Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#560592 - 09/24/07 03:55 AM Suite for Trumpet and Piano by Vaclav Nelhybel, 1966
EbonyIvory Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi Everyone!
Has anyone here played 'Suite for Trumpet and Piano' by Vaclav Nelhybel? It was written in 1966 and goes for approx 4-5 minutes. I'm learning it for an accompanyment assessment in 3 weeks, and I haven't found any background information or recordings of this piece. I'd really like to hear a recording, as it is quite syncopated and dissonant, and my trumpeter is still learning the notes.
Any performance tips or links to recordings would be greatly appreciated! (I've already tried Google and Youtube)
Thanks \:\)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#560593 - 09/24/07 06:12 AM Re: Suite for Trumpet and Piano by Vaclav Nelhybel, 1966
Tenuto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: U.S.A.
I only have one suggestion, since I don't know the piece. Make sure you play the trumpet part on the piano first. Then play the trumpet part with the trumpeter so he plays it correctly. Then you can start adding the bass lines and harmonies. Learn small sections at a time.

#560594 - 09/24/07 08:59 AM Re: Suite for Trumpet and Piano by Vaclav Nelhybel, 1966
mrenaud Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
 Quote:
Originally posted by Tenuto:
Make sure you play the trumpet part on the piano first. Then play the trumpet part with the trumpeter so he plays it correctly.[/b]
That's a surefire way to insult the trumpeter.

#560595 - 09/24/07 03:06 PM Re: Suite for Trumpet and Piano by Vaclav Nelhybel, 1966
Tenuto Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Well, I didn't mean this in an insulting way. EbonyIvory meantioned that he was still learning the notes. The accompanist might want to discuss this with the trumpeter first, especially if the trumpeter is a beginning student.

Also, it depends on what level the accompanist is as well. Wuz just trying to help.

#560596 - 09/25/07 07:53 AM Re: Suite for Trumpet and Piano by Vaclav Nelhybel, 1966
EbonyIvory Offline

Thanks for the replies! Well, i'm quite comfortable with the accompaniment, and i think if my trumpeter plays by herself slowly, then she's fine. Its just when I come in she gets a bit lost. She won't get assessed- I'm just getting assessed for the accompaniment- but I'd be happier if we were together! I do try to 'catch up' with her when she gets lost.

#560597 - 09/26/07 09:21 AM Re: Suite for Trumpet and Piano by Vaclav Nelhybel, 1966
Iain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK
Yes I've played it (I can't believe that someone else has!) -- I performed it recently (about 4 months ago) and it went really well. The key to your part is that you need to practice with metronome a lot (that's obvious I know). The trumpeter needs to do the same and probably even more because she doesn't have your part in front of her. You can also help her out by being clear about first beats, and maybe you should make sure she knows what you do on certain first beats in the piece. Also, make sure you have points in the piece that you can both start at and recognise fully so that even if one of you gets lost, you can listen for these points. good luck!

#560598 - 09/26/07 11:10 PM Re: Suite for Trumpet and Piano by Vaclav Nelhybel, 1966
EbonyIvory Offline

Thankyou Iain! What movement did you like the best? I like the last one-its a lot of fun, i can't help smiling when we play together \:\)

Yes, next time we practise, we're DEFINATELY using the metronome for a good amount of time!! There are some bits were she will play on the beat, and i play on the off beat (or vice versa) and so we really need to work out what is happening in those bars.
Also, how did you work out dynamics and accents? In most movements (exept the 2nd and 4th) I seem to play forte all the time, and my accents are even louder than that. The trumpet is pretty loud, so I know i certainly won't drown her out! But should there be a lot of dynamic variation within the movements? I'm just asking because I haven't heard any other interpretation apart from ours!!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
106 registered (angga888, antony, Ashish, Anne'sson, accordeur, 30 invisible), 1263 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251505 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
04/20/14 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
04/20/14 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
04/20/14 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
04/20/14 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
04/20/14 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission