2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Kissin and him are the only two pianists who play it correctly? This guy is really funny. I mean he is really funny.

Jeff135 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by op30no3:
Originally posted by Theowne:
[b] It seems like this video comes up and is insulted a lot, but I can't understand why nobody comments on the actual comment he is making.

I have never played this rhapsody and I am not familiar with the score.

So can someone actually bother to tell us whether Kastle's claim is accurate? Do other pianists modify the way the piece is written, and is he playing it correctly?
His claim is absolutely ridiculous. Everything he says is ridiculous. The right and left hand parts are exactly the same, simply played with the right hand a sixteenth note (I think that's the right note value; haven't looked at the score in a couple years) later than the left. There are no "separate tracks" needed. This part of the piece is not hard, and nobody fakes it. Playing the octaves together would make it harder, not easier, anyway, IMHO.

His playing is also bad--he just slams down the pedal and plays bad-sounding notes with no dynamics or sense of balance or control.

I looked up the animations that were supposed to have won awards at the New York Independent Film and Video Festival, and it is TRUE! I have no idea why, but he really did win a best director's award... [/b]
I agree that his performance of it is very sub-par. Lacks clarity and excitement.

So, are you positive both hands are the same but a 16th note apart?

Basically, is he blowing smoke?

The clown is watching you.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Jeff135:
Originally posted by op30no3:
[b]
Originally posted by Theowne:
[b] It seems like this video comes up and is insulted a lot, but I can't understand why nobody comments on the actual comment he is making.

I have never played this rhapsody and I am not familiar with the score.

So can someone actually bother to tell us whether Kastle's claim is accurate? Do other pianists modify the way the piece is written, and is he playing it correctly?
His claim is absolutely ridiculous. Everything he says is ridiculous. The right and left hand parts are exactly the same, simply played with the right hand a sixteenth note (I think that's the right note value; haven't looked at the score in a couple years) later than the left. There are no "separate tracks" needed. This part of the piece is not hard, and nobody fakes it. Playing the octaves together would make it harder, not easier, anyway, IMHO.

His playing is also bad--he just slams down the pedal and plays bad-sounding notes with no dynamics or sense of balance or control.

I looked up the animations that were supposed to have won awards at the New York Independent Film and Video Festival, and it is TRUE! I have no idea why, but he really did win a best director's award... [/b]
I agree that his performance of it is very sub-par. Lacks clarity and excitement.

So, are you positive both hands are the same but a 16th note apart?

Basically, is he blowing smoke? [/b]
I actually believe that, yes, both hands are the same but a 16th note apart... But, don't have the score here (as well).

Can anybody, with the score, check please, because I'm starting to have doubts about my memory...

I can't say I enjoyed those 40 secs in the video, but it's 40 secs, I would prefer them to stop talking and play a bit more, instead of insulting everyone on the planet...

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Had a look at the score. Would have thought Rach 3 cadenza is more difficult. When I was 15 I often played or 'faked' the Liszt in a different key and transposed it. Nothing more than standard Grade 9. Difficult for a few hours and after that the pattern is easily memorised. I don't follow all this "auto-pilot" stuff he was on about, but I think he has an approxiamate grasp of the psychology involved.

It don't mean a ting if it don't have dat swing
Originally posted by Arabesque:
Had a look at the score. Would have thought Rach 3 cadenza is more difficult. When I was 15 I often played or 'faked' the Liszt in a different key and transposed it. Nothing more than standard Grade 9. Difficult for a few hours and after that the pattern is easily memorised. I don't follow all this "auto-pilot" stuff he was on about, but I think he has an approxiamate grasp of the psychology involved.
His psychology is rubbish--a good pianist is never, ever on "auto-pilot." There is no difficult trick to playing that part. I know that the parts are exactly the same and have no doubts. Nothing he says has any validity whatsoever.

Help people. www.thehungersite.com
Go and click the button. That's it. Just do it.
Jeff135 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Heh,

the more I listen to him the more I dislike him. I think it's funny how he is slamming other pianists/musicians because he himself can't get famous.

I wonder why...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Who cares. I don't waste my time analyzing nut jobs. It's not my profession.

P
P
I don't have the technical ability to say whether his claims about performances of difficult passages being faked have merit. But there is something I recognize here. Every now and then, we physicists encounter scientific crackpots and outright charlatans. He sounds a lot like them. The similarities are:

1. He is the only person who really knows the truth - all the experts are wrong or outright liars. Fake physicists are all smarter than Einstein.
2. He doesn't present his claims in a way that can be substantiated. In science, the charlatans publish popular books, not refereed journal articles. In his case, he explains in an interview with an actor who doesn't know anything about music. You don't see him sitting down with a real pianist, demonstrating the flaws, or playing recordings at slow speeds so fast passages can be clearly followed.
3. Fame and fortune are passing him by unfairly. It's a conspiracy.

The signs are all there: nut-job.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally posted by Paul Kolodner:
nut-job.
bingo

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
very interesting post Paul

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
Jeff135 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I agree it is a conspiracy, one that apparently holds no validity (according to people who have confirmed that the score indicates that the ending passage is simply the same notes a 16th note apart).

It doesn't help that his voice is so damn annoying though.

A
A
He must have been a bottle fed as a child.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission