Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#556479 - 12/02/07 01:33 AM Anybody ever see this guy?
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Link

He HAS to be suffering from psychosis.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#556480 - 12/02/07 02:26 AM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
vanityx3 Offline

I saw it before. I get confused most times I watch it, not by not understanding what is being said, but by wondering why it really matters. Most people aren't going to believe a great concert pianist would fake something, unless it is blatantly obvious; and I'm sure if a concert pianist would fake a passage to make it easier for himself, he would do everything he could to not let the audience know he was faking.

I don't think it matters, to me at least.

#556481 - 12/02/07 03:08 AM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
op30no3 Offline

Loc: Rochester, NY
I can't figure out if he is joking or just really, really, really stupid.

#556482 - 12/02/07 06:30 AM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
Amaiakuyume Offline

Loc: Australia
Dear God, have you read the comments? The poster of the video (who most suspect to be the guy in it) claims that:

1. No one besides a composer can play that passage because their brains are "wired incorrectly"

2. Kastle's allegedly superior version was censored by a conspiracy engineered by EMI, who then released Cziffra's "fake" version and "marketed it as "The Greatest of the Century"

3. Horowitz's lack of ability to write a symphony proves he could not possibly play La Campanella. "In addition, he had the action on his piano adjusted to create an illusion that he could play at a higher level than others. He was a fine illusionist, the Houdini of the arts." (Whaaaat!?)

4. There is a "masive(sic) brainwashing campaign that has allowed frauds who can't create symphonies to take over the concert halls."

5. "Kastle is the only pianist on record in the 20th century who played the ending on this Rhapsody as written. That's why it is the hardest passage. All others with poorly wired brains must fake."

6. "Juilliard removed the creative challenges from the curriculum, creating an incorrect environment in the brain. Columbia students refer to it as the retard academy, because they systematically stop the neurons from forming interconnected circuits between the hippocampus and the pre-frontal cortex. They interfere with a natural process effectively giving their students a white matter lobotomy. That's why they can't write a symphony and fake Liszt."

7. Rachmaninoff also faked the ending to this piece "Rachmaninoff puts his hands together simplifying 110 confusing hand positions to 55(sometimes he rolls his RH)... Kastle doesn't fake like Rachmaninoff,Horowitz,Cziffra,Lang,Hamlin,Dichter,Brendel ect."

Later:"This is a passage Rachmaninoff couldn't play."

(So...is he...claiming to be...BETTER than RACHMANINOFF!? *mind boggles*)

8. "Pianists are not trained like violinists. They're trained to be con artists who cover up for each other's faking."

I'd go on, but I think thats enough for now. I can't decide if it's hilarious or offensive...I'm only an amateur and I'm sitting here shaking my head at the sheer stupidity of every word he posts

#556483 - 12/02/07 06:42 AM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
Schubertian Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX, US
this is your brain on drugs

#556484 - 12/02/07 07:24 AM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Such an amount of idiocies! Is he for real???!?!!??? I mean does he thing that all the rest of the world is SO ignorant to not see that 90% of what he says are... XXXXXXXX ???!?!??

So many inconsistancies, so many weird mentionings, so manyu inaccuracies, so many lies...

#556485 - 12/02/07 10:01 AM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by op30no3:
I can't figure out if he is joking or just really, really, really stupid. [/b]
"If they told you the truth, that the conductor is distorting the sound of Beethoven Symphonies, if they told you the truth about the Chinese pianist cheating like the Chinese atheletes at the Olympics" ..... "People need to realize what I always knew"

Matt

#556486 - 12/02/07 10:09 AM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Even more scary!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF5Jx7GgoTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euubceZrc_E&feature=user

Someone may be unhappy that he didn't get accepted to Juiliard!

#556487 - 12/02/07 10:40 AM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Geneva, Switzerland
Blimey. This poor chap is evidently as mad as a box of frogs, and needs some highly expensive psychiatric help ASAP!

-Michael B.
There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

#556488 - 12/02/07 10:42 AM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I think it's funny to watch \:D

#556489 - 12/02/07 10:47 AM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
 Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff135:
Link

He HAS to be suffering from psychosis. [/b]
According to him, I'm a genius, and my brain is wired in the best way perfectly!

#556490 - 12/02/07 09:06 PM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh, I also agree that Kastle is definately the same as the poster.

His arrogance IS amazing though. In my opinion he's just bitter because he isn't famous.

#556491 - 12/02/07 09:44 PM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
Theowne Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
It seems like this video comes up and is insulted a lot, but I can't understand why nobody comments on the actual comment he is making.

I have never played this rhapsody and I am not familiar with the score.

So can someone actually bother to tell us whether Kastle's claim is accurate? Do other pianists modify the way the piece is written, and is he playing it correctly?

#556492 - 12/02/07 10:03 PM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
vanityx3 Offline

Lang Lang version does sound different than Hamelin version, I like Hamelins better and it does sound fuller.

#556493 - 12/02/07 10:08 PM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

vanityx3: wrong thread?!?

#556494 - 12/02/07 11:07 PM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
vanityx3 Offline

no i had it right. haha. I was responding to what Theown had wrote.
I meant check out Lang Lang's Hungarian Rhaps. 2 on youtube and compare the end of his to Hamelin's

They sound different although, I'm not sure why.
Sorry I confused you.

#556495 - 12/02/07 11:13 PM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hahah sorry... I thought this was supposed to be in the "People United Will Never Be Defeated Thread"

Sorry about the mix up.

#556496 - 12/02/07 11:36 PM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theowne:
It seems like this video comes up and is insulted a lot, but I can't understand why nobody comments on the actual comment he is making.

So can someone actually bother to tell us whether Kastle's claim is accurate? Do other pianists modify the way the piece is written, and is he playing it correctly? [/b]
I would but I do not have a copy of the score handy.

I am curious as to the validity of his statement.

That said, to imply that every major recording artist in history has faked that particular passage, including technical monsters such as Hamelin who has performed the most difficult pieces in the repertoire as if it was nothing, is a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

#556497 - 12/02/07 11:56 PM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
op30no3 Offline

Quote:

So can someone actually bother to tell us whether Kastle's claim is accurate? Do other pianists modify the way the piece is written, and is he playing it correctly? [/b]
His claim is absolutely ridiculous. Everything he says is ridiculous. The right and left hand parts are exactly the same, simply played with the right hand a sixteenth note (I think that's the right note value; haven't looked at the score in a couple years) later than the left. There are no "separate tracks" needed. This part of the piece is not hard, and nobody fakes it. Playing the octaves together would make it harder, not easier, anyway, IMHO.

His playing is also bad--he just slams down the pedal and plays bad-sounding notes with no dynamics or sense of balance or control.

I looked up the animations that were supposed to have won awards at the New York Independent Film and Video Festival, and it is TRUE! I have no idea why, but he really did win a best director's award...

#556498 - 12/02/07 11:56 PM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
vanityx3 Offline

yea, but he says kissen doesn't fake in one of the comments. So he says everyone but Kissen fakes. hahaha

#556499 - 12/03/07 12:03 AM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Kissin and him are the only two pianists who play it correctly? This guy is really funny. I mean he is really funny.

#556500 - 12/03/07 01:02 AM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:

His claim is absolutely ridiculous. Everything he says is ridiculous. The right and left hand parts are exactly the same, simply played with the right hand a sixteenth note (I think that's the right note value; haven't looked at the score in a couple years) later than the left. There are no "separate tracks" needed. This part of the piece is not hard, and nobody fakes it. Playing the octaves together would make it harder, not easier, anyway, IMHO.

His playing is also bad--he just slams down the pedal and plays bad-sounding notes with no dynamics or sense of balance or control.

I looked up the animations that were supposed to have won awards at the New York Independent Film and Video Festival, and it is TRUE! I have no idea why, but he really did win a best director's award... [/b]
I agree that his performance of it is very sub-par. Lacks clarity and excitement.

So, are you positive both hands are the same but a 16th note apart?

Basically, is he blowing smoke?

#556501 - 12/03/07 01:22 AM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
 Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff135:
 Quote:
 Quote:

I looked up the animations that were supposed to have won awards at the New York Independent Film and Video Festival, and it is TRUE! I have no idea why, but he really did win a best director's award... [/b]
I agree that his performance of it is very sub-par. Lacks clarity and excitement.

So, are you positive both hands are the same but a 16th note apart?

Basically, is he blowing smoke? [/b]
I actually believe that, yes, both hands are the same but a 16th note apart... But, don't have the score here (as well).

Can anybody, with the score, check please, because I'm starting to have doubts about my memory...

I can't say I enjoyed those 40 secs in the video, but it's 40 secs, I would prefer them to stop talking and play a bit more, instead of insulting everyone on the planet...

#556502 - 12/03/07 05:08 AM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
Arabesque Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Japan
Had a look at the score. Would have thought Rach 3 cadenza is more difficult. When I was 15 I often played or 'faked' the Liszt in a different key and transposed it. Nothing more than standard Grade 9. Difficult for a few hours and after that the pattern is easily memorised. I don't follow all this "auto-pilot" stuff he was on about, but I think he has an approxiamate grasp of the psychology involved.

#556503 - 12/03/07 10:37 AM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
op30no3 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Arabesque:
Had a look at the score. Would have thought Rach 3 cadenza is more difficult. When I was 15 I often played or 'faked' the Liszt in a different key and transposed it. Nothing more than standard Grade 9. Difficult for a few hours and after that the pattern is easily memorised. I don't follow all this "auto-pilot" stuff he was on about, but I think he has an approxiamate grasp of the psychology involved. [/b]
His psychology is rubbish--a good pianist is never, ever on "auto-pilot." There is no difficult trick to playing that part. I know that the parts are exactly the same and have no doubts. Nothing he says has any validity whatsoever.

#556504 - 12/03/07 06:04 PM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Heh,

the more I listen to him the more I dislike him. I think it's funny how he is slamming other pianists/musicians because he himself can't get famous.

I wonder why...

#556505 - 12/03/07 11:10 PM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
Tenuto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Who cares. I don't waste my time analyzing nut jobs. It's not my profession.

#556506 - 12/03/07 11:45 PM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
Paul Kolodner Offline

Loc: Hoboken, NJ
I don't have the technical ability to say whether his claims about performances of difficult passages being faked have merit. But there is something I recognize here. Every now and then, we physicists encounter scientific crackpots and outright charlatans. He sounds a lot like them. The similarities are:

1. He is the only person who really knows the truth - all the experts are wrong or outright liars. Fake physicists are all smarter than Einstein.
2. He doesn't present his claims in a way that can be substantiated. In science, the charlatans publish popular books, not refereed journal articles. In his case, he explains in an interview with an actor who doesn't know anything about music. You don't see him sitting down with a real pianist, demonstrating the flaws, or playing recordings at slow speeds so fast passages can be clearly followed.
3. Fame and fortune are passing him by unfairly. It's a conspiracy.

The signs are all there: nut-job.

#556507 - 12/03/07 11:47 PM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Kolodner:
nut-job. [/b]
bingo

#556508 - 12/03/07 11:59 PM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
Cheeto717 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
very interesting post Paul
Brahms: Op. 120
Chopin: Op. 10

#556509 - 12/04/07 03:02 AM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I agree it is a conspiracy, one that apparently holds no validity (according to people who have confirmed that the score indicates that the ending passage is simply the same notes a 16th note apart).

It doesn't help that his voice is so damn annoying though.

#556510 - 12/04/07 11:31 PM Re: Anybody ever see this guy?
asherf Offline

Loc: Colorado
He must have been a bottle fed as a child.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tired and groggy
by PhilipInChina
09/21/14 08:26 AM
Digital piano key noise
by bigsmile
09/21/14 03:15 AM
Hans von Bulow's piano
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:57 AM
Rubinstein teaching style
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:52 AM
Question regarding "technique"
by Francisco Scalco
09/21/14 12:29 AM
Who's Online
80 registered (anotherscott, Altair, Alex75001, aesop, 26 invisible), 980 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157663 Topics
2315794 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission