Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
114 registered (anotherscott, acollins, Auver, aceydawg, 33 invisible), 1579 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#55283 - 10/17/06 03:27 PM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
My response from Dennehy is below - but it really sounds very political correct. What else is it if not the dollars and cents - to even think of cancelling a lease which does not even come under their own heading of the reasons to do so? (see the newspaper article that I gave above)

I am glad however that they are taking note that the music community is interested, and even responded to a private email.

I wonder how the meeting went last night.

AND WRITE TO THEM, please.
------------

Dear Ms. Brooks:

Thank you for your email and your interest in the Fredericks' Piano Museum. Although I come from a small town, I have lived in many cities across our country and even abroad and I realize that we have a unique cultural asset here in Ashburnham. I have attended concerts in the Stevens Building and have been appreciated the beautiful music created on those pianos.

Please take heart in the fact that although our Board of Selectmen are charged with serving the best interest of the Town of Ashburnham, we are not focused only upon the dollars and cents of this proposal. We are not blind to the cultural and economic benefit that the Museum brings to our area and we will definitely take that into account as we deliberate on this proposal.

Thank you again for your interest in the Fredericks, their Museum and the Town of Ashburnham!

Jonathan M. Dennehy, Esquire
Chairman, Board of Selectmen
Town of Ashburnham
jmd@dennehy.us

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Tue 10/17/2006 8:31 AM
To: jmd@dennehy.us
Subject: Fw: SUPPORTING PIANO MUSEUM

Copy of a letter that was sent to Sylvia Turcotte this morning.

To:
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2006 8:49 AM
Subject: SUPPORTING PIANO MUSEUM

> To:
> Board of Selectman
> Members of the Community
>
> It has come to my attention that there is some talk of the town taking
> back the building leased to the Fredericks for their Piano Museum. I feel
> that would be a shame. It is the only museum that I know of in USA that
> houses a collection of old grand pianos that are offered as playing
> instruments through tours and recitals.
>
> See:http://www.frederickcollection.org/index.html
>
> It is hopeful that this will be reconsidered. The Fredericks have put a
> lot of time, energy, and monies into making this part of the arts
> available to the far reaching community and have chosen to locate it in
> Ashburnham to your benefit .
>
> Roberta..., music teacher (private info deleted)

EDIT - Seems as though my response was sent about the same time as the post from the Chair of Selectmen about their meeting last night and their concern. We appreciate the info and hope that all things will work out well for your town and the Piano Museum

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#55284 - 10/17/06 03:58 PM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
Piano*Dad Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Dear Mr. Dennehy,

Thank you for taking the time personally to contact us at PW. I suspect that most of us who sent emails to your office were aware of the contract provisions allowing the town to void the lease. I think you have addressed that issue very effectively in your note to us. You are quite right in noting that the legal ability to void the lease is one thing, but acting on that right would be very unwise absent an overriding need.

If I might be so bold, could you take this crisis as an opportunity to think about longer term strategies for enhancing the relationship between your town and this important collection? Even a ten year lease (with only four remaining) creates quite a bit of uncertainty. A solid long term arrangement would give proper incentives for capital investment in buildings, support systems, and all other areas needed to make the collection better known nationally and internationally.

Yours,

David Feldman
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#55285 - 10/17/06 04:42 PM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
Jonathan Dennehy Offline

Loc: Ashburnham, MA, USA
In fact, we were in the process of negotiating with the Fredericks on this topic when the proposal to "take back" the building was thrust upon us.

I for one am very open to discussing a long term relationship with the Fredericks for the reasons that I have already stated in addition to the fact that the Fredericks have been an excellent steward of the condition and the historical quality of the building during their tenancy.
32 Main Street
Ashburnham, MA 01430

#55286 - 10/17/06 07:06 PM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
musdan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Mr. Dennehy is there a way to cut all the red tape that would allow the Fredierick's to purchase the building?

Both the town, music lovers, and the Fredericks would benefit and ownership of the building would prevent another "event" when their lease ends in a few years with the added value of protecting these valuable pianos.

Something must be done.

#55287 - 10/17/06 11:26 PM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
littlePianoGirl Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Piano World:
Just because something is "legal" doesn't make it right. [/b]
true - but if everything that was legal was right and everything that was right was legal, then this wouldnt even have been a problem to begin with. but thats a whole other story, staying on topic - i hope this works out for the museum =)

#55288 - 10/18/06 01:59 AM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
Sam Casey Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: SW Missouri
I got this today. Kind of political speak. Not really yes or no.

Dear Sam:

Thank you for your email and your interest in the Fredericks' Piano Museum. Although I come from a small town, I have lived in many cities across our country and even abroad and I realize that we have a unique cultural asset here in Ashburnham. I have attended concerts in the Stevens Building and have been appreciated the beautiful music created on those pianos.

Please take heart in the fact that although our Board of Selectmen are charged with serving the best interest of the Town of Ashburnham, we are not focused only upon the dollars and cents of this proposal. We are not blind to the cultural and economic benefit that the Museum brings to our area and we will definitely take that into account as we deliberate on this proposal.

I personally would add that although I was not on the Board of Selectmen when the original lease was negotiated, drafted and signed, I do believe that in this lease the Town of Ashburnham did make a ten year commitment to the Fredericks. This commitment may be legally broken easily upon the Town showing that the re-occupation of the building is necessary for a municipal purpose. However, I believe that we owe a moral commitment to the Fredericks to only terminate the lease if absolutely necessary, and I have not seen a circumstance yet where it has become absolutely necessary to remove the Fredericks from the Stevens Memorial Building.

Thank you again for your interest in the Fredericks, their Museum and the Town of Ashburnham!

Town of Ashburnham
jmd@dennehy.us

#55289 - 10/18/06 03:58 AM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
swingal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: England
As a non-USA member is there any possibility that PW. and it's dedicated members could provide a financial backing to a long term, new building for this unique collection. You would have my support.

Alan

#55290 - 10/18/06 04:42 AM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
giuseppe Offline

Loc: Italy
Mr. Dennehy has reply to me:

"Dear Giuseppe
Thank you for your email and your interest in the Fredericks' Piano
Museum. Although I come from a small town, I have lived in many cities
across our country and even abroad and I realize that we have a unique
cultural asset here in Ashburnham. I have attended concerts in the
Stevens Building and have been appreciated the beautiful music created
on those pianos.

Please take heart in the fact that although our Board of Selectmen are
charged with serving the best interest of the Town of Ashburnham, we
are not focused only upon the dollars and cents of this proposal. We
are not blind to the cultural and economic benefit that the Museum
brings to our area and we will definitely take that into account as we
deliberate on this proposal.

Thank you again for your interest in the Fredericks, their Museum and
the Town of Ashburnham!

Town of Ashburnham
jmd@dennehy.us"

#55291 - 10/18/06 11:38 AM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Haverhill, Massachusetts
I emailed Channel 5 TV Chronicle Team, and explained to them briefly what's happening and what the museum is all about. Hopefully they will take this into consideration, and put a nice program together about the collection.

John

#55292 - 10/18/06 01:08 PM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
musdan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Mr. Dennehy was kind enough to get back to me on my email suggesting the perhaps the Fredericks could purchase the building.

I'm posting his reply:

Dear Ms. Kaplan,

I personally am open to discussing with the Fredericks the possiblility of their purchase of the Stevens Building. To my knowedge though, your email is the first mention of this type of proposal by anyone involved. If the Fredericks would like to make a proposal for the purchase of the building, I am sure that my board would be happy to consider it.

Johnathan M. Dennehy

Hopefully something good will occur - their lease ends in the near future and if the Frederick's owned the building, than the irreplaceable pianos would have a permanent home.

#55293 - 10/18/06 09:51 PM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tewksbury MA
My response from Mr Dennehey;

Ms. Neff:

Thank you for your email and your support of the Fredericks. I am not sure why the Fredericks are not mentioned on the town's website. I will look into that and see if we can add a link for them there.

Thank you for your complimentary comments about the Fredericks and our town!

Jonathan M. Dennehy
Town of Ashburnham
32 Main Street
Ashburnham, MA 01430
jmd@dennehy.us

#55294 - 10/19/06 02:23 AM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
tolovemoon Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Here is something I thought of and sent, I will post a reply if I get one, but isnt it a great idea..

OH I pray my idea and my prayers are answered...
Peace and love to the town and for the Frederick Historic Piano Collection..

To whom this may concern,
Hi, my name is Tracy, also known as Tolovemoon in the Piano World Forums on the web.
I have learned about this magnificent place called Frederick Historic Piano Collection only tonight and I dream of visiting one day.
I adore my own special 1910 piano with high hopes of one day affording the cost to restore it or doing most all the work myself.
There are so many piano lovers and musicians in our world today that it would be a shame to have this Piano Musuem have to relocate or worse not have a place to share such awesome instruments.
Think about this idea..

I live in Laurens, South Carolina a town where who would of dared thought could ever be in the spot light of tv, yet it did and was also made over to better the community. This was so special to the town folks and it has resparked more attention from visitors...
If your town could host a reality tv show with world known sponsors from piano manufacturing companies or even the small town restoration businesses then think of all the deserving piano owners that own old pianos could have the oppurtunity to have thier piano restored and placed in the musuem or the piano owner gets the visit to the museum with more insights about the history in piano making as well as their own piano restored for thier selves as a gift from others giving back.. You have watched shows like Pimp My Ride. Pimp My Truck, Which Building Should Be Saved? Restoration... , Divine Restoration, 'This Old House, "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, just to name a few or if you haven't just look at all the positives that come from these types of situations.

"Then God willing, power tools humming, hammers pounding, video cameras rolling and volunteers scrambling something just this side of miraculous can happen in 48 hours, or a few days.

Youth rooms, fellowship halls, kitchens, basketball floors, storefront ministries, pulpit areas and other spaces are renewed or created.

Church members often get new life, too. " From an aricle, TV show documents faith, fellowship, hammers and nails; 3 church
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, The, Jul 15, 2006 by, TOM HEINEN

Many artist I am sure that are well known and successful would probably love the oppurtunity to give back to such a cause.
As old pianos from our histories piano manufacturing companies, some of wich are no longer in business start to fade away or demolish because of lack of funds to keep up or owners could not afford to restore as well accidents like floods, fires, or natural disasters wipe these instruments out we may not see them ever again...

This could be a very good oppurtunity for your town to have tourism, growth, current residents will take pride in thier town, as well as new place estashblished in a ever so popular loved passion by so many people around the globe.
Please consider in the thought, so my crazy idea, my dream, my heart, passion, soul, others as well, will have a chance from a miracle to come true..
May God Bless you in all that you do, and the best that is meant to happen will happen because it was meant to be...

Sincerely yours,
Tracy
Tolovemoon.
Peace!
Http://tolovemoon.buzznet.com

#55295 - 10/20/06 05:29 PM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
Kenny Blankenship Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northeast
Here's Mine -

Mr. Turcotte;

Burn them, burn them all. They are old, stinky and dont sound or play very well.

Out with the old, I'm openning up a digital piano museum with an Estonia Annex next to it.

#55296 - 10/20/06 05:30 PM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
Kenny Blankenship Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northeast
I really didnt send it. Man, they will put in a "parking lot."

#55297 - 10/20/06 07:51 PM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kenny Blankenship:
I really didnt send it. Man, they will put in a "parking lot." [/b]
You had me scared for a minute!

Actually I've been spending time emailing various keyboard and historic performance societies. Perhaps these people will rally up too to help out.

John

#55298 - 10/23/06 11:29 AM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
musdan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Terry,

Any new news on the Fredericks Historic Museum?

Has a decision been made or is it still in the works? Thanks \:\)

#55299 - 10/23/06 09:54 PM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

musdan, thanks for asking; I have not heard from Pat Frederick since last week at which time she hoped there was still a strong show of support pouring into the Ashburnham selectmen's office in the way of email and letters.

Also, anyone interested in informing another organization who might be interested in forwarding msgs to the town selectmen,please do so. John Citron had mentioned he was making other contacts requesting their support.

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to respond. I'll update this thread when I receive any further info from Pat Frederick.

I just checked the Ashburnham website;

http://www.ashburnham-ma.gov/

still no updates for a link to the Frederick Collection under the Culture and Recreation titles.

#55300 - 11/22/06 09:56 PM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
musdan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Any news on the the Franklin Museum?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. \:\)

#55301 - 01/22/07 01:04 AM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I received a msg from Pat Frederick this weekend informing me the building that houses their historic piano collection will be going through another episode with town officials in a special town meeting setup for Wednesday evening, Jan 24th.

To recap this whole mess:

The town is renovating their town hall and needs temporary office space. The historic piano building has received over $100K of improvements provided by Pat & Michael Frederick. The town plans to break the lease and take back the building. Should this be voted in on Wednesday, the historic pianos would need to be removed as early as March or April.

According to Pat, the town has other options; one being to wait until next spring for town hall renovations to start since at this time the new fire and police stations will be finished and allow for town offices to be temporarily placed in the empty buildings.

There is also another building in town which could be rented and would already be equipped for the needs of the town administration offices.

I do realize the chance of someone reading this post and being able to attend the town hall meeting for a show of support is very slim but at Pat’s request I am making the effort to encourage area residents (and myself).

I know many of you were kind enough to send emails when this situation arose last fall. Maybe a reminder is in order.

Stay tuned for Wednesday nights results.

#55302 - 01/22/07 11:20 AM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
Piano*Dad Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
Thanks for the update.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#55303 - 01/22/07 04:31 PM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
musdan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the update.

The best solution if possible would be for the Frederick's to buy the building. They have so much invested.

I have a feeling that the "powers that be" would never allow that to happen. Hope the town takes advantage of the suggestions that you have posted.

Hope all goes well for the Fredericks. \:\)

#55304 - 01/24/07 11:43 PM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
musdan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Terry,

How did the meeting go? \:\)

#55305 - 02/05/07 09:52 AM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
musdan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Terry,

Did the February Town Meeting happen yet? If it has, what did they decide?

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date. \:\)

#55306 - 02/06/07 08:59 PM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The meeting of the town selectmen last night in Ashburnham, MA, surprised all in attendance when it was announced by the selectmen that an unanticipated option had suddenly materialized that would avoid their having to inconvenience anyone, and that everyone will be happy with!

The details have not been completely worked out but the revised plan will be announced on Wednesday, 2/7/07.

Pat Frederick eagerly anticipates returning her priorities to the preparation of the spring concert series and continuing in their efforts to make available to the public the historic piano collection & study center.

Thanks to all who were concerned and those who offered support behind the scenes!

Should anyone have plans to be visiting the MA area, please consider dropping into the study center in Ashburnham to enjoy the fine collection of historic playable pianos and meeting Pat and Michael Frederick. Those who are intrigued and fascinated by the piano will find their visit to be both educational and memorable.

#55307 - 02/06/07 09:12 PM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hi Terry,

I am so glad to hear this. Hopefully it is a real plan, and not something that'll cause heart aches later on.

John

#55308 - 02/07/07 09:32 AM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
musdan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Terry,

Fantastic news. I hope to visit sometime in the spring or summer.

I don't drive, so how to get there "tis a puzzelment". \:\)

#55309 - 02/08/07 09:21 AM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

This is a bump to keep the news at the top.

I will call Pat when I get a chance. I want to talk to her about this and some other things.

John

#55310 - 02/22/07 10:16 PM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
reliv4all Offline

Loc: New England
Hello all,

Here is a follow up from Patricia:

"It looks as if our Piano Collection will be able to stay in its building until the end of our lease in June, 2010."

"Now we can turn our attention back to planning our concert seasons for spring and fall, 2007. Our spring schedule is still incomplete; although we know who is playing, and when, they have not all decided on their program details.
You can see what is scheduled so far, on our website at www.FrederickCollection.org The fliers will be mailed early in April."

The piano museum is back in business!

#55311 - 02/24/07 02:13 PM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
Kristina Richards Offline

Loc: Seattle
Hey, what are other great piano collections?

Recommended for those seeking a thorough history lesson...

#55312 - 02/24/07 04:02 PM Re: Help Save the Historic Piano Collection! (updated)
John Citron Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristina Richards:
Hey, what are other great piano collections?

Recommended for those seeking a thorough history lesson... [/b]
Hi Kristina,

There are a couple of others around, but this one is a touch and play kind of place. The others I think are more like collections at art museums where you can look, but absolutely can not touch. Here you get to play all the instruments after the tour. This quite the place, and a really wonderful treat.

I went on the official tour not quite two years ago, and I can still picture the location of every piano in the building. They've since added a new member to the collection, and I had the opportunity to try the instrument. It's an 1888 screw-stringer Mason & Hamlin grand about 7'3" long.

I'm looking forward to another tour, and especially to the new concert season.

John

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland PHA3 action, graded?
by stamkorg
11/27/14 02:54 PM
Hello all
by Jytte
11/27/14 02:10 PM
Happy Thanksgiving
by JoelW
11/27/14 01:12 PM
HAS ANYONE EVER PLAYED THIS?
by LuisFelix
11/27/14 12:29 PM
Piano evening at my teachers house
by Peter071
11/27/14 10:04 AM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159400 Topics
2341539 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission