2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#558854 09/26/01 01:27 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Can anyone tell me what the middle pedal used for? Can anyone tell me when should I press down on the 3 pedal {substain} while playing when the pedal symbol isn't there on sheet music.? How do some of you play the fatchords and expect you hands to strectch at the same time? I normaly don't play all the chords if my hands won't go that far or play some with the left hand. Ok, last question. Now, looking at the treble chef and base clef. How can I play the same notes at the same time and both of the clefs have the same note? {some preludes are like this} I hope you all understand my questions. This is bugging the tar out of me. confused confused :rolleyes:

#558855 09/26/01 05:25 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
BronzeWomn

The middle pedal is used to sustain one note and is a little trickier to use than the other 2 pedals because one has to 'catch' the note at the right time (just after striking the key). If this is done right, the note or notes that were down and the pedal was pressed will continue to vibrate freely while all other subsequent notes will not. The dampers will come back down when you release the pedal.

There are different techniques for using the sustain pedal and it is a topic that can fill pages. One oft-used technique is to play a note or notes and right after that, press the pedal. You need to come up just before playing notes that change the harmony and then back down again into the new harmony. But that is a very simplified sentence and doesn't address all the nuances available. In general, follow your ears--change when it sounds appropriate. If you end up with a muddy sound, you're not changing in the correct places. I hope others here will add to this because it is such a big topic.

Sometimes, when both hands have the same note, I actually use a finger from both hands. Sometimes I only use the hand that has the note in the melody. Sometimes I only use the hand that is most conveniently placed as long as that doesn't distort the line. It all depends and again, use your ears and judgement.

I guess when you write 'fatchords' you mean chords that have a great overall stretch from inside to outside of the hand? Practice with a loose wrist and forearm, let the fingers spread apart--don't reach for the individual notes. You'll feel this goes all the way up the arm; remember to keep your elbow free. You might need to raise you wrist up higher than usual. Never force it, practice it frequently with a span that doesn't strain. Eventually you can try to extend the range.

I hope this helps a little.

"Hunger for growth will come to you in the form of a problem." -- unknown

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission