2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#563708 08/13/04 05:42 PM
OP Offline
Hi everyone,

I had my lesson yesterday and I'm trying my first pop piece. I've only played classical to this point.

I'm playing Billy Joel's "Piano Man" and in it is a chord symbol of "G11". Now, I've had music theory and I understand basics. A G11 chord is a G-B-D-F-A-C? But, I can't possibly play that many notes. So, I've been playing F-G-A-C. Is this correct?

Also, I have a "G/Fbass" symbol. So, I assume I would add a F below the G? Like this: F-G-B-D. I'm used to seeing the notes after the slash to be one of notes in the chord.

Thanks.

"Applaud friends, the comedy is over." --Ludwig van Beethoven on his deathbed.
August Förster 190 Artcase
#563709 08/13/04 06:12 PM
L
L
Originally posted by devils4ever:
Hi everyone,

I had my lesson yesterday and I'm trying my first pop piece. I've only played classical to this point.

I'm playing Billy Joel's "Piano Man" and in it is a chord symbol of "G11". Now, I've had music theory and I understand basics. A G11 chord is a G-B-D-F-A-C? But, I can't possibly play that many notes. So, I've been playing F-G-A-C. Is this correct?

Also, I have a "G/Fbass" symbol. So, I assume I would add a F below the G? Like this: F-G-B-D. I'm used to seeing the notes after the slash to be one of notes in the chord.

Thanks.
I have had some popular music training so I will have at your questions. Others can feel free to lambast me if I am incorrect.

Yes, a G11 would be GBDFAC. I would normally voice it with the bass and 7th in the left hand and then the other voices in the right. Often in commercial/pop/jazz there are chords with many notes. When there are too many to play, certain tones can be omitted. You can leave out the 5th of a chord and it will still retain its character and if playing in a rhythm section situation, you can even omit the bass if need me. The 3rd and 7th are what really give a chord its character.

Whenever you have the chord with a slash and another note, that is specifying a different bass than the tonic. And yes, in the case of G/F bass you would play a G maj. with an F in the bass. Many times you will see it without even saying its supposed to be a bass note and will look like this G/F or A/G. They are very common in Billy Joel.

Are you playing to accompany a vocalist or to just play on your own? That makes a difference as to how you voice the chord across the piano and what you emphasize.

Good luck with it, its quite different than classical! laugh

#563710 08/13/04 06:51 PM
OP Offline
lisamarie113,

Thanks for your input.

Right now my teacher is having me play the chord in the left hand and the single melody in the right hand. Next step will be to put the chord in the right hand.

I guessed correctly on the slash notes.

I'm playing on my own. I'm trying to get used to those chord symbols. I'm used to seeing all the notes printed for me.

"Applaud friends, the comedy is over." --Ludwig van Beethoven on his deathbed.
August Förster 190 Artcase
#563711 08/13/04 07:03 PM
D
D
I'm used to playing all the notes that are written and nothing else. I wish my teacher could teach me how to read chords and chord changes, it would really help with Jazz band at school, where I have no idea what I'm playing most of the time, lol!

--DR LO

#563712 08/13/04 07:08 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Buy this book:

"Jazz Piano Voicing Skills" by Dan Haerle

Get it Here

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission