2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#548784 01/02/05 08:10 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Can someone give me the background on this work? And possibly details regarding its form and what makes it unique (specifically the first movement).

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
quoting from a CD program note:
The key of C minor was to play a pivotal role as the basis for many of the most progressive works (the 'Pathetique' sonata and the 5th symphony, for example). Once again, the model is Mozart whose C minor concerto became a touchstone for the Romantic tendency in later compositions. The motivic content and even the tone color of the opening phrase display a clear allegiance to Mozart's affect in the particular key. The opening orchestral ritornello continues in the accepted manner and closes quite determinedly. With the entrance of the soloist, however, Beethoven has moved into more dramatic territory and continues, whenever the piece returns to the minor, to exhibit a motivic drive that opens new paths for him. His long-range thinking becomes apparent when the second movement opens in the startling key of E major (when one would expect E-flat). His clever insight into the formal possibilities of relationships is clarified when in the last movement Rondo, a sudden move to A-flat is reinterpreted as G-sharp -- and quite unexpectedly, E major turns out to be not all that bizarre in a C minor framework. In the instance, the young mastermind shows that hs is not just another virtuoso who has written himself a showpiece, but first and foremost a composer who would eventually change the way we listen to music forever.
- not quite detailed or well written, but you may get an idea...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The cadenza of the 1st movement gives a taste of what a titanic improviser Beethoven must have been.

koji (STSD)

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This concerto, probably more than any other, serves as the archetype for so many romantic concerti. If you look at the form of this piece as compared to Brahms 1, Tchaikovsky, and especially Rachmaninoff 2, the similarities are striking.

Also keep in mind that this piece is Op. 37, written immediately before and first performed immediately after Beethoven's stay in Heiligenstadt.

The first movement is a rather straightforward sonata form. As Koji mentioned, the cadenza is remarkable, though there are some other cadenzas published as well. (I've recently become acquainted with Clara Schumann's, which is quite good!) One curiosity is how the cadenza leads back into the piece - remember that the typical Mozartian concerto (and Beethoven's previous concerti) usually treated the cadenza as an extended cadence. (Cadenza means cadence.) However, in the third concerto, the cadenza doesn't provide a strong authentic cadence. Rather, the orchestra sneaks in under the final trill and the piano continues with the coda.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
F
F
I've always thought Mozart's 20th in D minor was the earliest romantic-sounding concerto. Beethoven's 3rd is definitly my favorite out of his five though. (not counting that student concerto)

It's too bad Beethoven stopped writing concerti after the Emperor. I guess he felt he had written everything he wanted to say in that one.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i remember reading from somewhere that Beethoven actually was going to compose another concerto (the same as he planed for his 10th symphony) with some on his sketchbook for it already, but he died before he could actually have done anything.

I love this concerto. It's a great one. And s Koji mentioned, the cadenza is just out of this world for me

Perfection itself is imperfection- Horowitz
I'm going to hear this Concerto live next month. Can't wait!

"Applaud friends, the comedy is over." --Ludwig van Beethoven on his deathbed.
August Förster 190 Artcase
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
this is a more interesting program note, which i tried to find and didn't until now:

The premiere of Beethoven's Piano concerto No.3 in C minor took place in Vienna on April 5, 1803. Beethoven evidently had not had sufficient time to write down the entire score, and a contemporary, Ignax Xaver Seyfried, who turned pages for the composer at this first performance, left the following account: "I saw almost nothing but empty leaves - at the most, here and there, a few hieroglyphics, wholly unintelligible to me, scribbled down to serve as clues for him. He played nearly all the solo part from memory. Whenever he reached the end of an 'invisible' passage, he gave me a nod. My obvious anxiety not to miss the decisive moment amused him greatly."

Although this concerto was not immediately successful, Beethoven always thought highly of it. In contrast to his first two piano concertos, the Third is more symphonic in character, not only in the increased demands make on the orchestra, but in the greater scope of the piano part. The boldness of Beethoven’s use of the brass and woodwinds, for example, makes for a much fuller sound than (that) can be found in his previous concertos. And, rather than serving simply as color contrast, the woodwinds and brass also develop thematic material concurrently with the strings. The increased power and breadth of this work attest to the composer’s artistic maturity.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission