Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#565221 - 09/14/06 12:51 AM How does a composer of piano music choose between enharmonic keys?
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Why would a composer of piano music choose to write a piece of music in C-Sharp Major instead of D-Flat Major or vice-versa (or similar circumstances with other keys)?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#565222 - 09/14/06 01:42 AM Re: How does a composer of piano music choose between enharmonic keys?
PoStTeNeBrAsLuX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Geneva, Switzerland
I believe that is is firstly for ease of reading, and secondly (following on from that) because of where the modulations go. If, for example, the piece is essentially in C#/Db major, but maybe a second subject (perhaps rather unconventionally) were in the tonic minor, such that modulations in a development section were to wander through keys like E major and even A major, then one would be tempted to annotate the piece in C# major, and take advantage of the easy to read notes for E major, rather than Fb major. But you can see how often this happens by the much larger proportion of pieces written in Db major, rather than C# major ;\)

EDIT: Another way of putting it would be that the majority of conventional pieces of music tend to modulate farther away from the tonic, and more often, through 'sharper' keys (dominant, supertonic, etc), thus leading to naturals in Db major, which would mean harder-to-read double sharps if annotated in C# major.

-Michael B.
There are two rules to success in life: Rule #1. Don't tell people everything you know.

#565223 - 09/14/06 04:27 AM Re: How does a composer of piano music choose between enharmonic keys?
Sviatoslav Offline

Loc: Italy, Torino
Different keys lead to different moods.
C # Major for example is associated with a mysterious character (Beethoven's Moonlight, Chopin's prelude op 45, scherzo n3 etc.).
And so it goes for other keys.

Some examples in Mozart could be:
C Major is the key of big ceremonies, of military marches, of solemn celebrations (and sometimes can also become a caricature). Symphony K. 338, Concerto K. 503, beginning of Concerto K. 467, beginning of the Jupiter symphony

G minor is the key of desperation, of passion, like in the Symphony K. 550 or the Quartet K. 478, Quintet K. 516, or Sonata K. 590d.

C Major - the military air "Non più andrai, farfallone amoroso" in the "Nozze di Figaro".
G minor - the very sad air of Pamina in the second act of the "Magic Flute".

There are also technical problems to solve; in an orchestra usually winds like some specific keys and the other instruments must adapt.

#565224 - 09/14/06 04:27 AM Re: How does a composer of piano music choose between enharmonic keys?
JohnEB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
pick the one which will have fewer accidentals based on modulations, as mentioned above.

#565225 - 09/14/06 05:24 AM Re: How does a composer of piano music choose between enharmonic keys?
Liszt_BG Offline

Loc: Bulgaria
 Quote:
Originally posted by Sviatoslav:
C # Major for example is associated with a mysterious character (Beethoven's Moonlight, Chopin's prelude op 45, scherzo n3 etc.).[/b]
All of the above mentioned works are in C sharp minor, not major.

#565226 - 09/14/06 05:30 AM Re: How does a composer of piano music choose between enharmonic keys?
Liszt_BG Offline

And by the way, I don't see a reason why should a composer write in, say, C# major instead of Db major only because of an intermediate or development section, meant to be in E major, or whatever. He can simply modulate into E major, shifting from 5 flats to 4 sharps. It's a simple as that.

There must be another reason about that. And I think I know what it is. For instance, I used to prefer Eb minor than D# minor, because it was way easier for me to read it. After learning the Scriabin etude op. 8 no. 12 it became quite equal. Maybe a given composer reads a key better than its enharmonic key, and that makes him write in it instead of the other.

#565227 - 09/14/06 08:21 AM Re: How does a composer of piano music choose between enharmonic keys?
pianojerome Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Well, personally, I would find C# Major MUCH easier to read that D-Flat major? Why? Because with C# Major, every note is sharped. It's just like playing in C major when no notes are sharped. With D-Flat Major, you always have to remember which keys are flat and which are not, but that is not an issue at all with C# Major.

#565228 - 09/14/06 08:49 AM Re: How does a composer of piano music choose between enharmonic keys?
Liszt_BG Offline

Interesting way of thinking, Pianojerome. To me they're the same.

#565229 - 09/14/06 09:23 AM Re: How does a composer of piano music choose between enharmonic keys?
Frank_W Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: United States
I agree with Sam. I prefer to call it C# instead of Db, and I prefer to work with sharps, rather than flats. I don't know why, but it just seems easier to me, for some reason.

#565230 - 09/14/06 09:26 AM Re: How does a composer of piano music choose between enharmonic keys?
Liszt_BG Offline

I USED TO prefer flats. Not for reading, but in general. Now the balance has shifted. I'm more comfortable using sharp keys.

#565231 - 09/14/06 09:52 AM Re: How does a composer of piano music choose between enharmonic keys?
jpw101 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
I know I've mentioned this before, but if anyone can explain why Liszt modulates from D flat major to C sharp major in the 6th Hungarian Rhapsody, I'd love to know! It would sound the same and be more readable in D flat, so why the enharmonic key signature change?

#565232 - 09/14/06 12:19 PM Re: How does a composer of piano music choose between enharmonic keys?
Max W Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: RHUL
Flip a coin?

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
WHy the topic about moderator's ban is closed ?
by Olek
10/24/14 08:41 PM
Piano Rankings
by phantomFive
10/24/14 07:59 PM
Casinitaly... No use...
by alfredo capurso
10/24/14 05:49 PM
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
10/24/14 03:43 PM
Suites Georg Böhm
by Johan B
10/24/14 03:40 PM
Who's Online
124 registered (A Guy, accordeur, 36251, alfredo capurso, 39 invisible), 1231 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76643 Members
42 Forums
158477 Topics
2327361 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission