2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (brennbaer, AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,222 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#568586 12/06/04 09:42 PM
T
tritone Offline OP
OP Offline
T
The posting about jazz CD's got me thinking about underrated but well respected jazz pianists who never caught on in spite of their talent, etc. But musicians absolutely love them

Michel Petrucciani and Phineas Newborn come to mind. A current player I admire for his bredth of thought and compositional quality in his solos is a West Coast player Mike Wofford.

Who are yours and what could you recommend someone should listen for in their playing?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The three I listen to the most lately:

Bill Charlap
Alan Pasqua
Tommy Flanagan (sure wish he'd done more trio/solo stuff!)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Originally posted by tritone:
The posting about jazz CD's got me thinking about underrated but well respected jazz pianists who never caught on in spite of their talent, etc. But musicians absolutely love them

Michel Petrucciani and Phineas Newborn come to mind.
Michel Petrucciani. Boy do I miss him. What an amazing pianist -- all 3 feet of him. Saw him in Seattle's Jazz Alley in ~1990 with his trio. It really made me sad when he died a few years ago.

Maybe Billy Taylor falls into the category you've described as well. He's admired by people "in the know", but otherwise not hugely popular.

Lets see... A few other names off the top of my head: Michel Camilo, Warren Bernhardt, Ray Bryant, Igor Brill, John Hicks, Cedar Walton.

Kawai RX-6, Satin Ebony
--------------------
Ringo - "I am the best drummer in the world."
Lennon - "He's not even the best drummer in the band."
T
tritone Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Mmmm. Cedar Walton. Heard him live in San Diego a couple of times. Never heard him live recently, since Billy Higgins died. Talk about a tight rhythm section. Did you ever get the feeling hearing them that Cedar and Billy shared the same brain?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cecil Taylor
He takes alot of flak everywhere I see, but I think his stuff is awesome.

NAK Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A local guy named Miles Black. He's amazing.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
There's a guy in a weird jazz band called The Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey named Brian Haas, young guy, schooled, the band is simply out of this world, completely in a leaque all their own.. Not sure how to describe the music, but he's an amazing player, classically trained jazz player. (nobody in the band is named Jacob Fred either smile

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."
-- Ernie Stires, composer
M
M
There is a piano guy who plays with John Pizzarelli, his name is Ray Kennedy, he is amazing, he as a few CDs out with his brother, the are billed as the Kennedy Brothers. He can play at breakneckspeed and is awesome to listen to.

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Larry Flahive - He plays over in Palm Springs and is a teacher at UC Riverside.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Russell Ferrante, Ed Simon, Danilo Perez, Lyle Mays, John Beasley, Alan Pasqua

PianoWorld disclaimer: musician, producer, arranger, author, clinician, consultant, PS2 aficionado, secret agent...
Lyle Mays - Check him out on "Pictionary" with Jack Dejonette.

Warren Bernhardt - Has a cool set of instructional videos out too

George Duke - Known more for his keyboard work, but can work a piano over and leave it panting.

Steve Kuhn - Played with Coltrane for a bit. Has some really good stuff from his early days.

Dave Frishberg - More of a singer songwriter, but jeeze can he play a friggen piano! Wrote most of the music to the old Schoolhouse Rock commercials of the late 70's.

"Some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like but if anyone says anything back, that is an outrage."

-- Winston Churchill
T
tritone Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Conjunction junction, what's your function?

Wow... Did not know that. I knew he could play and write but didn't know that connection to my childhood.

Yeah...Dave seems like one of those people I'd like to talk to about stuff over drinks.

NPR had a really long interview (like 3 hours) with him that I heard while on a cross counrty trip many years ago. It was like getting to know someone. He was really an open and genuinely funny guy.

----

"Some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like but if anyone says anything back, that is an outrage."

-- Winston Churchill
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Don Shirley, a visionary who was at his peak in the '50s and '60s. Classically trained (some of it in the Soviet Union, if memory serves), he and his trio played amazingly rich arrangements of ballads, show tunes and spirituals with generous quotations from classical music (e.g., Ravel's "Une Barque sur l'Ocean" and Rach 2) sprinkled throughout. A label with "Collectors" in its name has recently been reissuing some of his old Columbia recordings on CD. Try to get your hands on his arrangement of "Water Boy". You won't believe your ears.

Phil Bjorlo
T
tritone Offline OP
OP Offline
T
NAK

I've heard Miles Black on Jazz Beat. Great stuff.

We should add Ron Johnston to the list of greats who deserve better exposure.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission