Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#556725 - 02/20/07 10:33 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Opus_Maximus:
This whole thing is truly incredible - how come I haven't heard of her before?
A lot of people on the American side of the pond are asking that. Gramophone, however, reviewed the Hatto CDs on a regular basis this side of the pond.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#556726 - 02/21/07 06:22 AM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
andrewp Offline

Loc: united kingdom
An amazing thing was that he seems to have got away with inventing orchestras and conductors that do not exist.

Rene Koehler?

Someone said that 'Koehler' (German: charcoal burner) is related to the verb 'verkohlen' (to burn to charcoal, but also to play a trick on someone, to have them on...)

A knowing wink or unintentional?

#556727 - 02/21/07 04:15 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
Octavia Offline

Loc: California
Interesting link in the Wikipedia entry explaining how iTunes figures out a CD's disc ID. Wonder how this relates to attempts to expand and contract the lengths of some of the tracks.

iTunes

#556728 - 02/22/07 07:28 AM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut
You can download a one hour interview with Joyce Hatto from about a year ago here:

http://www.veledan.com/hatto/Joyce_Hatto_interview.mp3

Absolutely fascinating.

And you can hear her play a clip of the Bax, which is apparently really her playing.

Whether the interview is a hoax as well, who knows?

Discussion here:

google groups

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#556729 - 02/22/07 02:05 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
serge1paris Offline

Loc: Paris
To my ears, the interview is as fake as the recordings !!!! No serious journalist would commit such an unashamed thing... It is just a very clumsy self-promotion !

On what radio is it supposed to have been broadcasted???

I am nevertheless interested by the Mozart extracts. Who is PLAYING ????

I hear here a different piano and a different pianist. Could they be the only authentic Joyce Hatto ?

#556730 - 02/23/07 06:07 AM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by serge1paris:
On what radio is it supposed to have been broadcasted???[/b]
This is from Murray Khouri's "Pressing On" program that was broadcast on Radio New Zealand on Saturday, Dec.30, 2006:

Hatto

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get — only what you are expecting to give — which is everything. What you will receive in return varies. But it really has no connection with what you give. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn

#556731 - 02/23/07 12:09 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by serge1paris:
I am nevertheless interested by the Mozart extracts. Who is PLAYING ????
[/b]
From what I've read, the pianist appears to be Ingrid Haebler, but this has not been proven, yet.

I'll let you know when it's announced.

Mel

#556732 - 02/23/07 02:28 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
serge1paris Offline

Thank you very much Mel ! I would'nt be surprised.

Most reviewers are usually very cold with Haebler's Mozart. But apparently it makes a good mix with Hatto melodramatic story...

The Mozart extracts from the interview are all very much to my taste.

Did you hear anything about the Chopin Ballades ???

Serge

#556733 - 02/23/07 03:44 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Roswell, Georgia
National Public Radio did a story on this topic yesterday. Here is the link:

Hatto hoax on NPR

You can listen to their analysis, and then there is also a link to Pristine Classical's Hatto Hoax proof website.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#556734 - 02/23/07 08:03 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
I just read an article by Len Mullenger on the MusicWeb-International web site in which he says that it has now emerged that Hatto's husband had previously served time for fraud. Anyone else read anything about this?

Isn't it interesting that their label Concert Artists can be abbreviated Con Artists?

Sophia

#556735 - 02/24/07 01:29 AM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
Octavia Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by sophial:
I just read an article by Len Mullenger on the MusicWeb-International web site in which he says that it has now emerged that Hatto's husband had previously served time for fraud. Anyone else read anything about this?

Isn't it interesting that their label Concert Artists can be abbreviated Con Artists?

Sophia [/b]
Here's something about it: UK Telegraph

#556736 - 02/24/07 04:03 AM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Geneva, Switzerland
Hatto's husband had previously served time for fraud.[/b]

With a name like Barrington-Coupe, he does sound like one of those rotters from a P.G. Wodehouse tale. What a bounder! Such a cad!

-Michael B.
There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

#556737 - 02/24/07 02:33 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
yok Offline

Loc: New Zealand
 Quote:
To my ears, the interview is as fake as the recordings !!!! No serious journalist would commit such an unashamed thing... It is just a very clumsy self-promotion !

On what radio is it supposed to have been broadcasted???

The interviewer, Murray Khouri, is a real person (jury is still out on the interviewee, of course). I don't know whether he is a professional journalist or braodcaster, but he is heard occasionally on Concert FM, our classical music public radio station here in NZ. I think he was a clarinettist in orchestras in the UK before he settled in this country. Despite his OTT praise of Hatto, I would be surprised if he was knowingly involved in the hoax.

#556738 - 02/24/07 03:09 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
serge1paris Offline

Murray Khouri !!!

Very naive guy, don't you think ???

Could he explain again why it is so important to have all the time this very special piano, now we know we listen to different pianos and different pianists...

Hatto's voice is to be treasured too !!!

#556739 - 02/24/07 09:59 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA

#556740 - 02/25/07 01:05 AM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
dannylux Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Listen to this cut of "Hatto" playing the Mephisto Waltz:

Mephisto-Hatto

Scroll down towards the bottom of the page.

What a wonderful performance!

Does anyone recognize this pianist?

What kind of fantasy world does one have to live in to believe that's a very ill 71 year old lady playing?

Mel

#556741 - 02/25/07 01:21 AM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dannylux:
What kind of fantasy world does one have to live in to believe that's a very ill 71 year old lady playing?
I don't know, Mel, you tell me! \:D I won't hazzard a guess who's playing this; it doesn't match any recordings I have in my collection. Still, I'll go on record -so to speak- as one who smelled something dodgy about Hatto from the beginning.

#556742 - 02/25/07 04:51 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
Octavia Offline

This article speculates about a possible motive:

UK Daily Mail

#556743 - 02/26/07 12:27 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
Lee_Gato Offline

NEW: 'I did it for my wife' – Joyce Hatto exclusive, William Barrington-Coupe confesses[/b]

In an amazing turn of events, Gramophone has learned of a letter sent from William Barrington-Coupe to the head of BIS records in which he makes a full confession of his wrongdoing in the Joyce Hatto affair. Gramophone subsequently contacted Barrington-Coupe, who confirmed that he stands by the letter’s contents.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/newsMainTemplate.asp?storyID=2765&newssectionID=1

#556744 - 02/26/07 12:52 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

There was also an article in the editorial section of the NY Times today (I don't have the link) that strongly implied Hatto herself must have been involved. I just read the Gramophone article above, and Barrington-Coupe's latest story just doesnt hold much water either. If all he was doing was inserting portions to cover her "grunts", the wave forms would not match up identically as they do. It looks like he is playing the sympathy card to avoid legal action at this point. The fascinating question still is: was Hatto herself part of this scam knowingly? if not, was it a kind of "willing disbelief" brought about by her desire to have some recognition (or revenge for a frustrated career) late in life or was she duped completely by her husband? the movie can't be too far off....

Sophia

#556745 - 02/26/07 01:17 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
from what i have read (not today's though), i already thought Hatto was the part of conspiracy herself. it's much unlikely only her husband was involved without ever her knowing.

i once asked my teacher if he could recognize his own playing from recordings, and he told me that he could. thus, Hatto might as well recoginize anything from recordings if they're her own playing or if they're not.

#556746 - 02/26/07 01:29 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
Octavia Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee_Gato:
NEW: 'I did it for my wife' – Joyce Hatto exclusive, William Barrington-Coupe confesses[/b]
[/b]
He kept selling the CDs and issuing new ones after her death. This "confession" is as self-serving as they come, and not plausible in the least (i.e, patching in sections of commercial recordings to cover up the grunts).

#556747 - 02/26/07 01:41 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
From the confessing husband we have finally this article from the UK Gramophone site:

=======================================================================================

NEW: 'I did it for my wife'[/b] – Joyce Hatto exclusive, William Barrington-Coupe confesses February 26 2007

In an amazing turn of events, Gramophone has learned of a letter sent from William Barrington-Coupe to the head of BIS records in which he makes a full confession of his wrongdoing in the Joyce Hatto affair. Gramophone subsequently contacted Barrington-Coupe, who confirmed that he stands by the letter’s contents.

It was Gramophone that first revealed how several of the recordings released by Barrington-Coupe under his late wife’s name were identical to other recordings by a range of pianists on different labels. A media storm ensued, with most of the world’s major media outlets reporting the scandal. Amidst it all, Barrington-Coupe denied all allegations of wrongdoing and insisted that he was present at all major sessions, and that the discs were all his wife’s work.

The truth, we now know from his own pen, is different. Robert von Bahr’s BIS records had one of the first identified cases of duplication – the “Hatto” recording of Liszt’s Transcendental Studies exactly matched the soundwaves on Laszlo Simon’s BIS recording. And it was to von Bahr whom Barrington-Coupe wrote his letter of confession.

Although he has made clear that he is not “seeking revenge”, von Bahr kindly agreed to make the substance of the letter known to us, especially as the writer does not bind him to confidentiality. In the letter, Barrington-Coupe explains that he did indeed pass off other people’s recordings as his wife’s, but that he did it to give her the illusion of a great end to an unfairly (as he terms it) overlooked career.

This is the story, as Barrington-Coupe tells it.

The advent of compact disc in 1983 meant that the cassettes he was producing of his wife playing were quickly ignored by critics, as magazines such as Gramophone gradually made the transition to the new format. It was not until many years later, Barrington-Coupe writes, that he had the capacity to produce CDs, by which time Hatto was already in the advanced stages of the ovarian cancer which would kill her. He tried to transfer the cassette recordings to disc, but without great success. So the decision was made to re-record her repertoire.

Although she kept up a rigorous practice regime, Barrington-Coupe says that Hatto was suffering more than she admitted, even to herself. Recording session after recording session was marred by her many grunts of pain as she played, and her husband was at a loss to know how to cover the problem passages.

Until, that is, he remembered the story of Elisabeth Schwarzkopf covering the high notes for Kirsten Flagstad in the famous EMI recording of Wagner’s Tristan und Isolde. Surely something similar could apply here, he reasoned. He began searching for pianists whose sound and style were similar to that of his wife, and once he had found them he would insert small patches of their recordings to cover his wife’s grunts.

As he grew more adept at the practice, he began to take longer sections to ease the editing process, and discovered, he says, by accident how to digitally stretch the time of the source recordings to disguise the sound. He would, he says, use Hatto’s performances as a blueprint and source recordings which were along the same lines (Laszlo, for instance, shared a teacher with his wife and so, Barington-Coupe says, had the same kind of style and technique).

The performances were hailed as superb in Gramophone and elsewhere, and finally his wife – fading fast – had the appreciation that her husband felt was rightfully hers. According to his letter, though, she did not hunger for fame and when told of the admiring article Jeremy Nicholas wrote for Gramophone early in 2006 (which had a great effect in concentrating critical eyes and ears upon her), she said: “It’s all too late.”

Barrington-Coupe, however, says he did not know about the process whereby a computer’s media player seeks to identify a recording, until it was too late. That led to his downfall. Now, he tells von Bahr, he deeply regrets what has happened. He feels that he has acted stupidly, dishonestly and unlawfully. However, he maintains that his wife knew nothing of the deception. He also claims that he has not made vast amounts of money from what he has done – and that the number of recordings sold by his company (including non-Hatto discs) between April 2006 and the time of writing only number 5595. The number of recordings sold in the previous year was only 3051 (he confirmed these figures to Gramophone).

The question remains as to how much of this confession we should actually believe. It is in some ways a humane, romantic story. However, newspaper investigations following the first Hatto revelations have uncovered shady dealing from Barrington-Coupe’s past. He received a prison sentence in 1966 for failure to pay purchase tax. Whether this throws doubt on his confession now, made only after our revelations and in the light of the fact that he continued to release “Hatto” recordings after his wife’s death, is open to debate.

What music lovers will want, and what he must surely now provide (together, where possible, with witnesses who can verify), is a full and accurate list of which Joyce Hatto recordings actually feature Joyce Hatto, and which other artists were involved where appropriate. Only then will we know how good she actually was, and only then can at least some of her reputation be salvaged. When asked to do this, Barrington-Coupe replied that he didn’t want to go down that road, adding, “I’m tired, I’m not very well. I’ve closed the operation down, I’ve had the stock completely destroyed, and I’m not producing any more. Now I just want a little bit of peace.”

As for that, much depends on how the industry reacts. Von Bahr tells Gramophone that he is unlikely to take action himself, as proving financial loss for his Simon recordings would be tricky. He has no idea, he adds, whether Barrington-Coupe is wealthy or not, and in any case, extracting damages from him might be very difficult. “I’m not moved to seek revenge,” he says, “but I’m very glad that the truth is at last known.”

Check this page for regular updates as they occur.

James Inverne, Gramophone

#556748 - 02/26/07 03:07 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
Hank Drake Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
He's only sorry he was caught.

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell

#556749 - 02/26/07 03:30 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Drake:
He's only sorry he was caught.
I thought we'd had enough of this last year with Kate Moss.

#556750 - 02/26/07 04:29 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
Lee_Gato Offline

I listened to parts of this one-hour show from Murray Khouri's "Pressing On" program for Radio New Zealand yesterday while reading the Sunday paper:
http://www.veledan.com/hatto/Joyce_Hatto_interview.mp3

She sounded like such a nice charming lady I have to admit. But based on the "confession" published today in my mind there is no way she wasn't involved in the scam.

Here is a follow-up interview with Murray Khouri http://www.radionz.co.nz/cfm/programmes/upbeat/20070219

#556751 - 02/27/07 09:48 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Sophia,

Here is the link from the NY Times. I saw the article in the paper and found it on-line by googling "Shoot the piano player" New York Times.

www.nytimes.com/2007/02/26/opinion/26dutton.html

#556752 - 02/28/07 10:33 PM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

FTP,
Thanks very much! (and thanks for your nice comments re: 1000!!)

This story is strangely compelling. can the movie be far behind? To play Hatto, how about Judi Dench? or Helen Mirren? and for her husband, Michael Gambon?

Sophia

#556753 - 03/01/07 08:06 AM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Here is the article of shooting the piano player:
======================================================================================

February 26, 2007
OP-ED CONTRIBUTOR

Shoot the Piano Player[/b]
By DENIS DUTTON[/b]

Correction Appended
Christchurch, New Zealand

IT seemed almost too good to be true, and in the end it was. A conscientious pianist who had enjoyed an active if undistinguished career in London falls ill and retreats to a small town. Here she undertakes a project to record virtually the entire standard classical repertoire. Her recordings, CDs made when she was in her late 60s and 70s, are staggering, showing a masterful technique, a preternatural ability to adapt to different styles and a depth of musical insight hardly seen elsewhere.
Born in 1928, the pianist, Joyce Hatto, was the daughter of a music-loving London antiques dealer. As a teenager, she said, she kept practicing during the Blitz, hiding under the piano when the bombs were falling. She claimed later to have known the composers Ralph Vaughn Williams, Benjamin Britten and Carl Orff, to have studied Chopin with the French virtuoso Alfred Cortot and taken advice from the pianist Clara Haskil. She was Arnold Bax’s favored interpreter for his “Symphonic Variations.”
Ms. Hatto made recordings from the 1950s until 1970 — some Mozart and Rachmaninoff — but tending toward light-music potboilers: Hubert Bath’s “Cornish Rhapsody” and Richard Addinsell’s “Warsaw Concerto.” Her career was already in decline when she was given a cancer diagnosis in the early 1970s. She retired to a village near Cambridge with her husband, a recording engineer named William Barrington-Coupe, and a fine old Steinway that Rachmaninoff himself had used for prewar recitals in Britain.
Then came one of the strangest turns in the history of classical music. Starting in 1989, Joyce Hatto began recording CDs for a small record label run by her husband. She began with Liszt, went back to cover Bach and all of the Mozart sonatas and continued with a complete Beethoven sonata set. Then on to Schubert and Schumann, Chopin and more Liszt. She played Messiaen. Her Prokofiev sonatas (all nine) were tossed off with incredible virtuosity. In total she recorded more than 120 CDs — including many of the most difficult piano pieces ever written, played with breathtaking speed and accuracy.
Intriguingly, she gave to the music a developed although oddly malleable personality. She could do Schubert in one style, and then Prokofiev almost as though she was a new person playing a different piano — an astonishing, chameleon-like artistic ability.
We normally think of prodigies as children who exhibit some kind of miraculous ability in music. Joyce Hatto became something unheard of in the annals of classical music: a prodigy of old age — the very latest of late bloomers, “the greatest living pianist that almost no one has heard of,” as the critic Richard Dyer put it for himself and many other piano aficionados in The Boston Globe.
Little wonder that when she at last succumbed to her cancer last year at age 77 — recording Beethoven’s Sonata No. 26, “Les Adieux,” from a wheelchair in her last days — The Guardian called her “one of the greatest pianists Britain has ever produced.” Nice touch, that, playing Beethoven’s farewell sonata from a wheelchair. It went along with her image in the press as an indomitable spirit with a charming personality — always ready with a quote from Shakespeare, Arthur Rubinstein or Muhammad Ali. She also had a clear vision of the mission of musical interpreters, telling The Boston Globe: “Our job is to communicate the spiritual content of life as it is presented in the music. Nothing belongs to us; all you can do is pass it along.”
Now it has become brutally clear that “passing along” is exactly what she was up to. Earlier this month, a reader of the British music magazine Gramophone told one of its critics, Jed Distler, that something odd happened when he slid Ms. Hatto’s CD of Liszt’s “Transcendental Études” into his computer. His iTunes library, linked to a catalogue of about four million CDs, immediately identified it as a recording by the Hungarian pianist Laszlo Simon. Mr. Distler then listened to both recordings, and found them identical.
Since then, analysis by professional sound engineers and piano enthusiasts across the globe has pushed toward the same conclusion: the entire Joyce Hatto oeuvre recorded after 1989 appears to be stolen from the CDs of other pianists. It is a scandal unparalleled in the annals of classical music.
Ms. Hatto usually stole from younger artists who were not household names, although on the basis of the reviews she received, they richly deserved to be. Her recording of Chopin mazurkas seems to be by Eugen Indjic; the fiendishly difficult transcription of Chopin studies by Leopold Godowsky are actually recordings by Carlo Grante and Marc-André Hamelin; her Messiaen recordings were by Paul S. Kim; her version of the “Goldberg” Variations of Bach at least in part by Pi-Hsien Chen; the complete Ravel piano music by Roger Muraro. As reports come in, the rip-off list grows daily.
Her concerto recordings are even more brazen. The CD labels say they were made with the National Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra, always conducted by one René Köhler. Mr. Barrington-Coupe told a reporter that this was his name for a pick-up orchestra of Polish émigrés whom, he said, came out from London to record at a venue he now refuses to reveal. He declined to further discuss the orchestra on the grounds that they were employed “below union rates.” No one has yet been able to find a single reference to this René Köhler outside of the Joyce Hatto recordings, nor have any members of the orchestra come forward to confirm Mr. Barrington-Coupe’s story.
In a rapturous review of Ms. Hatto’s playing of Rachmaninoff’s Third Concerto, one critic said of the orchestra musicians: “It doesn’t matter who they are, their playing is tight and hot.” Actually, it did matter, since they have turned out to be the Philharmonia Orchestra of London, conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen, performing with the formidable Yefim Bronfman. Her version of the Brahms Second Concerto is Vladimir Ashkenazy’s, with the Vienna Philharmonic under Bernard Haitink laboring in the name of René Köhler and his non-union Poles.
Since the news broke, some have likened the exploits of Joyce Hatto to the notorious 20th-century Vermeer forger Han van Meegeren. But the differences are significant. Van Meegeren’s success was based as much on presentation — stories of old Italian families impoverished before World War II and needing quick cash — as on artistic plausibility. After he confessed, it was not hard for anyone to see that his dreadful fakes had more in common with each other than with any original Vermeers.
Joyce Hatto, however, was not a pianistic forger. In order to forge a piano performance, she would have had to record Beethoven’s “Hammerklavier” herself and sell it to the world as a lost recording by, say, William Kapell. She was instead a plagiarist: she stole other pianists’ work and, with only a few electronic alterations, sold it as her own.
Although the critics who praised Van Meegerens’s “Vermeers” as masterpieces were in the end rightly humiliated, the same should not be true of those who praised Ms. Hatto’s recordings. They may have been fooled, but their opinions were not foolish, because the artists she ripped off played beautifully.
Yet the Joyce Hatto episode is a stern reminder of the importance of framing and background in criticism. Music isn’t just about sound; it is about achievement in a larger human sense. If you think an interpretation is by a 74-year-old pianist at the end of her life, it won’t sound quite the same to you as if you think it’s by a 24-year-old piano-competition winner who is just starting out. Beyond all the pretty notes, we want creative engagement and communication from music, we want music to be a bridge to another personality. Otherwise, we might as well feed Chopin scores into a computer.
This makes instrumental criticism a tricky business. I’m personally convinced that there is an authentic, objective maturity that I can hear in the later recordings of Rubinstein. This special quality of his is actually in the music, and is not just subjectively derived from seeing the wrinkles in the old man’s face. But the Joyce Hatto episode shows that our expectations, our knowledge of a back story, can subtly, or perhaps even crudely, affect our aesthetic response.
The greatest lesson for us all ought to be, however, that there are more fine young pianists out there than most of us realize. If it wasn’t Joyce Hatto, then who did perform those dazzlingly powerful Prokofiev sonatas? Having been so moved by hearing “her” Schubert on the radio, I’ve vowed to honor the real pianist by ordering the proper CD, as soon as I find out who it is. Backhanded credit to Joyce Hatto for having introduced us to some fine new talent.
Denis Dutton, who teaches aesthetics at the University of Canterbury, is the author of the forthcoming book “The Art Instinct.”
Correction: Feb. 27, 2006
An Op-Ed article yesterday, about the disputed works of the pianist Joyce Hatto, misidentified a music critic for Gramophone magazine. He is Jed Distler, not Jeremy Distler.

#556754 - 03/01/07 08:15 AM Re: Joyce Hatto hoax
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Online free encyclopaedia is one source you can see and read almost everything related to this recent scandal for those interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Hatto

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (ando, Abby Pianoman, anotherscott, Alex75001, 43 invisible), 1363 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75959 Members
42 Forums
157086 Topics
2306873 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES100 vs Kawai MP7
by gbitw
Today at 08:28 AM
Better Practice, Hands Together or Separate etc.
by Sionos
Today at 08:04 AM
Timing of the trill Invention no 1
by DreamOfSleeping
Today at 03:55 AM
Consolation 3 played by Paul Barton question
by briandang
Today at 01:37 AM
Toccata Boogie -- piano solo
by Axtremus
Today at 01:11 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission