2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I'm just curious. For those who have to sight-read things as a part of your profession (stuff like music for auditions or musical theatre rep), do you usually deliberately leave out notes?

How do people sight-read pieces at a fast tempo? Or is it about faking? How do you fake it?

Sorry, I know there are already abunch of sightreading threads going around, but I feel that you can't have enough said about sight-reading =]

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
There are times when you have to leave out notes especially if the music is to be played quickly and has a lot of chords that need to be figured out. Most of the time, however, I'm able to play the chords at tempo, but it depends on the music.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
A
A
Originally posted by soupinmyhair:
I'm just curious. For those who have to sight-read things as a part of your profession (stuff like music for auditions or musical theatre rep), do you usually deliberately leave out notes?

How do people sight-read pieces at a fast tempo? Or is it about faking? How do you fake it?

Sorry, I know there are already abunch of sightreading threads going around, but I feel that you can't have enough said about sight-reading =]
Leaving out notes: often. Of course it depends on the repertoire. If it's something that's actually composed for the piano then I try to play as many of the notes as possible, and I can get 100% for things that aren't too difficult. If it's an orchestral reduction or a figured bass realisation then I'll scan the harmonies, follow the melody carefully and improvise as needed (this is something you don't learn overnight, it takes a lot of practice). For a lot of orchestral reductions, it's silly to even try to play all the notes.

Fast tempos: if the piece follows standard patterns (scales, arpeggios, broken chords) and if you've been doing your technical work then it shouldn't be a problem. If either of those things isn't true then you do need to leave stuff out. As an accompanist, first and foremost you need to give the right harmony at the right time, and make sure you are always listening.

To put it bluntly: the first requirement is to make a noise on the first beat of every bar! ("bar" == "measure" for our American readers)

For professional level sight reading, knowing what to leave out is an absolutely fundamental skill. Noone will praise you if you play lots of notes but either drown out a singer or fail to stay in time with them. Simpler is better.

It's a good test of your theoretical knowledge. Do you know how/why the harmonies work, which notes are essential and which can be safely omitted?

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission