Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#56000 - 03/03/06 07:17 PM Key sticking??
kwoksmusic Offline

Loc: California
Hi - does anyone have experience with a brand new piano with keys that stick? This is a brand new grand. Within 3 months, I have one key stick twice (i.e. fixed, then stuck again), and now a 3rd. key. I had an old upright for 20+ years, never had a key stick ever! Does anyone have experience with this problem and why it does that?

When such problems occur more than once, is this indication that there is a larger systemic problem and ask the dealer to change the piano?

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#56001 - 03/03/06 07:36 PM Re: Key sticking??
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
kwoksmusic :

I don't think at this point you should be unduly concerned. Your piano has just barely had time to fully adjust to its new environment, and the sticking keys could be caused by more than one "normal" phenomenon. Has there been any marked increase in humidity recently in your home? If your dealer/technician is working with you on this situation, you should have no cause for concern.

Regards,
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#56002 - 03/03/06 07:53 PM Re: Key sticking??
CTPianotech Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CT
Sticking keys are one of the more common service needs of new pianos (and old). While there are a number of things that can cause a key to stick, fortunately it is usually a very easy fix.

One thing that can cause a sticking key is the key bushings need easing. Someone trying not to "overease" may actually not ease the key enough, thus the problem can return shortly after. Once again though this is only one of many things which can cause a key to stick, and one which is probably not covered in a warranty since this may be considered maintenance. Many dealers however, wanting to keep a "fresh" customer happy, will fix the problem no-charge anyhow.

If you have any concerns about some "systemic" type of problem I would recommend hiring an independent piano technician to inpect and service the piano for you.
Ritmuller/Pearl River

#56003 - 03/03/06 08:09 PM Re: Key sticking??
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

We get sticky keys in new pianos all the time. When they occur more than once, it's likely the technician did not check all the keys when he fixed the first one. If one key needs to be eased, it's likely other keys need work as well. Lift up the front of the keys 1/8" and drop them. They should fall quickly. If they stick, the key center hole needs easing. Wiggle the key from side to side. This time of year they should wiggle 1/16" side to side. No wiggle and the front bushing needs to be eased.

Have the dealer send out their best tech. Key easing and a good look at the action should take a bit of time.

#56004 - 03/03/06 08:45 PM Re: Key sticking??
kwoksmusic Offline

Loc: California
Thank you for your comments. Fortunately, the dealer is willing to work with me and of course he's not charging me - it's a brand new piano! His tech works on grands only (mostly Steinways and Bostons) and appears very knowledgeable but I don't think he went through all the keys, only the one I called him in for.

#56005 - 03/04/06 04:47 PM Re: Key sticking??
Happy Birthday Glyptodont Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I really believe I can help you here.

When I purchased my grand in 1990, a succession of keys began sticking. Each resulted in a warranty call, and the tech would fix the sticking key. Two weeks later another would stick. And so on.

Finally, the technician told me in a worried tone of voice, "this is a serious problem." The wire pins that are normally pressed into the action's pivot points were defective in my piano. The pins in my piano were copper that was electroplated with chrome. The chrome outer "skin" was peeling off of the pin, creating jams.

The tech went back to the store and had a long talk with the store owner. Finally they called me and informed me that the tech would replace ALL THE PINS IN THE ACTION. It took the tech two entire workdays, from early morning to end of day. The labor cost must have been very great, but the store owner stood the expense, no doubt hoping to get the reimbursement from Baldwin. In my case, I had purchased the grand piano new.

If you have a warranty, you may be good, such as happened to me. Otherwise, you may be in for some major expense.

I pray you do not have the systemic problem I had -- such as with with peeling off of the crome skin of the metal pins.

The person who wrote above advising you that this was no serious problem, just the normal settling in of a grand -- that's absurd advice. Sorry, but I have to say it.

#56006 - 03/04/06 05:30 PM Re: Key sticking??
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
I think your experience with the Baldwin is probably quite unusual. MOST owners of new pianos will experience a few sticky keys. MOST of the time they will be simple for a tech to remedy.

flickr

#56007 - 03/04/06 06:11 PM Re: Key sticking??
Graybeard Offline

Loc: Greenville, SC
I think Baldwin's sticky key problems started when they went to sugar pine keys instead of the more expensive spruce.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
118 registered (36251, Al LaPorte, 46 invisible), 1467 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153622 Topics
2251628 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tunelab alternative partial settings?
by Beemer
04/21/14 04:52 AM
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission