Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#560965 - 06/12/06 01:17 PM Re: maple leaf rag do you know it
Norsecats Offline

Loc: Minnesota
The Entertainer, if you can stand to play it.

The Maple Leaf's pretty hard. I didn't find Bethena (the ragtime waltz; very beautiful) to be all that difficult.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#560966 - 06/12/06 01:41 PM Re: maple leaf rag do you know it
virtuoso418 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Derulux:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Herr_Gnome:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Derulux:
Know it? I wrote it. Hell, I invented the rag!

(And the internet.)

(And, umm...pants.)

:p ;\) [/b]
Don't be ridiculous. Al Gore invented pants. [/b]
And the internet... :p ;\) [/b]
No, Bob Dole invented the internet.

#560967 - 06/12/06 03:04 PM Re: maple leaf rag do you know it
piano_fanatic Offline

Loc: Oklahoma!
OK I finnaly listened to Bethena I thought that is wasn't all that.............fast Oh well not all songs can tangle the fingers LOL

#560968 - 06/12/06 03:28 PM Re: maple leaf rag do you know it
Markeyz Offline

Loc: Seattle
I wouldn't say The Entertainer is the easiest of Joplin's rags. The parallel right hand chords and octaves in the left hand bass make it technically more difficult than several others.

I think the first Joplin rag I learned was Elite Syncopations. I'd say that Swipesy, Peacherine Rag, and The Easy Winners are also easier than The Entertainer.

I used to play a lot of Joplin's rags. My piano teacher in college said I should do a record of them, but I never did. The only one I remember by heart now is Maple Leaf.

http://www.marchager.com

#560969 - 06/12/06 04:26 PM Re: maple leaf rag do you know it
Fredrik Offline

Loc: Monterey Co., California
 Quote:
Originally posted by Norsecats:
The Entertainer, if you can stand to play it.[/b]
:) Yes, it was played so much after The Sting came out that it sort of marked it for (my) life.

Quote:
Originally posted by Markeyz:
I wouldn't say The Entertainer is the easiest of Joplin's rags.[/b]
Whew, I wont have to learn it, then!

Quote:
I'd say that Swipesy, Peacherine Rag, and The Easy Winners are also easier than The Entertainer.[/b]
Thanks for your opinions. I might schedule one of these after I'm done with the mazurka I'm working on. The left hand might make Joplin more annoying to play than to listen to, though: the back-and-forth for the Schubert waltz I'm working on can get me seasick sometimes. I want to give it a try, anyway.

#560970 - 06/12/06 08:03 PM Re: maple leaf rag do you know it
Anne Francis Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, ON
Anne Francis - The Banjo can be heard at my site on http://www.perfessorbill.com/pbmidi5.shtml

Perfesser Bill, thanks for that. It was great to hear The Banjo played by someone who can really play it. If I practice it for the rest of my life I will never be able to play it as fast as it's supposed to be played. Sounds like real banjo pickin'.

I don't know the Magnetic rag. It's not in my Joplin book. Must check it out.

Anne

Check out my blog! www.annefrancis.ca/blog

#560971 - 06/13/06 12:04 PM Re: maple leaf rag do you know it
Perfessor Bill Edwards Offline

Loc: Washington, D.C. area
 Quote:
Originally posted by Fredrik:
Slightly OT, perhaps: what are the best pieces to ease into Joplin/Ragtime/Stride? I'm probably only an "early intermediate" player, as the music editiors say: most of this material is probably a bit beyond me, but with fair persistance I think I could reach for a few. [/b]
OK. I'll try to give you some ease-ins, with some caveats, or perhaps more minor instruction on what they will do and how they will help.

The main difficulty with ragtime is the separate hemisphere thing. In other words, the logic or right part of your brain is running your left hand (right brain usually commands left body to some degree, and vice versa), and the left side is sending the more creative signals to your right hand. Even so, since ragtime is far from homogenous rhythmically, the primary difficulty is in separating from that homogeny into the separate hemispherical thinking where the right hand is doing its thing, but still cooperating with and regarding the steady left hand.

Also know that there are some things in true ragtime that are nearly unavoidable if you want to play true ragtime. Bass octaves are among those things. Not every bass note is an octave, of course. However, if your left hand is limited to (in C) playing just C3 and G2 below C4 (Middle C), many pieces will come out rather thin. Those lower octaves or even single notes like C2 will be necessary from time to time, if not frequently. So practice of bass octaves or lower bass notes with well formed three note chords in the boom chick pattern will be essential to making even simple ragtime sound like something beyond beginning piano.

Once that is established you need to work with melodic lines. Some rags will have you doing that with octaves, or notes within and including octaves, or in the case of some Joplin/Scott/Lamb pieces really stretching yourself in a two or more octave range of a long melodic line or one that has lots of call and response in corresponding octaves. The simpler pieces will not involve as much keyboard movement, and will allow you to grasp some of the tenets of syncopating a melody over a steady duple meter bass, preparing you for future endeavors into the more advanced stuff.

On The Entertainer: While being in C/F it is one of the more simple Joplin Rags, it does have that octave leap call and response, octave melodies, and moving lines throughout that require changing right hand chords as well as left. Not a great starter, but better than Gladiolus or Maple Leaf.

Start outside of Joplin. Pick some of the easier Charles L. Johnson pieces. These include Dill Pickles, Porcupine Rag, Crazy Bone Rag, and even Cum-Bac Rag which has a great rising octave pattern in the A section. You can play a Johnson rag at a moderate tempo and it will still work well. Does not have to be fast. The Dover editions have many of his pieces, and they are also available in a single volume from an independent publisher. Obtaining a CD that has lots of Johnson stuff on it (I recommend Sue Keller's Johnson CDs as well as my own A Bag of Rags) will also help in terms of placing the syncopations since you will have an audible guide.

Other rags, although some are harder to find, would be the Fischler or similar pieces from Vandersloot (some are in Dover editions) like Fashion Rag, Hot Chocolate, etc., that are based largely in the secondary rag or three over four patterns. Black and White Rag (currently hard to find in print but hopefully will be in a folio by the end of this year), like Dill Pickles, uses this pattern. It has implied syncopation by the emphasis of where the first or third note of each three note repeated pattern lands in conjunction with the bass, and provides an entry into understanding shifting rhythmic points, and therefore full syncopation.

If you REALLY want to start in Joplin I can recommend the following:
Country Club
Weeping Willow
Peacherine Rag
The Chyrsanthemum (a little harder, but not too much syncopation)
Solace (not a rag, but a good introduction to the format and the habanera rhythm)
School of Ragtime (found in some Joplin sources)

After these, The Entertainer will come more naturally.

WARNING: Do try this at home.

Hope that give some insight.

#560972 - 06/13/06 12:38 PM Re: maple leaf rag do you know it
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cape Cod
Hi, folks. I just uploaded some of the youth and international ragtime performances I recorded at the Sedalia Festival a few weeks ago. Here's a link to the thread:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/14527.html

Howard

#560973 - 06/13/06 03:34 PM Re: maple leaf rag do you know it
Fredrik Offline

Loc: Monterey Co., California
 Quote:
Originally posted by Perfessor Bill Edwards:
OK. I'll try to give you some ease-ins, with some caveats, or perhaps more minor instruction on what they will do and how they will help.
[/b]
Gee thanks Perfessor -- and I wasn't even enrolled! I'll start on the program in parallel with my "classical" pieces. Some of this may interest #2 Son as well.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
102 registered (anotherscott, Abby Pianoman, AndrewJCW, 36251, AZ_Astro, 31 invisible), 1456 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156221 Topics
2294313 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
BALDWIN R vs. STEINWAY M
by Karl Watson
07/28/14 08:11 AM
Best Digital Piano for Touch
by JoeCPiano
07/28/14 04:50 AM
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
07/27/14 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
07/27/14 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
07/27/14 08:31 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission