Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#547846 - 02/11/05 10:34 AM How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
JoeTownleyy Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
For my money he's looks to be the best combo pianist/guitarist I've ever come across. Course I can't say for certain cuz I don't play guitar but he looks pretty technically savvy to me. Anyone out there who does play guitar have any thoughts? He wants to come to the USA to pursue his music studies (he's just 17) so if anyone has any ideas about how to go about doing that please post so I can advise or, in the alternative, you can comment in his guestbook on his website:
http://jemboy.site.voila.fr
PS When you enter, click on his videos. He does Horowitz's Carmen Variations on there. Too bad he doesn't have a concert grand.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#547847 - 02/11/05 11:20 AM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
F. Chopin Offline

Loc: England
Not very highly.

#547848 - 02/11/05 11:31 AM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
mound Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
yeah - I've seen this guy before (his site, not him) - I'd rank it as "just OK" - sure there is alot of speed, but I don't think it's very musical. especially the guitar, yeah he "shreds" alright, but it's barely listenable.

and his website is terrible as well

#547849 - 02/11/05 11:39 AM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
mound Offline
500 Post Club Member

edit - ok, so I just went and relistened to some of this stuff.. I'll give him some credit.. he has achieved a high level of proficiency on guitar and piano, which takes alot of work.. some of his piano pieces aren't half bad either..

#547850 - 02/11/05 12:21 PM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
JoeTownleyy Offline

Hmmm.....see, I DO get fooled by those snazzy "licks" or whatever they call that "whooooo, whooo" glissandi up & down the sound spectrum. Could he make the cut in the highly competitive music business here in the USA, ala "American Idol" etc.?

#547851 - 02/11/05 12:46 PM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
Max W Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: RHUL
Actually guitar is pretty easy to play if you can play piano well, shred is pretty simple really. The hard part isnt the speed its getting the right sound. (which I dont think he has IMO)

#547852 - 02/14/05 06:16 AM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
mound Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm sure he's too good for American Idol (seriously, what a joke that show is)

Quote:
The hard part isnt the speed its getting the right sound. (which I dont think he has IMO)
exactly.

-Paul'

#547853 - 02/14/05 08:11 AM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
Allegretto Offline

Loc: Norway
Well.....he's got the looks.
17 you say?

Nice :3hearts:

#547854 - 02/14/05 09:06 AM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
AnnaMatthew Offline

Saw his chopin etude video. Gave me a headache. Technical savvy? maybe. Extremetly not musical at all. But who am i to judge? Looks- yeah. But hey, we have people here have them all. Check out the coffeeroom!

#547855 - 02/14/05 10:14 AM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
NAK Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Heck, check out your photo album!

I'll admit, this kid has chops, but he's got a lot of cleaning up to do. I don't know if it was the sound quality, but it sounded extremely messy. His playing of the Carmen Variations made me want to break my moniter.

#547856 - 02/14/05 04:31 PM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
musicsdarkangel Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
yuck. I play both instruments and I think he has some alright piano chops, but so sloppy.

And he is alright at guitar.

#547857 - 02/15/05 10:16 PM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
Awakening Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Honestly, I'm blown away by his technical skills, but that's just me. It's hard to tell how much musicality there is, because the recordings are poor, and the pieces he's playing are essentially just incredibly fancy exercises. However, I can't understand people's harsh criticism of him. He plays ridiculously fast, which is worth something, and there is a ton of precision and dexterity in his playing. The fact that he plays guitar and piano both as well as he does is also mind-boggling. What does it take to impress people around here, I wonder...?

#547858 - 02/15/05 11:01 PM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
I think he played the Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody waaay too fast and sloppily. The Left Hand etude had virtually no dynamics. It wall all key banging. Those 2 were the ONLY ones I listened to, and I wasn't too impressed with either.

#547859 - 02/15/05 11:39 PM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
NAK Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I adore Horowitz' Carmen Variations, but this guy butchers them. He can't maintain the tempo.

If anything, I just find his playing boring.

#547860 - 02/16/05 07:59 AM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
Awakening Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Max W:
Actually guitar is pretty easy to play if you can play piano well[/b]
Why do you say this?

#547861 - 02/16/05 08:41 AM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
Allegretto Offline

Loc: Norway
Yeah, why?

#547862 - 02/16/05 02:08 PM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
TheMadMan86 Offline

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
someone needs to tell him to either improve or stop, his horowizt carmen thing was horrible

#547863 - 02/16/05 02:38 PM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
Mr. E Offline

I imagine he could be good, but he is trying to play pieces that are beyond him right now. The 6th Hungarian Rhapsody and the Carmen variations are two of my favorites, but his were terrible. Maybe I'm being too harsh. I have videos of Horowitz playing his variations, and Cziffra playing the rhapsody, and they are both unbelievable. So I was picturing that in my head while I was watching this guy butcher them both.

I think he's a little too worried about playing big, fancy, hard pieces to impress other people. I sometimes have the same problem. I want to play pieces that I'm not ready for yet. So every now and then, I have to remind myself to back off.

#547864 - 02/16/05 02:49 PM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
JoeTownleyy Offline

I think certain individuals misunderstood my original post. I was trying to get people's feel for how he rates as a "potential talent", not a finished artist, which I think some were unfairly judging him by. Remember he's only 17. There's lots of room for improvement, true. Fortunately he's got plenty of time to improve. The question was does he have what it takes to become a terrific rock keyboardist/guitarist along the lines of Keith Emerson, Rick Wakefield, Jimmy Hendricks etc. or is he just a kid w/ some talent, who's basically chasing an impossible dream (hmm...sounds like a good title for a song).

#547865 - 02/16/05 03:51 PM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
princessclara2005 Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I agree with you Joe....I do think people misunderstood your intention, I think he does have talent, and he certainly can be a very potential concert pianist in the future. He certainly has things to improve, and have better interpertation about the pieces he plays....

However, a professional music career is really harsh, I believe finding an agent and sponsor and try to go to different compeitions will be a way to go to be discovered, meanwhile, apply to Peabody, Easman, Julia, or boston converstory in the States maybe good, he can sent in a video or tape as a 1st audition, and if they like it, then he can come in for a face-to-face audition, maybe he will be lucky enough to get a scholarship or something, if those school is too hard, then he can try either private or state music schools....I think he can get a scholarship from a state or private universities in the States....

#547866 - 02/16/05 04:23 PM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
Reaper Man Offline

Is there something wrong with my internet or something??? Everytime I try and listen to his mp3's I keep getting an error page in French. Has anyone else had this problem???

I tried opening it with FireFox and Internet Explorer - and it takes me to some lycos error page.

#547867 - 02/16/05 04:43 PM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
minorkeyed Offline

Loc: US
^^^Hmmmm...the site was working just fine late last night; maybe he picked up the referrer from this page on his stat tracker (or maybe he's already on this forum) and he read this thread ....

I didn't get to hear much but what very little I did hear I thought contained a good amount of raw talent that just needed to be shaped and polished which, as some have pointed out here, is not an uncommon nor unexpected thing for a student his age.

#547868 - 02/16/05 06:39 PM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
TheMadMan86 Offline

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
if i come off harsh i apologize, im a perfectionist, but i feel we shouldnt make excuses for him 17 or not im only 18 and me and several other pianist i know around here feel it is important to work on emotion as much as techique, could be just us, but i feel we shouldnt have to put up with anything less

#547869 - 02/17/05 05:54 AM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
fnork Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Helsinki, finland
I watched his "St thomas" jazz video, where he played solo. The sound quality was really bad, and musically it was... quite bad. But what the hell, I'm 18 and I don't play as good as him. There's lots of room for improvement, and perhaps he'll become a great pianist someday. He sure has a lot of technique, judging from the godowsky/chopin etude. I envy him for that, I wish I had his technique...

However, the music didn't say me anything, really. And on the other hand I have a lot of friends who perhaps aren't gifted with the best technique, but they can express themselves and it's always great to hear their music. And I didn't really hear much music in this guys playing.

#547870 - 02/17/05 06:50 PM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I really did not like his tone. It was very key banging like, and as I mentioned before almost contained no dynamics.

#547871 - 02/19/05 03:24 AM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
Reaper Man Offline

I honestly can't listen to a single MP3 of his... as soon as I click one of them it redirects me to an error page...

God - the internet is full of bugs...

#547872 - 02/19/05 02:14 PM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
The_Jemboy Offline

Loc: France
Hi,

There is no bug in my website but you can not read French langage,for downloading Mp3 You must right click and select save as...But why listen me play piano or guitar?
i'm not musical...godowsky with no dynamics...Carmen is horrible...the jazz is quite bad...play guitar is easy...ok...ok...
When i post here:
http://pianoforum.net/smf/index.php?topic=4874.msg46209#msg46209
people are not of the same opinion concerning my music or interpretation...
But there is no problem I can accept that one does not like me

The Jemboy

http://jemboy.fr-bb.com

#547873 - 02/19/05 06:13 PM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I apologize if I offended you. I meant no offense. I can tend to be very blunt when I criticize others. I do not think that you are bad. I just stated some improvements that could help you. I understand that some of my suggestions were pretty harsh, but please don't take any offense.

#547874 - 02/19/05 08:11 PM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
Mr. E Offline

Don't let people's comments get to you (mine included). You have a lot of potential. I just thought some of those pieces sounded a little out of your league right now. Don't be so worried about impressing people. You've got a great future ahead of you.

#547875 - 02/19/05 09:12 PM Re: How Does this Pianist/Guitarist Kid Rate
JoeTownleyy Offline

This is a little off the topic, but I started the thread so I guess I can be given a little leeway: all this talk about the Carmen Variations made me want to go back to Valentina Lisitsa's website to watch her hair-raising video performance once more but now I find that, except for the Chopin Etudes, all her videos have been taken off. I've e-mailed her in the past a few times. She's really the sweetest young lady - very gracious & kind, but stupidly, in my last email, I asked her to watch my video of the Chopin Revolutionary, not thinking at the time that it put her in an awkward position to have to comment on it. Roundabout way of saying that now I'm embarrassed to email her to ask why she pulled them - they were soooo good! I put a plug for her website

Valentina Lisitsa

in my own guestbook. Maybe too many people were playing them, running up MB's, which cost alot for monthly fees. Anyone have any idea why she pulled them? Also, the link that Jemboy gave for that other pianoboard is the one that MeiTing Sun comments on occasionally. Many of you might want to take a gander to see what he has to say.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
151 registered (accordeur, 36251, Akshay, 51 invisible), 1471 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74232 Members
42 Forums
153556 Topics
2250497 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Search
by mlpiano88
15 minutes 49 seconds ago
Polyphony with Polyphonist - Installment 1
by Polyphonist
49 minutes 49 seconds ago
Help dating old Mcphail Upright Piano
by joe513
Today at 06:39 PM
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
Today at 04:33 PM
3/4 time for 6/8 time comping patterns?
by Ben Ther
Today at 04:33 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission