Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#559443 - 11/08/07 08:51 PM My Piano Problem...
Outrageous Offline

Loc: Bloomington
I've played piano for several years as a child, and have recently started playing agian.. I am fairly advanced with classical music, have played Pathetique, Moonlight, and several other works around that level.

I can read through a peice and eventually learn it, but here are my problems: I have no idea what diminished, or 3/5/7 chords mean, or how to relate any of that to music. I only know the major white key scales by heart, and I have NO ability to improvise, or a clue how to start. In this sence I am almost new to piano, but very technically suave, and one who can read and conqure music.

Do you guys have a good approach at how I could get better at the things I am missing? A good book or lesson to get me started? Hope I explained myself well, Thanks for reading.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#559444 - 11/08/07 11:03 PM Re: My Piano Problem...
Tenuto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: U.S.A.
You need a good teacher. Do you have one?

#559445 - 11/08/07 11:14 PM Re: My Piano Problem...
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
all you have to do is to either find a music dictionary (or online one) or go to this site:

http://www.musictheory.net/

a diminished whatever chord means a half-step short from original chord (7th). i'm sure you can find more detailed explanation over the theory or music dictionary site.

btw, you don't need a teacher to tell you that unless that's what you prefer.

#559446 - 11/09/07 09:52 AM Re: My Piano Problem...
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
As far as improvisation goes, dont' worry about scales or chords just yet. You already have the ability. Start simple, improvising a melody (only one note at a time) on all black keys. At first, you probably won't know what to play, and that's alright, just start doodling on the keys. Once you've done that for a few days in a row (or if this was easy, you can proceed right away), then do the same thing, black keys only, but this time, try to direct your melody a bit. If you feel it should go up, then go up. Think how far you want it to go (step, skip or leap), and don't leave out repeated notes as an option either. Melody is the most important part of most compositions, and so starting here is the most logical way to get improvising. I would continue this until you can start thinking of actual pitches in your mind, and then finding them on the keys. You may proceed to improvising on all white keys during this process, however.

Once you become good at improvising melodies and finding pitches you "hear" in your mind, then you are ready to proceed to chords. The most importnat chords in most western music are I IV V (then return to I). If you are unsure about what these are, brush up on your music theory. The website that signa recommended is a good one for this, or if you prefer a book to work out of, Alfred's Essentials of Music Theory is excellent for this. A teacher can really help you through all of this, but it can be done on your own, it just may be a bit harder.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#559447 - 11/09/07 10:44 AM Re: My Piano Problem...
Stanza Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
I never improvized or really employed much theory until I took up some guitar. Most all modern and jazz pieces are pretty much chord based and people use lead sheets for chord strums and arpeggios. It is interesting that most guitarists don't read music but understand scale modes and progressions pretty well.

Anyway my point is to play along with a "backing track" (see below for some free ones). So let's say you play along with one in A minor. You can just noodle around on your Ami scale and play some appropriate chords,ie Ami,Dmi, E7 when needed.

Hearing the chord progression will help the theory make sense. Learn the I,IV, V7, progression in a few keys, learn a few related major, minor, and blues scales, and just have fun.
With the backing tracks you don't have to "carry the whole musical load", just jump in and out of the mix.

Go to
http://www.scottlernermusic.com/backings/
or
http://www.bluesblast.com/

Both sites have loads of mp3 "backing tracks".

There are also CDs out there as well for around 10 bucks.
Estonia L190 #7004
Casio PX 310
Yamaha NP 30

#559448 - 11/09/07 11:03 AM Re: My Piano Problem...
Will335 Offline

Loc: Southampton
On the subject of improvising - I think about 50% of this skill is listening and 50% having faith in any idea you come up with as you're playing: The best thing is - an improvisation doesn't have any rules, you make the rules up as you go along. So, keep it simple - start with c,f#,b or repeated staccato quavers or eb+d, c+d, eb+d, c+d, eb+d and then let the music decide where it wants to go - Imagine your spontaneously compsing a piece rather than improvising.

#559449 - 11/09/07 11:06 AM Re: My Piano Problem...
193866 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Manassas,Va
Hello, Welcome to Piano World as a new member. I had a classical piano background and wanted to learn Big Band improv mostly, how to read fakes sheets in general too, improv in general with no music. I went back to studies after I hired a very good classical piano teacher who knew how to arrange music, improv Big Band, himself,etc, very professional gentleman, this is very important they know how themselves to teach you to be the most professional sounding you can with your degree of talent. This very qualified teacher will bring out all of your talent if given a chance with time. A piano teacher who is graudate of a well known conservatory of music usually has these skills to teach you all of this. This is a very academic pursuit and needs more education to be your best possible. A gift to yourself. I treasure this extra music education , and feel grateful, every time I sit down to play the piano. Good luck in your adventure of piano studies. Cheers, Sandy B

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (accordeur, alex-kid, 3rd Ear, Anote, 38 invisible), 1549 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74258 Members
42 Forums
153610 Topics
2251330 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
stuff fell through the Kawai K8 fallboard, into the piano
by akita
04/20/14 03:12 PM
How did YOU get started on software pianos?
by doremi
04/20/14 03:02 PM
Advice needed: what to do with piano during a major remodel
by akita
04/20/14 02:31 PM
Few questions from a newbie regarding Bach and playing piano
by The Lark Ascending
04/20/14 02:18 PM
Should I play piano with different tone setting?
by Clannad
04/20/14 01:53 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission