2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, 9 invisible), 1,393 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#559469 07/02/01 11:48 AM
S
sj@@k Offline OP
OP Offline
S
is the first variation a difficult piece,or are there any hard moments in it?

sj@@k

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hmmm....I guess "difficult" is somewhat relative. But, no, this particular variation is not any more difficult than most of the Inventions. If you can play well a two/three part invention you'd be able to manage it. If I remember rightly, it is a two-part invention of sorts.

[ July 02, 2001: Message edited by: netizen ]

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
D
D
Being in the middle of trying to perfect it I think it is definately more difficult than an invention. I presume you mean the first variation and not the Aria, but anyway my humble opinion is that it is difficult (and that's also the opinion of a concert pianist I know who has recorded all the variations. It's certainly not the most difficult of them but it's no pushover).

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Diarmuid,

Yes, I am speaking here only of the first variation (as that's what the poster asked about). Not the aria.

we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
The Goldbergs (in general) are so much more musically sophisticated than the inventions and therby more difficult to pull off, technically & musically IMO. The 'line' is much longer than the inventions--I find the Goldbergs terribly difficult--IMO the Beethoven sonatas (many of them, anyway) are easier than the Goldbergs any day. I can get through Schubert's Wanderer Fantasy easier than the Goldbergs. There are quite a few more notes in the "Wanderer", but it seems easier than the Goldbergs. My brain seems to work much more efficiently with Schubert, Beethoven etc. (orchestral type piano music) than with Bach.

One of my favorite Bach players is Wilhelm Kempff--his Bach transcriptions (his arrangements) CD is outstanding.

Mat D.

[ July 03, 2001: Message edited by: Mat D. ]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Matt D,

I appreciate your comments. Absolutely, the Goldberg Variations are of a higher musical order than the inventions. Jeepers! I certainly hope I don't come across as suggesting that they are equivalents. My point is that the first variation itself doesn't strike me, as especially difficult (nothing your garden variety college piano student of modest ability and ambition couldn't manage). Intermediate-lower advanced I suppose I would place it. No? I learned it years ago and didn't find it all that difficult. As they say, your own mileage may vary. Thanks !

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"Wilhelm Kempff--his Bach transcriptions (his arrangements) CD is outstanding."

Yes, the first time I heard them I was driving about town and listening to a classical radio station. I eventually had to pull the car over and turn up the volume. They are true gems. Do you know any of his original compositions? I heard a piano trio of his once and thought it very good. I would like to know more about his work as a composer.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Hi Netizen,

Unfortunately I have never heard any of Kempff's original compositions. He was a great musician and the older I get, the more I appreciate him. For me, his Beethoven sonatas are the best (if i had to choose); he seems to have such a genuine love for the music that it brings a smile to my face when I listen.

BTW, I didn't mean to come off as argumentative about the Goldbergs--I apologize if it read that way (I should proof-read more often). For me personally, they are very difficult, but that's just me. I agree that the first variation is one that is attainable by a player that is mid-advanced level. To really pull off the "set" is another thing altogether as you know; there are the "notes", and then there is the "music"...--the music is very hard to pull-off.

Mat D.

[ July 03, 2001: Message edited by: Mat D. ]

D
D
Hi Netizen,

I too was not trying to be argumentative. When I sought clarification on the aria and the 1st variation I was addressing the original questioner.

Anyway for the average amateur (that's me!) I reckon it's fair to say it's a difficult piece. Maybe it's moderate to advanced for a college piano student but most of us here just ain't that good! All I can say is that technically and musically I find it much trickier than any of the two-part Bach inventions I've played. Saying that Brendan says I play it too quickly anyway so maybe that's why.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission