2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#564084 10/12/04 07:30 AM
emrys Offline OP
OP Offline
Good morning folks,

I am just learning the above piece of music which is part of the Gr. 8 RCM repetoire.

It has taken me a MONTH of playing hands seperately to get an idea of how each "hand" sounds which is kind of weird considering this piece has 3 voices.

I haven't heard a recording of it yet so I kind of don't know how this piece COULD / SHOULD sound.

Any suggestions would be helpful, especially those geared towards a "beginner-learning-Bach" because that's how I feel.

I think I need an overall picture of how to approach this piece as well as any other Bach piece of music. Learning his music...how to read it, how to think about it, etc. is like seeing a mountain from afar, climbing and reaching one plateau and looking up and realizing that you don't even see the top, even though you know it's there.

I love Bach's music but it's just so daunting.

Are there some websites or books to read on how to approach Bach that are written in layman's language?

Thanks so much for your responses and enjoy the colours of fall.

smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Well I'll be (or D major)! I am learning that too. My first piece really with a teacher (at least for decades). It's tricky isn't it? If it makes you feel any better - it is taking me forever to learn it. Also if it is any consolation, the fugue is easier.

I found I made the fastest progress, just learning the notes, when I paused after the first note in the set of 16ths, then played the next 3 notes with the first of the next set. It really works... hard to explain...........

I adore Bach.. I wish he loved me.

Emrys - you can go to Classical Archives.com click on Bach scroll down to Well Tempered Clav...
and click on Prelude in D. There are several versions. If you click choose live recordings only, you can find a nice one. You have to scroll down only about 1/2 an inch on my computer.

http://www.classicalarchives.com/live/b.html#BACH

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by apple:
I adore Bach.. I wish he loved me.
But he does! ! ! laugh

"A print of the score has everything you need to know about the music, except the essential."
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
There are two in D major, I believe. I tried to learn the one with 3 voices and it is really tough. My teacher finally had me stop for awhile and do some simpler things with the same concept. It is beautiful, but TOUGH! I'm not giving it up completely. I keep going back and revisiting it. Good luck!

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
emrys Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello Apple smile

I find that ONE of the hardest things to do on this piece is to lift the other fingers while one of them, usually 1 or 5, is holding a note down for one or more bars. I'm looking at my right hand and saying "LIFT! LIFT!" and it's like it doesn't hear me. It takes some concentration to lift the appropriate finger.

No cheating means no pedalling frown

Do you find that your right hand gets tired after a very short time? Especially the top or upper part of the hand (the other side of the palm)?

This piece is going to take a LONG time for me to put together.

Ever wonder how Bach feels and thinks when he hears pianists learning his pieces? He must've been an especially patient person.

I should look up a biography on him. Any suggestions out there?

Apple, I don't have my music handy but I will try your suggestions and look into that website.
Thanks and let's report back once in awhile to see how we are progressing wink (positive thinking here)

we must be studying different pieces. does it have a number?

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
There are at least three D Major preludes by Bach. From WTC I, WTC II, and one in the "Six Little Preludes" set.

WTC I is a figuration prelude - running 16ths in the RH with a quarter note accompaniment.

WTC II is a binary form 3-part thing. (Kinda tricky in spots, too!)

The "Little" one is a trio sonata texture. 8th notes in the bass with two melody lines.

All three are wonderful pieces!

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
BTW...my guess is that the Grade 8 is the "Little" Prelude in D Major, BWV 936.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Kriesler - Yes, I think you are right. It is in the 18 Little Preludes Book.

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
M
M
They sell RCM CDs, if that helps.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
BWV 936 is the one in the RCM Grade 8 book. Emrys, I also recommend the RCM CDs, mainly b/c the pieces are played at a reasonable pace for learning & the ornaments are usually played as written in the books ..... Perhaps your teacher or one of her other students could share it with you.

I love all the Bach I've done so far & look also to the alternative Bach selections in the Syllabus to feed my musical curiosity. I can hardly wait to study a fugue ..... hopefully next year in grade 9.

emrys Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all for your responses.

Your enthusiasm is inspiring.

I shall see if I can borrow the CD from the library.

Play the music that you love? Well I can't wait to "really" play Bach and I have a feeling that he would be happy with that.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Even better than ClassicalArchives is mymp3sonline.net. It's free, and it has ALL the works of Bach (and I mean every single one, cantatas and all) in mp3 format, usually giving you a choice between prominent performers for each piece.

On top of that, I'm pretty sure it has all the works of Mozart and Beethoven, as well as many works from pretty much any other composer you can think of. It's a real gem of a site.

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." - Santayana
A
A
Eusebius, that is a VERY nice site! I never found it in all my search for classical mp3s.

Thanks!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Awesome, Eusebius. I owe ya one. Great site, like Naxos before they sold out.
I can't believe I've never found it.

We need to have an underground classical mp3/sheetmusic site...

K
K
Wonderful site! Thanks Eusebius!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
thnx for link. wonderful thread, discussiin of jsb and mp3's, what could be better?

"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
emrys Offline OP
OP Offline
OKAY!!!

I am very frustrated.

It has been three months since I've gotten this piece and I'm no further than I was three months ago.

I've "memorized" the RH on the first page and can kind of hum the tune in my head BUT I'm lost with the LH. The memorization does not seem to be as easy and yet it looks so much simpler on paper.
I can hum the RH and play the LH but not visa versa.

The logic, pattern, whatever it is...escapes me and I'm having a REALLY hard time with this.

Help!...Anyone else working on this piece or has worked on it and can throw any bits of advice in my directions?

But on a positive note I have learned, and can play kind of nicely, Beethoven's Bagatelle Op. 119 No. 2 and this is such a treat. So there is hope for me yet.

Thanks for reading.

NAK Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the link, Eusebius! Great site!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission