Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#551432 - 12/26/01 11:36 PM Bach Invention
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

In the Bach C major 2 part invention, there are mordent signs (or are these trills according to Bach's time?) above the notes in the Henle edition. The sign is above a B, I have been playing that ornament as follows- B-C-B. In the Schirmer edition, that ornament is written out as B-A-B (Inverted Mordent?). I know ornamentation was not standardized in Bach's time, but what is the correct execution of that ornament?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#551433 - 12/27/01 12:11 AM Re: Bach Invention
Rodion Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City
i have the henle edition for the 2 part inventions as well, and in the preface it shows bach's little guide for all the different trills and mordents, etc. (doesn't yours have this too?).

anyway, if it is a trill sign over a 'b', then it should be played c-b-c-b. (or c-b-c-b-c-b, depending on how long you make it). baroque and classical trills always begin on the beat - not before - and on a standard trill will always start on the note above the principle note, not the principle itself.

there are mordents as well in this piece, the trill sign with a line through it. the first one is in measure 5 on a 'c', and should be played c-b-c, on the beat once again, not before.

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: Rodion ]

#551434 - 12/27/01 12:31 AM Re: Bach Invention
Rodion Offline

here is the ornamentation table on a site that seems to have some good information...i haven't read through it yet...

bach's ornamentation table

#551435 - 12/27/01 11:15 AM Re: Bach Invention
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks for the explanation, but why does the Schirmer edition write out a mordent instead of the trill? Is it possible to interpret these signs differently? I looked in a music dictionary, and that trill in the Bach invention is called an upper mordent (Like the ones in the first movement of Beethoven's Pathetique), maybe this is a modern usage of it?

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: CrashTest ]

#551436 - 12/27/01 11:48 AM Re: Bach Invention
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Hi, Rodion:

Thanks for posting the Bach ornamentation page... that was really helpful. But I have a question, I thought a mordent (or "turn") was a 4-note sequence, turning around the main note.
For example, a mordent for b would be c-b-a-b. Have I been wrong all these years? (A distinct possibility :p )

As for the ornamentation issue, there's always a lot of disussion on which is the "correct" ornamentation. My personal preference is to follow the Henle edition when I have it (read, can afford it!), because they seem to be the most likely to follow the original composer's notation when it's available. But even in Henle there are multiple manuscripts and multiple scholarly interpretations that need to be aligned, so there's some flexibility there as well.

I have been working on a few Haydn Sonatas using a Carisch edition, and recently compared my version to Henle and Schirmer. There were wide variations in the ornamentation markings in each.

My solution, right or wrong, is to at least use the ornamentation style appropriate for the period. So, as Rodion says, a trill would be on the beat and start with the upper note, for example. After that, I pick which sounds best to my ear or which I can play better in the given measure.

Nina

#551437 - 12/27/01 05:51 PM Re: Bach Invention
Rodion Offline

since i'm not a scholar, especially not on bach, i could be wrong about this - but from what i understand it was okay in his time to add mordants and trills and what-not freely. for example, in alfreds editions they basically have the original in dark text, then add all sorts of suggestions in vogue with the style of the period in lighter print. so it could easily be that the trills and mordants in the henle and schirmer could have been added based on common practice of the times, or different manuscripts that had completely different notation. but i trust the henle more for the original, also some of schirmers additions were edited way back in the day. if i'm not mistaken they even publish czerny's well tempered clavier. things that were okay in those times would be severly frowned upon now.

#551438 - 12/27/01 06:02 PM Re: Bach Invention
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Hi, Rodion

I agree completely. I'm curious, though about the mordent issue. From what you know, have I been playing them wrong? or just "differently"?

This is a serious question (sometimes I wonder if questions end up sounding like hostile challenges instead of simple questions on this board... )

Thx
Nina \:\)

#551439 - 12/27/01 07:27 PM Re: Bach Invention
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
 Quote:
things that were okay in those times would be severly frowned upon now.

Rodion, I think you'll find that when it comes to Bach, it's still quite acceptable to embellish quite liberally.

#551440 - 12/27/01 10:28 PM Re: Bach Invention
Matt G. Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Plainfield, IL
Nina,

In most baroque playing styles the mordent, written like a trill with a vertical line through it, is a three note figure starting on the main note, to the note below, then back up. A mordent written on C would be played C-B-C.

The turn, which is written like a sideways S over a note, is a four note figure starting on the note above the main note, then the main note, the note below and finally the main note. A turn written above a C would be played D-C-B-C.

Those are the cut-and-dried definitions for most baroque keyboard playing. But things definitely start blurring as the styles started changing in the mid 18th century, especially in the works of the sons of J.S. Bach and their contemporaries who composed in the 'galant' style. There the ornaments are basically up for grabs: if you don't like a turn, do a mordent; if you don't like the mordent, try a trill with a 'Nachschlag'.

(That's what I get for studying with a musicologist/organist for a period of time. I swear, ornaments were her religion!)

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: Matt G. ]

#551441 - 12/27/01 10:33 PM Re: Bach Invention
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:

Rodion, I think you'll find that when it comes to Bach, it's still quite acceptable to embellish quite liberally.[/b]

I agree with Bernard.

Improvisation was and always be an integral part of (dare I say) "authentic" performances of Baroque music. In Bach's tocattas, fantasies and some Partita movements, the character of the music suggests that Bach simply sat down and improvised the movement.

While teachers now mostly don't encourage their students to improvise more when playing Baroque music (which is unfortunate), but don't feel constricted by the norm; improvisation in such music is surely precedented.

Edit:

As far as ornaments in editions go, most of them are editorial (especially the cheaper editions such as Alfred and Schirmer). By no means are they required.

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: Brendan ]

#551442 - 12/28/01 05:59 AM Re: Bach Invention
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
 Quote:
Originally posted by Matt G.:
Nina,

(That's what I get for studying with a musicologist/organist for a period of time. I swear, ornaments were her religion!)

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: Matt G. ][/b]

It must be a very "pretty" religion!

#551443 - 12/28/01 10:44 AM Re: Bach Invention
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Hi, Matt G:

Thanks for the clarification... guess I REALLY need to wear my glasses now. I went back to look at my current Haydn Sonata and realized that some of those turn markings DO have little lines through them. Duh.

I was obviously thinking that mordents and turns were the same thing. I'm really grateful to learn otherwise.

I guess my teacher is from the 'galant' school as well, since she never mentioned anything to me. I really find all this ornamentation debate to be very interesting, even if it means I may be drifting dangerously close to the music geek category.

Regards,
Nina

#551444 - 12/28/01 06:28 PM Re: Bach Invention
Rodion Offline

hello everyone, i've been busy the past couple of days. i don't really play bach's music so i thought (especially with this being the time of the urtext) that adding ornaments and whatnot freely wasn't something people really did nowadays. but i've learned something new!

#551445 - 12/31/01 09:41 PM Re: Bach Invention
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
As I was taught these things (and read them, my source being Tovey, both in his WTC commentary and elsewhere) all of the ornaments applied to any B in the C major invention are called a "Schneller" or "Pralltriller", and would be played CBCB. The ornament generally begins on the upper note. IF, however, the immediate previous note in the melody is that upper note, then it is not repeated in the ornament, so that in measure 1, the ornamented note is played BCB, but in measure 6 it is played CBCB. It seems also permissible to lengthen the ornament to five grace notes (CBCBCB) or even to an ordinary trill.
Performers of the Baroque (and later*) eras spntaneously added ornaments as they felt necessary (presumably for accent, color, or whatever), so that Tovey's advice (see Instructions for the Associated Board edition of WTC I) makes perfect sense: viz., to learn the main lines of the melody, and learn the harmony, before adding the ornaments, which are introduced gradually, as the player comes to feel the need of them. (I've paraphrased, to avoid copyright problems.)
And you should try dropping in a few ornaments of your own, here and there. They'll be awkward at first, but eventually you'll become quite fluent with them.

*Chopin at times writes "senza ornamenti" to prevent performers from ornamenting his music, and this was 70 years after Bach's death.

#551446 - 12/31/01 10:33 PM Re: Bach Invention
magnezium Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
could you please give an example of such notation in Chopin's music? i haven't come across it yet...

#551447 - 01/01/02 01:26 AM Re: Bach Invention
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Well, I've seen that quoted. Simply going to Google and putting in "Chopin senza ornamenti" produces an obscure set of variations (recorded by Nikolai Demidenko on Hyperion, along with all the scherzi):

Introduction and Variations in E major [6'54] on a German national air ('Der Schweizerbub'), Introduction: A capriccio - Theme: Andantino [semplice senza ornamenti] - Var Elegantemente - Var ii: Scherzando - Var iii: Tranquillamente - Var iv: Meno mosso - Tempo di Valse - poco più animato

I hope that helps.

#551448 - 01/01/02 05:13 AM Re: Bach Invention
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Palindrome:

Interesting observation on the performance indication in the E major variations.

It might, however, be stretching a point to say that Chopin "at times writes senza ornamenti, which suggests that he does so more than once. This, as you stated, is an obscure set of variations, written (1826) when Chopin was 16 years of age. I have never seen any such designation on any other of his works, several collections of which I have in Urtext editions.

Regards,

#551449 - 01/01/02 08:54 AM Re: Bach Invention
magnezium Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
thanks Palindrome for the example... \:\)

#551450 - 01/06/02 07:58 AM Re: Bach Invention
Aura Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
interesting...

when did the rule change from mordents starting on the note above the pricipal note to mordents starting on the principal note itself? After or before Mozart? How should I execute Mozart's mordents and trills?

thanks. \:\)

Aura

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
111 registered (aesop, aDino, a-z0-9, 36251, A Guy, 32 invisible), 1728 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156292 Topics
2295368 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Marc-André Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
41 minutes 41 seconds ago
Baldwin E250 1998
by sort
Today at 08:11 PM
Shostakovich and Prokofiev
by Verbum mirabilis
Today at 06:01 PM
Used piano buying choices
by BrianDX
Today at 05:55 PM
You & Your Piano
by DancerJ
Today at 05:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission