2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#545589 01/12/02 11:10 AM
L
Lindsay Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Many, MANY years ago I did a lot of arranging and recording with a small MIDI set-up I had. I'd like to get back into it, but it will require that I purchase another computer, sequencing software and hardware interfaces.

I'm looking for a lot of information because I know that technology has changed so much since I was last involved with this kind of thing. I'm looking for the following:

- Good, basic, easy-to-learn sequencing software
- The proper hardware interfaces
- How to lay down accoustic tracks (vocal and piano)and record them to the computer, as well.

I already have all the mixing equipment, mics, etc. I just need help with the new-fangled way of doing things. Thanks a bunch!

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: Lindsay ]

#545590 01/12/02 05:09 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hi Lindsay,

I'm not sure which of the following would be the easiest to get into, but six of the best applications at the moment would be:

Steinberg Cubase VST
Steinberg Nuendo
Emagic Logic
Cakewalk
Sonar
Sibelius

Hope that helps a bit. I have a rather elderly version of Cubase VST that I have felt no need to upgrade from because the basic MIDI side of things hasn't changed for several years and that's the only part of the software that I use.

Were you looking to record and mix audio with a computer or simply use it for MIDI and drive an outboard multitrack machine instead?

Regarding hardware interfaces, if you don't already have one, you'll almost certainly be needing a MIDI interface and possibly a multichannel audio card as well?

As for miking up pianos... Now that is another thread in itself!

What kind of room is the piano in? What kind of piano do you have? What kind of microphones do you have? How much patience do you have? wink

Dave

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: jazzyd ]

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
#545591 01/12/02 05:21 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Hi Lindsay,
Two things:
1. At what level of investment are you looking to get in? (what's your budget?) The good news is that there are lots of options at just about any price point. Also, I wouldn't buy anything for at least a couple weeks. The NAMM show is this coming week. This is where all the new software/hardware will be introduced.

2. In addition to the list that JazzyD recommended, I'd add Digital Performer (my personal fav) and Pro Tools LE.

PianoWorld disclaimer: musician, producer, arranger, author, clinician, consultant, PS2 aficionado, secret agent...
#545592 01/12/02 06:00 PM
D
D
Hi Lindsay,

Rather than have it badly explained by me, have a look at:

Sound on Sound Website

Go to the "Articles" page and in the left hand frame click "100+ useful SOS articles". There are lots of instruction articles on home recording including detailed and specific advice on the type of setup you've asked about.

Good luck smile

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: Diarmuid ]

#545593 01/12/02 06:22 PM
L
Lindsay Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks for all the advice so far, folks. Regarding my current setup, I have my Petrof Model III in a regular living room (soft furniture, carpeting, the usual) and have loads of patience. I had my own audio engineering business for a number of years, so I'm aware of miking techniques and will be using the computer for mixing. I'll record the mixed tracks onto a DAT recorder.

I wanted the ability to lay down accoustic piano and vocal tracks, too, and wondered if it was a simple matter to record them along with the MIDI tracks, or if it's better to lay them down when mixing down to tape.

As far as an audio card goes, I'm not familiar enough with the options to know what I would need in the computer. Can you expound a bit on what's required?

My budget is up to a couple of hundred dollars (not including the computer, obviously), but I'm hoping to spend as little as possible. I just don't know what software packages and hardware interfaces cost nowadays.

Thanks again.

#545594 01/12/02 06:43 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I'd be happy to give you a post-NAMM report as to hardware/software options. But given you've had pro engineering experience, I'd think you're not likely to be happy with what you can get in the $200 range. But then again, you never know what's being debuted at NAMM. . .

Regarding your other question, it's actually very easy to track audio (piano in your case) along with your MIDI tracks. You can even edit the audio just like MIDI.

PianoWorld disclaimer: musician, producer, arranger, author, clinician, consultant, PS2 aficionado, secret agent...
#545595 01/12/02 08:25 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by Lindsay:

"I wanted the ability to lay down accoustic piano and vocal tracks, too, and wondered if it was a simple matter to record them along with the MIDI tracks, or if it's better to lay them down when mixing down to tape."

Well, it's simple when you've familiarised yourself with whatever software you're using. I think the best way would be to record the audio tracks into the computer alongside the MIDI tracks first and worry about mixing later, when you're ready to commit to tape/disc - although that's just the way I prefer to work.

"As far as an audio card goes, I'm not familiar enough with the options to know what I would need in the computer. Can you expound a bit on what's required?"

There are many different cards and they all do and need different things. The Digidesign (Protools) hardware and Mark of the Unicorn stuff is pretty high end, and the results are likewise, but you'd probably need a good Pentium - I think Protools stuff won't run on AMD computers. Midiman/M-Audio have a range models to suit people (and computers) on a budget.

I personally use an RME Hammerfall in my machine, this has digital I/O and a wordclock interface and works pretty flawlessly but doesn't break the bank. However, it is a card that I've chosen for quite a specific purpose and without having a firm idea of how you want to integrate your equipment and the computer, it's very difficult to suggest a card that would suit you.

"My budget is up to a couple of hundred dollars (not including the computer, obviously), but I'm hoping to spend as little as possible. I just don't know what software packages and hardware interfaces cost nowadays."

I should have read this first - sorry! Have a look at the Midiman/M-Audio cards - they're pretty good quality and would just about fit your budget. Prices for the software I mentioned unfortunately range from quite expensive to VERY expensive! frown

I agree with Steve's comments as well, BTW. smile

Dave

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: jazzyd ]

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
#545596 01/12/02 09:28 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
The best bang-for-the-buck that I know of at the moment is the Tascam US-428. It's got XLR as well as 1/4" inputs, digital I/0 as well (S/PDIF). The hardware itself is a little minimixer with 8 faders although it supports unlimited banks. The cool part is that for the list price of $625 it includes Cubase VST. Did I mention the converters are all 24-bit? I'm not crazy about USB audio. But for the price you can't beat it (yet).

There's an emagic piece that's a little less money, but it doesn't include software. Considering that Digital Performer is $995 for the software only, I think the Tascam piece is a good value.
My prediction for NAMM is that we'll see a lot of firewire-based hardware at lower prices than are currently available. That might be the way to go.

#545597 01/12/02 09:33 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
a couple more things:
Here's a link for the Tascam US-428 http://www.tascam.com/products/us428/index.php
Also, note that it has a MIDI interface built-in. Pretty cool.

Also, one correction regarding JazzyD's post: Digital Performer only runs on a Mac. BTW - the new iMac has got to be a serious contender for any home-based digital studio!!!

#545598 01/12/02 10:26 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I meant the MOTU hardware Steve - like the 2408 Mk II, which you can use for the PC and the MAC.

I don't know anything about Digital Performer, so it could run on unleaded and I'd be no wiser!

Dave

#545599 01/12/02 11:51 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
JazzyD - I just re-read your post. Sorry, I misunderstood. I have an original 2408. Great piece.

#545600 01/13/02 06:41 AM
R
R
to jazzyd:

i'm running an amd, and many of my friends run amd's, and i have never heard of or had any problems, software or hardware, that have come up because it...

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. - Hector Berlioz
#545601 01/13/02 07:09 AM
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I'll re-read my posts, but I think I only made one remark about AMD chips - and that was that they won't run Protools. As buying an AMD would immediately stop you from running one of the best music applications money can buy, I think it's probably best to stick with Pentiums (or Macs).

If you know otherwise and can substantiate, I'd be very interested because I only have an AMD PC myself and would dearly love to run Protools! smile

Dave

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: jazzyd ]

#545602 01/13/02 08:53 PM
L
Lindsay Offline OP
OP Offline
L
All this info is great. Thank you all very much. Steve, a post NAMM report would be much appreciated.

#545603 01/14/02 03:56 PM
D
D
Snap Dave! I just bought 2 x AT4033SE. I also got a digital hard disk recorder - Akai DPS16. For all the audiophiles out there here is a recording I made on Friday (it's of two friends who came over to my parents house for a rehersal).
www.diarmuid.dunne.btinternet.co.uk/BACH2.mp3

Piano - Jill Crossland
Violin - Victoria Grigoreva

Equipment: 2 x Audio Technica 4033SE, Akai DPS16, 1914 Steinway Model O.

I think the violin is a Paul heck but I 'm not sure.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission