles, etc. its hard to get pumped up about playing the Merry Widow Waltz). Got back into piano as an adult.
Anyway, something of interest: For years I have played the Moonlight Sonata 1st mvt. It is generally pretty good except for a few of those annoying "bumps" that always seem occur in the same places, and are tough to get rid of. I recently downloaded a new copy of the sheet music (same notes but a different transcription)...and played the piece from this much, much better! I think psychologically it got me away from some negative cues associated with the transcription from which I learned. Like "oh no I always screw up playing this part after turning the page", or seeing markings for trouble spots, etc." Has anyone experienced this? I proceeded to try it with Chopin's C#mi Waltz OP 64 # 2. Same thing...played it better.
Maybe it is just me, and others might find the opposite, that they need the "comfort" of their original piece of music.
Personally I think that it is great because just as I don't carry my piano with me, I don't carry my sheet music around either. So if I go to someones house, and they want me to play something on their piano and have some standard piano literature, I can feel very comfortable playing from their books.
Estonia L190 #7004
Casio PX 310
Yamaha NP 30

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#545236 - 01/18/02 06:16 PM Re: New to forum / here is an interesting phenomonon
Praetorian_AD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: England
In the way of interesting phenomena, I've found that by playing the left-hand part with the right and vice versa, just by themselves, is very effective at memorisation and other skills. At first this confused me as to why it suceeds, but I'm now pretty sure it's because it makes you think about the notes again, rather than just letting your fingers remember and figure it all out. Just thought I'd share that little tidbit with you all.

#545237 - 01/19/02 07:37 AM Re: New to forum / here is an interesting phenomonon
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Stanza:

I'm not sure about your use of the word transcription. A transcription is an "arrangement" of a composition, often for an instrument other than the one for which it was originally written. If you're talking about the Beethoven "Moonlight" do you simply mean a different printing, or a different edition of the original?

You did say "same notes" so I presume you are talking about the original Op 27 No 2 and you mean that you have downloaded not a different "transcription" but a different edition of the work.

Not to nit-pick, but there is a distinct difference in meaning, and I want to understand what you did to understand your post.

Regards,

#545238 - 01/21/02 03:12 AM Re: New to forum / here is an interesting phenomonon
Shadorunnr Offline

Loc: Oklahoma City
Stanza, I understand your problem. I have a version of Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# Minor that is"clarified-but not simplified by Allen Small". I didn't understand this untill I saw another version that was "unclarified". I have a difficult time playing this as it is notated so differently it is hard to read. The problem I have is, the Allen Small version cuts a five page song into only two pages, and the other version is difficult to read the missing parts. It occured to me that I could transcribe the "unclarified" version on the computer, using a notation program, using the style of Allen Small. This would have two benifits, not only could I have one easily read version, but in the process of transcribing it (desiding how best to group notes for ease of reading and movement from one chord to the next,) I would learn the song more intimately, since I would have to think of hand placement as I notated. Now all I need to do is get a notation program. : )

#545239 - 01/22/02 10:18 AM Re: New to forum / here is an interesting phenomonon
Stanza Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
BruceD,
Yes, to be more accurate, playing better from a different printing or edition of the music is what I meant (same notes). However, sometimes the same notes can be "transcribed" differently... for example when Beethovan has a line of notes played by the right hand that descends from the upper to the lower staff, as opposed to notating RH upper LH lower exclusively. Same notes, just a different way of stating them. (although this can achieve interpretive differences)
Estonia L190 #7004
Casio PX 310
Yamaha NP 30

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
70 registered (Al LaPorte, barmassimo, beeboss, ando, 20 invisible), 1178 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156326 Topics
2295913 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano technician cost list
by ascc
08/01/14 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
08/01/14 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
08/01/14 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
08/01/14 12:17 AM
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
07/31/14 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission