Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
62 registered (AtlantisHero, Adypiano, AZNpiano, allakart, 13 invisible), 1145 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#556665 - 02/15/07 07:48 PM Joyce Hatto hoax
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#556666 - 02/15/07 07:57 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Absolutely astonishing.

It was amazing, though, that anyone could record all of that music. I've got her Hammerklavier, which I haven't listened to as yet. I wonder who recorded it?

#556667 - 02/15/07 08:34 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
Amazing!! \:D

But I have one question:
Who the f*** is Joyce Hatto?

#556668 - 02/15/07 09:27 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
PianoGate

#556669 - 02/15/07 09:36 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
it's shocking things like this could ever happen...

#556670 - 02/15/07 09:51 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
Oh. My. God.

This is unbelievable, I have a friend who will be very[/b] interested to read this.

#556671 - 02/15/07 10:15 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Yes indeed, this is very[/b] interesting. For several years I've read glowing reviews of Hatto in Gramophone, but something about the whole thing just seemed a bit dodgy. I wondered how a woman in such poor health could have made such landmark recordings of some of the most piano difficult literature.

I had planned on purchasing some of her CDs, but the music would always have duplicated existing -and satisfactory- recordings in my library. After Hamelin, I didn't feel a necessity to duplicate the Godowsky Studies or add yet another Rachmaninov 3 from any pianist.

#556672 - 02/15/07 10:22 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by argerichfan:
...I wondered how a woman in such poor health could have made such landmark recordings of some of the most piano difficult literature.... [/b]
Her disease did give an excuse for her never playing in public, however (she claimed never to be able to predict when the pain from her disease was going to hit her).

I've got to listen to that Op. 106 soon.

I remember that her Barcarolle (or the one attributed to her) was pretty good but not great. I could post it. Who would sue me?

She claimed two recordings of the Chopin Études, one made on her 70th or 75th birthday. I'd love to compare the two now, to see if (with hindsight, of course) one could conclude that the set would have to have been made by two different pianists (they were purported to have been recorded only a few years apart).

(Sigh) One fantasy dashed, though - the idea that one could devote oneself assiduously to Cortot's Rational Principles..., which she claimed to have done and really achieve broad mastery of the piano literature.

#556673 - 02/15/07 10:28 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Palindrome:
Her disease did give an excuse for her never playing in public, however (she claimed never to be able to predict when the pain from her disease was going to hit her).
Yes, I had read something to that effect, yet how much of this in hindsight can I believe? Gramophone (according to the link posted above) will have an article in the April issue. I wouldn't post the Chopin right now.

#556674 - 02/15/07 10:34 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by argerichfan:
...I wouldn't post the Chopin right now. [/b]
Why not? It'll be a great "Guess the Pianist!" ;\)

I'll bet a lot of those guys proven not to be the father of Anna Nicole Smith\'s Baby start claiming to be the true pianists in the Hatto recordings. \:D

And Jason, what are you doing up at 4:30 in the morning over there in London?

#556675 - 02/16/07 12:18 AM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
Lee_Gato Offline

Someone also posted a thread regarding this on gff. This is rather intersting stuff. I have both her Chopets and Chopgods that were recorded in her 70's. I remember comparing her Chopgod No 2 Op.10 No.1 D Flat Major-Left Hand and to Hamelin's, and being were impressed. I've also been contemplating buying her recently released complete Ravel which was favorably reviewed: http://classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=10667

While the evidence posted at pristineclassical is pretty damning on the face of it, I would like to see further substantiation. I would also like to hear a formal response from Joyce's husband, who owns and runs her label, Concert Artists.

#556676 - 02/16/07 03:27 AM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee_Gato:
While the evidence posted at pristineclassical is pretty damning on the face of it, I would like to see further substantiation.
So would we all and I expect Gramophone will have much to say about this in the April issue, not to mention more brash publications like Fanfare getting into the act.

Once again, I will simply go on record as saying that, whilst I never had any inside information, the various reviews I read of Hatto's CDs caused a suspicion that something was amiss.

#556677 - 02/16/07 07:19 AM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
I'd be very interested to see how the story or 'mystery' unfolds.

#556678 - 02/16/07 07:45 AM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Geneva, Switzerland
Aha! The "Piltdown Pianist!" :rolleyes:

-Michael B.
There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

#556679 - 02/16/07 12:40 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
Interesting discussions here:

http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,23524.0.html

And here:

http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,19312.0.html

Apparently Baghdad Bob is a member of pianostreet.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#556680 - 02/16/07 01:13 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dannylux:
Interesting discussions here:
Bollocks, another forum! I spend enough time here (plus an organ and an Anglican church music forum)... perish the thought of getting involved in another. :rolleyes:

#556681 - 02/16/07 03:20 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
Tavner Offline

Loc: San Diego
Amazing! Talk about chutzpah to use another's recording and pawn it off as one's own. Should be interesting if and when more details emerge about the true culprit (husband? Hatto herself? or group of conspirators?)

#556682 - 02/16/07 03:58 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Well, I'm out a bunch. I recently acquired a lot of her recordings - Beethoven Sonatas, Ravel, Debussy, Schubert, Mozart. One wonders what her husband was thinking if this proves to be the case.

#556683 - 02/16/07 04:47 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
Well, I'm out a bunch. [/b]
No you're not, if they're as good as they're made out to be. So maybe it wasn't really her playing, but in the end you still have CDs.

#556684 - 02/16/07 05:54 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
Lemon Pledge Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pianojerome:
 Quote:
No you're not, if they're as good as they're made out to be.[/b]
Well, there's the rub, right? Are the recordings as good as they have been made out to be? I won't go so far as saying that we all hear what we expect to hear, but certainly our reactions and evaluations are affected by more than just the sound. We take into account all the information we have, whether we like it or not, I think. And the critics who fawned over these discs were apparently provided with some very inaccurate information. You can almost the hear the gears turning--slowly--in the critic brain: this pianist has mastered a ridiculous amount of rep, therefore she must be some sort of genius, and therefore her interpretations must be running over with all manner of revelatory insights. And she must have a truly unique, personal voice. \:\)

I haven't heard any Hatto recordings. I did catch some of the buzz, but I was never suspicious. Ashkenazy has recorded everything, so why not Hatto? I suppose that I just wasn't intrigued enough to buy any of the discs. I confess that I won't be disappointed if they are proven to be frauds, primarily because I find the star-cult mentality (the idea that there are a few godlike artists who alone are worthy of attention and support, because they always play better than the lesser mortals) to be absurd. Also, it would be nice to see this turn out well for all the Nojimas and Simons out there.

#556685 - 02/16/07 09:40 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pianojerome:
 Quote:
No you're not, if they're as good as they're made out to be. So maybe it wasn't really her playing, but in the end you still have CDs. [/b]
Yes, he is. I've seen Ken's CD collection. He's already got everything else, which would mean the original recordings from which the Hatto discs may have been pirated (time and more checking by eagle-eared* and technologically savvy persons will tell).

*If eagles have good eyes, I suppose the metaphor will not be misunderstood, whether or not the birds hear well, also.

#556686 - 02/17/07 10:24 AM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
calpiano Offline

Loc: California
I'm speechless... is this woman real? From reading the story I would've thought it was a much, much more well-elaborated variation of one of those "cancer patients" who coincidentally die off the minute that skepticism arises. But if she was in fact a real person I of course intend no disrespect toward her, at least not in this way.

#556687 - 02/17/07 10:56 AM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The New York Times

More interesting reading:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.classical.recordings/topics

More evidence from an independent source:

http://www.charm.rhul.ac.uk/content/contact/hatto_article.html

There are currently 104 Joyce Hatto CDs in print and 50 more awaiting production!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WT !

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#556688 - 02/17/07 11:39 AM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
Piano*Dad Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Williamsburg, VA
The statistical evidence seems overwhelming.
Grotrian 192 #156455

https://www.youtube.com/user/dhfeld/videos

#556689 - 02/17/07 12:15 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
There are currently 104 Joyce Hatto CDs in print and 50 more awaiting production!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
50?[/b] This is truly getting more bizarre all the time.

#556690 - 02/17/07 01:21 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
I just read the article in the NY Times this morning. wow. The evidence is pretty convincing so far. The question is going to be-- are any of these recordings legitimate? Did anyone here ever hear her play in person?

Sophia

#556691 - 02/19/07 12:48 AM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sophial:
Did anyone here ever hear her play in person?
Sophia [/b]
Not since her last concert in London in 1976. Some websites report 1979 as the year of her last concert.

The severe pain she experienced from cancer would overtake her anytime during a performance, so she gave up performing in public.

She fought that horrible disease for 36 years.

This is getting stranger and stranger.

She was apparently a phenomenally gifted pianist.

From a review of her Wigmore Hall debut in 1954:

The Guardian's Neville Cardus wrote of her Brahms Paganini Variations that they were "despatched in a seamless riot of ecstatic bravura laced with underlying deep musical feeling rarely countenanced in this work".

She was the first person in modern times to play all of the Beethoven-Liszt Symphonies in concert.

At another concert, she played the 12 Transendental Etudes, preceeded by Liszt's first version of the TEs.

She was told by the London Conservatory (correction: this should be the Royal Acadamy of Music) that, being a woman, she would do better to learn to cook a good roast than to study piano.

She studied with Marian Holbrooke, Serge Krish ( Busoni's pupil), Benno Moiseiwitsch, Nicolai Medtner, Alfred Cortot, Matyas Seiber, Clara Haskil, Nadia Boulanger, and others.

I've got[/b] to hear some authentic Hatto.

I have "her" Chopin-Godowsky Studies and the ChopEts.

The ChopGods are reported to be Carlo Grante's recording speeded up.

"Her" ChopGods were rated 10/10. The review is here:

http://classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=10551

My God, that woman was amazing!

She managed to make Carlo Grante sound like a great pianist.

Mel

#556692 - 02/19/07 01:20 AM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
She was the first person in modern times to play all of the Beethoven-Liszt Symphonies in concert.

At another concert, she played the 12 Transendental Etudes, preceeded by Liszt's first version of the TEs.
Any reviews of these concerts? I remain unconvinced.

I have the scores to both the Beethoven-Liszt and the earlier version of Liszt's TE. Throw in the Godowsky nonsense -I have those scores too- and I smell a rat. Pure and simple. The pianist that no one has ever heard of that just happens to negotiate this impossibly difficult repertoire with the ease that would make Hamelin blush? Bullshit.

#556693 - 02/19/07 04:31 AM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
AJB Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, England
This link posted by Dannylux was very revealing. Fascinating analysis method for comparing recordings.

More evidence from an independent source:

http://www.charm.rhul.ac.uk/content/contact/hatto_article.html

I agree with pianodad, it seems to me to be conclusive that at least some of the Hatto recordings have been misrepresented.

#556694 - 02/19/07 05:45 AM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
drumour Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Scotland
"She was told by the London Conservatory that, being a woman, she would do better to learn to cook a good roast than to study piano."

Except there's no such thing as the London Conservatory and to my knowledge there never has been.

John

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Are there any upright owners who leave the front open?
by harpon
11/29/14 01:00 AM
They don't call him the 'Poet of the Piano' for nothing!
by JoelW
11/28/14 11:53 PM
Steinway rebuild question
by schlaigs
11/28/14 10:00 PM
Baldwin Hamilton Hammer Butt and Back Stop Leather
by Ryan Hassell
11/28/14 09:55 PM
Please help me to find out the pattern of this Cdim7
by SZ54
11/28/14 08:12 PM
Forum Stats
77083 Members
42 Forums
159435 Topics
2342080 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission