Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#545967 - 02/18/09 08:20 PM Can Anyone ID this Method?
MrsCamels Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I picked up a great practice method from my college days, but can't trace it to anyone. Sound familiar anyone?

Break the piece into musical sections
Put the sections in order from most difficult to easiest
Practice with the metronome according to difficulty, always beginning with the hardest and moving towards the easiest
Once you reach the designated temp, practice short-long, long-short, short-long-long-long, long-short-short-short.
Practice the landmarks for each section
Play landmarks backwards,
etc. etc.
Does anyone know who developed this method? Or if it's a combination of methods?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#545968 - 02/19/09 12:24 AM Re: Can Anyone ID this Method?
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
It doesn't look necessarily like a "method" to me, but rather a collection of a few practice techniques, some of which are based on common sense.

I don't understand, on the other hand, the idea of always[/b] working from the hardest to the easiest sections. There comes a point where sections have to be put together in order and transitions have to be worked out, not only technically but artistically.

What is meant by "short-long, long-short, short-long-long-long...." etc., unless it's simply the rhythmic patterns for the practice scale-like passages. Those patterns certainly won't work for passages that are not scalar in nature.

Regards,

#545969 - 02/19/09 11:05 AM Re: Can Anyone ID this Method?
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
As Bruce said, it's just fairly basic practice techniques that a lot of people use, and are familiar with. Not sure about the short, long, long, business, but sounds like practicing in rhythmns, which is also a fairly common practice technique.

#545970 - 02/19/09 11:27 AM Re: Can Anyone ID this Method?
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Question: What is meant by "short-long, long-short, short-long -

This sounds like counting dotted eighth-16th note combinations.

0000 (4 16th notes equal a quarter note)

00 (2 16th notes equal an eighth notes)

A dotted eighth note is 3/16th (tied)followed by one 16th. Or written in reverse (1/16th - 3/16ths)

The dot comes in to use because one 1/16th has been moved to add to one note, and the flag or beam subtracts.
Dots add by half the duration of the notehead
Flags/beams subtract by half the duration of the notehead.

To me, the rest of it is an accumulation of "practice strategies", I'm not sure they are attributle to a specific person, or when they came into "play".

I would ask that you consider playing the easier "practice areas" first as they will disappear from the list as finished more quickly than the really difficult "practice areas". To objective is to get them off of the list. Then perhaps one could use the gained time to increase the number of repetitions of the difficult areas.

Also when doing isolated practice of certain measures, it's a good idea to add the measures you've been working on separately, back into the content of the total phrase (or section) it comes from to make sure the small section is played accurately and naturally when placed back in the whole.

One big clue to working over your head is the number of "practice areas" that are difficult.

The fastest way to results is to understand and verbalize the concepts of the practice area. Analyze and plan better for what it contains - work it over by identifying the content, don't just blindly keep stabbing at what you are seeing, think and plan and if it's error you are dealing with, by all means do something different, make a change.

Betty

#545971 - 02/21/09 12:08 PM Re: Can Anyone ID this Method?
MrsCamels Offline

I love this method and will try to answer your questions (and maybe sell a few of you on it).
I find that in practicing the most difficult through to the easiest sections according to tempo, that it solves the problem of most of the practice time inevitably being spent on the easier sections of a piece - usually the beginning and the end. It forces you to be comfortable with the most difficult section first, so that it gives you the appropriate time with it, rather than it always being under par in comparison to other sections.
Also, the sections are always practiced beginning at the end to the section previous, so that transitions flow. The sections are musical sections, so that also helps maintain the musicality of a piece.
Also, this method (or practice technique) requires that from the slowest/beginning tempo, all expression/dynamics/fingering, etc is worked out perfectly. In other words, from the very beginning, you're playing the piece as you always will play it, except for tempo.
The section practice has really helped me to organize my practicing. I don't get lost in a piece anymore. It also aids memory of longer pieces because you've practiced the sections in connection. You know what they come after and what they lead into.
The short-long-long, etc is another memory technique. You ignore the rhythm of the piece and apply this rhythm as you play thru the sections.

#545972 - 02/21/09 12:17 PM Re: Can Anyone ID this Method?
MrsCamels Offline

just another note -
the short-long-long-long etc. isn't really a particular value. The "short" is beginning on a note and as quickly as possible moving to the next and then two longer notes after the second. it's muscle confusion, so you have to really know the piece in order to change the rhythm. the different combinations also help you refine your own rhythm as you hear the note combinations in a new way. It's also a great technique for working on speed b/c you're teaching your muscle to switch more quickly. but confining it one note at a time.

to betty,
what i like about this method is that the easy sections are NOT pushed out of the way at the beginning, instead they become part of the entire process. i think pushing the easy sections out of the way tends to let them become sloppy. by incorporating them into the sectional practice, you'll move a bit slower in conquering them, keeping them a bit closer in development to the more difficult sections.
the more difficult sections do get the most practice though. if i'm working thru all the sections at metronome marking X, I may have to play the difficult sections 20x before I can increase the speed, the easy sections maybe only 3x.
hope that makes it a bit more clear.

#545973 - 02/21/09 12:26 PM Re: Can Anyone ID this Method?
jazzyprof Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
My favorite book on piano practice is Charles Cooke's "Playing the Piano for Pleasure" (1948) In it he quotes the pianist Poldi Mildner's reply to his question on her practice methods: "I learn first the hard parts, ja." I do that with some pieces but most of the time I prefer the sense of forward progress as I nibble my way measure by measure from beginning to end. I do isolate the hard parts for extra dedicated attention, a procedure Cooke describes colorfully as "setting fractures."

#1172212 - 03/31/09 06:14 PM Re: Can Anyone ID this Method? [Re: MrsCamels]
Klavierspielen Offline

MrsCamels,
I know exactly which teacher gave you this practice method and I can tell you her name! smile Though I don't know where it came from directly. Like everybody else is saying, I think it's really just a combo of good practice techniques. I was reading this post before I realized it was you who wrote it, and thought, "that DOES sound familiar!" Wow, I think I need to start doing more of those things again.

-H

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Viennese Action
by PhilipInChina
10/01/14 12:36 AM
Besides Evenness, Any other tips for good Trilling?
by Paul678
10/01/14 12:15 AM
October Piano Bar
by ladypayne
09/30/14 11:24 PM
Kimbal Viennese
by Jennymomofboys
09/30/14 10:40 PM
Taking the hammers with you to do voicing.. ?
by InfiniteClouds
09/30/14 08:19 PM
Who's Online
112 registered (aesop, aceydawg, Abby Pianoman, 42 invisible), 1456 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76384 Members
42 Forums
157903 Topics
2319030 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission