Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#565054 - 12/08/01 09:50 AM How do you attack a new piece ?
SR Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
The other night as I was sitting down at the piano working on Mozart's k265, the Twinkle Twinkle variations, a question popped into my head. I have a variety of methods with wich I approach a new piece that is too challenging to play at sight. My methods seem quite natural and obvious but perhaps others use completely different techniques. My normal approach is to play as slow as needed to find and cover all notes. If that becomes too difficult I'll revert to right hand only, then left hand only, then back to both. One phrase at a time or one page at a time gradually working up tempo while covering the notes correctly. I can't stand to miss notes. Once I've got the notes at or near tempo I start to work on making it into music.

My wife tends to dive right in and doesn't seem to mind missing notes at all. As she practices she gets more and more of the notes but never seems to get it all fixed.

What methods do you use ?

Steve

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#565055 - 12/08/01 12:15 PM Re: How do you attack a new piece ?
Dan Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Steve,

Good topic, I hope I'll learn something from everyone's response.

As for me, I'm an adult beginner and have been taking lessons for a little less than 2 years. There are so MANY things I need to work on, that I found myself almost at a dead stop when it came to learning anything new.

I want to learn to sight read, so I was forcing myself to read the music as I played.

I want to improve the evenness of my chords, so when a chord ended up as some sort of wounded arpeggio I would play it again until I got it to sound properly.

I want to improve my phrasing so I would stop and re-play sections to bring out the melody properly.

The end result of all of this was that I wasn't able to play ANYTHING. Sections of a piece that I had played already would not be playable at my next practice and so on.

So, I switched gears and over the past few weeks I've made good progress. What I'm doing now is memorizing the music and concentrating on playing the piece at or just below the final tempo.

For the simpler piece I'm working on (Satie's First Gymnopedie), I learn the piece based on it's form (AA'BCD AA'BCD'). I started with the A section, then A' and so on. When I have trouble with a section, I sit down and transcribe the score onto my own manuscript pages which allows me to see the note progression better.

For a more complex piece (Beethoven's Moonlight Mvt 1, form is Intro-A-B-A'-Coda), I do the same thing only instead of trying to do an entire section I work on just the areas I stumble over. Again, I'll transcribe so I can "see" the notes better. On Moonlight for example, measures 12 & 13 were the first two I felt I needed to transcribe.

Probably this transcription stuff is simply a method that helps me memorize the piece. Transcribing has also been nice because it has allowed me to work on learning a piece when I'm not at home sitting at my piano.

As for sight reading, chord evenness and phrasing, that work is now done it a separate portion of my practice. It's been really nice to make progress again on my ability to play and entire piece.

Anyway, kind of a long winded answer. I'll be real interested in reading other replies.

Regards,
Dan

P.S. I found a neat little program on the internet that allows me to print out manuscript pages. If anyone's interested let me know and I'll post the name. (It's on my PC at work, I'm at home, and I can't remember the name...)

#565056 - 12/08/01 02:32 PM Re: How do you attack a new piece ?
PianoMuse Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philly, PA
I often start at the ending of the peice, and jump aroudn to the most difficult sections. i practice it section by section, mastering each one. then once i have it under decent control (but at a slow speed), i then put it all together, and do LOTS of metronome work to bring the whole thing up to speed. then, and only then, do i start the interpretation (if i want to slow down, speed up, crescendo, use different hand positions, etc.) this method seems to work well.

[ December 08, 2001: Message edited by: PianoMuse ]

#565057 - 12/08/01 05:39 PM Re: How do you attack a new piece ?
Rodion Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City
i'll sight read through a piece for fun, but to actually learn it i always start with hands separate, usually in pages or blocks. i'll put them together as soon as i'm comfortable playing both at the same time.
i'll also start in different places, usually the hardest places first.
i lost my metronome \:\(

[ December 08, 2001: Message edited by: Rodion ]

[ December 08, 2001: Message edited by: Rodion ]

#565058 - 12/08/01 10:11 PM Re: How do you attack a new piece ?
magnezium Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
I'd usually read through the whole piece at a very slow tempo just to get a feel of the piece. Then I'd tackle the easy sections first.

#565059 - 12/08/01 11:32 PM Re: How do you attack a new piece ?
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Hi--

I love the phrase "attack" a new piece :p

If I'm really disciplined and want to understand the piece, I will usually sit with the music away from the piano at first... playing "air piano" a bit to understand the tempo, look for anything that's strange, understand the keys and key chnages, etc. Also very important for me, I will try to isolate the melody line right away, and get a very primitive sense of how it should "sound."

When I actually get to the piano, I will usually play each hand alone, then put them both together. If it's a particularly challenging section, I will play hands separate quite a bit, until I no longer have to really concentrate on every single note.

I find it majorly frustrating to start at a really slow speed (some things just don't sound very good until they're close to the right tempo), so this may be one reason why I do hands apart so often.

Nina

#565060 - 12/09/01 12:44 AM Re: How do you attack a new piece ?
ChemicalGrl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Durham, North Carolina
I'll have to admit - sight reading always came naturally to me. However, if I'm looking at a new piece, I'll have a look at it first from start to finish, sometimes I can "hear" in my head how it's going to sound like. Then I go to the piano and work it out at a slow tempo. This is where my metronome comes in handy. I also break up the piece into sections and master it a section at a time. Then I put it all together. I find that doing it this way cuts down the learning time for me.

But I realise people have different ways of learning new pieces. Find a way which works for you and I'm sure you'll be rewarded with the mastery of a beautiful piece to dazzle your family and friends. \:\)

#565061 - 12/09/01 11:51 AM Re: How do you attack a new piece ?
newpianoplayer Offline

Loc: CANADA
I've been trying all of the suggestions mentioned . My pieces aren't too complicated yet, just simple Bouree's and inventions. Brent Hughes site has a lot of suggestions. http://griffon.mwsc.edu/~bhugh/piano-practice.html

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
European Piano Party 2014, Picts & Stories! (Piano Party in Portugal)
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) Purely Piano Practice Software
Purely Piano Practice Software
(ad) Piano Guide Lessons
Piano Guide Lessons
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
107 registered (36251, A Guy, Abby Pianoman, AndrewAJC, accordeur, 29 invisible), 1420 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75369 Members
42 Forums
155817 Topics
2288010 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How important are the wheels for you?
by doremi
Today at 06:46 PM
Classical teacher for non-classical student?
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 06:12 PM
A220-A440 Temperament recording
by Hakki
Today at 03:34 PM
Yamaha CLP-430 or Kawai CA-15
by ilkergoksen
Today at 02:08 PM
Just wanted to say thank you
by bobamser
Today at 01:49 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission