Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
120 registered (36251, anamnesis, accordeur, albumblatter, 36 invisible), 1262 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#569547 - 01/07/06 06:30 PM Un Sospiro Fingering
Linkxero Offline

Loc: Regina Saskatchewan Canada
Hi, ok, just started un sospiro and im wondering what you do for the fingering in measure 9, im sure people do it differently, so that would be awsome if you could post how you do it.

Oh and just to verify that I wont run into any proplems, for the first part I play the first three notes going up with the left hand and the next four with the right and the top not with the left, is that good?

Thanks for your help, and it's good to be a part of this forum.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
#569548 - 01/07/06 07:24 PM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering
BruceD Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Linkxero :

Welcome to the forum!

I don't agree with your fingering for the opening bars, although you may have small hands, which might justify your fingering.

I take the first four notes (Db Ab Db F) with the LH, and the remaining notes with the RH. I see no need to do cross-hand fingering in the opening accompaniment figure, and I think there's less of a chance of the top Ab standing out from the arpeggiated figure if it's played with the RH.

Similarly, in bar 9 :

LH = 5,3,2,1; RH = 1, 2, 3, 5, with the melody notes : Gb with LH, F with RH and C with LH.

#569549 - 01/07/06 08:24 PM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I agree with Bruce - for the beginning try to hit 4 notes with the LH and then the other 4 notes in the upward arpeggio with the RH. Though the way you have it is not too bad, just make sure not to emphasize the top Ab until the real melody starts.

Re/ bar 9, Bruce's suggestion is the fingering I use and it works fine.

#569550 - 01/08/06 07:31 PM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering
Linkxero Offline

Ok, thanks, so for the first part do you have to sort of 'roll' your left hand to reach the first 4 notes? because I can't reach the first 4 notes(at the same time), oh and does anyone here play it like I do and what do you do for measure 9?

Thanks again

#569551 - 01/08/06 07:37 PM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Unless you've got really big hands, you'll need to move your hand to be able to hit those notes in the LH. Use 5-3-2-1.

#569552 - 01/09/06 09:24 AM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering
BruceD Online   content

Quote:
Originally posted by Linkxero:
Ok, thanks, so for the first part do you have to sort of 'roll' your left hand to reach the first 4 notes? because I can't reach the first 4 notes(at the same time), oh and does anyone here play it like I do and what do you do for measure 9?

Thanks again [/b]
Your question makes me wonder if you are trying to hold down the notes in the LH. Since the arpeggio is composed of 16th notes, it is not necessary to hold them down. Furthermore, the sustain of the arpeggio's individual notes is done by the damper pedal.

Regards,

#569553 - 01/09/06 09:55 AM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering
sevenfootgrand Offline

I've done LH: 5,3,2,1 as well but ended up (somewhat unconsciously) playing it 5,2,1,2. It's kind of a rolling/rotational motion - combination arm/wrist/fingers. Anyway, I have large hands but ended up finding this technique to more inherently more relaxed. Just another idea to try.

The section I had to think about comes a few pages later - don't have the score in front of me, but it's the fast series of repeated arpeggios w/ both hands - tried several techniques to get the right sort of light/transparent sound at a high speed. Spent most of my practice time on that piece sorting out that one page!

#569554 - 01/09/06 02:48 PM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering
Contrapunctus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Whittier, California
Oh no, I'm afraid that neither of you are correct. Have you gone over this piece with your teachers?
You play the first four notes in the LH, the next three notes in the RH and that very last note that forms the melody in the LH. You will need to cross over for that. the notes of the nelody that come in between the arpeggios you play with your RH, though. On the second page when the melody notes are eighth -note octaves, you play them all with RH and the arpeggios entirely with LH.
Also, you do not keep your fingers down on the arpeggios. Use the pedal and let your hand follow the contour of notes for the smoothest possible performance.

#569555 - 01/10/06 12:46 AM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering
BruceD Online   content

Contrapunctus :

I don't know who the "both" of us are who are wrong in your opinion, but if you will go back and read my first post on this thread, I was talking about the opening two measures before the melody begins when I said : "I take the first four notes (Db Ab Db F) with the LH, and the remaining notes with the RH. I see no need to do cross-hand fingering in the opening accompaniment figure , and I think there's less of a chance of the top Ab standing out from the arpeggiated figure if it's played with the RH.

It's an entirely different matter beginning at bar three where, starting on beat 2, the melody alternates between LH and RH for each note. It's even so clearly marked in the scores that I have(upper stave = LH, RH, LH, RH, etc.) that I thought it was clear we weren't talking about bars 3 and onward.

Regards,

#569556 - 01/10/06 10:06 AM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering
sevenfootgrand Offline

Since I might be the other incorrect person, let me clarify my earlier post. I was just throwing out an alternative LH fingering for measure 9 (Linkxero's original question).

For the sake of Linkxero - who is by now probably totally confused by all this: I wouldn't call it incorrect but Contrapunctus' description of playing the octave eighth notes with the right hand (only) on page two is not conventional. I have one score (Hinson) with specific notation to continue alternating hands through the octaves passage.

On the other hand, whatever works, works.

#569557 - 01/10/06 11:45 AM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering
BruceD Online   content

I have to agree with sevenfootgrand's last comment, too. I would agree that it's quite unconventional to play the broken octave melody with RH only. In my scores it's clearly marked to alternate LH / RH for this section, which is totally consistent with the first manifestation of the melody. I have also seen this played several times by pianists of various levels of competence, and they have all - to my recollection - alternated hands when playing the broken octaves.

My only question at that point in the score, when the LH plays the broken octaves is: do you use 3,2 as the LH fingering consistently throughout this section?

This is one of those times when it would be so satisfying to be all grouped around the same piano discussing and demonstrating, wouldn't it?

Regards,

#569558 - 01/10/06 12:28 PM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering
Hakki Offline
3000 Post Club Member

My edition (Universal-Edition Nr.5849.5981.5940, Herausgegeben von Ignaz Friedman, my German is not good so someone might translate this) also shows the eighth octaves as alternating between hands and suggests two different fingerings for the left hand broken octaves as 3-2 or 5-2 respectively. Though it is not stated here if I remember correctly, 3-2 was actually Liszt's fingering.
So, I concur with what BrudeD and sevenfootgrand has said and I have to disagree with Contrapunctus.

Regards,
Hakki.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#569559 - 01/10/06 04:12 PM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering
Contrapunctus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Whittier, California
Yes, I know the fingering in the book states to continue altering RH and LH in the octave section. However, I have found it easier to play it the other way. Yes, I continue to use 2,3 fingering throughout.
Sorry, I did not know that you were speaking about the first line only and not the entir first page.

#569560 - 01/10/06 04:38 PM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering
Linkxero Offline

Haha,im not entirely confused :p But thanks for all your input I'v started playing the base notes 5321 and its working fine so thanks.

#2378524 - 01/27/15 12:56 AM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering [Re: Linkxero]
Tony Romo Offline

Try 5121 to start the measure. That eliminates the akward stretching.

#2378533 - 01/27/15 01:55 AM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering [Re: Linkxero]
Michael Sayers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Stockholms län, Sverige
Easy solution here!

measure 8 has the D-flat major chord arpeggiation - 5 3 2 1 l.h., 1 2 4(or 3) 5 r.h. - the left hand finishes with a 3 finger on the A-flat.

The right hand comes OVER the l.h. and plays with finger 3 the C that begins measure nine.

Then the A-natural E-flat F A-natural are: l.h. 5 3 2 1 (never mind that the second A-natural is on the next staff up)

Then the E-flat F A-natural are: r.h. 2 3 5

The left hand comes over to play the high G-flat with a 3 finger

Then the descending A-flat F E-flat A natural are: r.h. 5 3 2 1

Then the F E-flat A natural are: l.h. 1 2 5

Then the low A-natural is a 5 with the l.h. The simultaneous high F is a 5 with the r.h.

#2378534 - 01/27/15 02:00 AM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering [Re: Linkxero]
BruceD Online   content

Is it not possible, in the nine years since this thread was initiated and discussed, that the OP may have found the solution to the fingering? S/he can't be that slow in learning! Moreover, the OP hasn't even posted here since the three posts s/he made on this thread in 2006.

Sheesh!

Edited by BruceD (01/27/15 02:11 AM)

#2378539 - 01/27/15 02:23 AM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering [Re: BruceD]
Michael Sayers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
Is it not possible, in the nine years since this thread was initiated and discussed, that the OP may have found the solution to the fingering? S/he can't be that slow in learning! Moreover, the OP hasn't even posted here since the three posts s/he made on this thread in 2006.

Sheesh!

This is the second time recently I've been caught out by a thread that is back from its eternal repose! grin

#2378683 - 01/27/15 12:05 PM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering [Re: Michael Sayers]
BruceD Online   content

Originally Posted By: Michael Sayers

Sheesh!

This is the second time recently I've been caught out by a thread that is back from its eternal repose! grin

Proof, perhaps, that some repose may not be eternal! smile

Cheers!

#2378809 - 01/27/15 05:45 PM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering [Re: Linkxero]
Tony Romo Offline

There may be other people besides the OP that have problems with this measure and google this thread,..

and I think my solution might be easiest.

#2378811 - 01/27/15 05:52 PM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering [Re: Tony Romo]
Michael Sayers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Tony Romo
There may be other people besides the OP that have problems with this measure and google this thread,..

and I think my solution might be easiest.

It isn't.

#2378834 - 01/27/15 06:34 PM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering [Re: BruceD]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Moreover, the OP hasn't even posted here since the three posts s/he made on this thread in 2006.

He probably got frustrated and quit playing. I use 5-2-1-2 for lh in bar 9 myself but I like Mike's idea of taking the C with the right hand. 5-3-2-1 is just to error prone for some of us.

#2378841 - 01/27/15 06:48 PM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering [Re: Linkxero]
Polyphonist Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
You can also just cheat and jump with 5-5. wink

Polyphonist

#2378843 - 01/27/15 06:58 PM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering [Re: Polyphonist]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
You can also just cheat and jump with 5-5. wink

I've done that before but it made me feel dirty.

#2378849 - 01/27/15 07:06 PM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering [Re: Linkxero]
8000 Post Club Member

I just tried playing it and found that I do 5-2-1-2 as well.

Polyphonist

#2378878 - 01/27/15 08:35 PM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering [Re: Linkxero]
Tony Romo Offline

Taking the C with the RH is an interesting idea, I wonder if that works in tempo.

5-5 might be a good idea too.

I think 5-2-1-2 is difficult and akward, as is 5-3-2-1, because of how much the hand has to stretch.

Hope 5-1-2-1 works for some people, as it involves the most natural configuration for the hand.

Edited by Tony Romo (01/27/15 08:36 PM)

#2378880 - 01/27/15 08:40 PM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering [Re: Tony Romo]
8000 Post Club Member

I think 5-2-1-2 is difficult and akward, as is 5-3-2-1, because of how much the hand has to stretch.

Hope 5-1-2-1 works for some people, as it involves the most natural configuration for the hand.

You are incorrect. 5-3-2-1 may pose some stretching issues, but not 5-2-1-2.

5-1-2-1 is awkward and choppy.

Polyphonist

#2378966 - 01/28/15 12:56 AM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering [Re: Tony Romo]
Michael Sayers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi Tony,

It isn't only about if it works in tempo, but also about bringing out the initial C in the bass line with sufficient arm weight/momentum abruptly after the A-flat which precedes it. The measure can be made to sound as though three hands are playing it, one for the bass line, one for the soprano line, and one for the arpeggios in the middle, and the fingering with the r.h. taking the initial C is, in my opinion, by far the easiest and most natural way to begin.

Sorry about the very brief post before this. It was quite late here and I was running on fumes, but there was the temptation to respond nonetheless!

#2379319 - 01/28/15 07:00 PM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering [Re: Linkxero]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Ok, does anyone besides me continue to alternate hands on the melody in bars 22 and 23?

#2379399 - 01/28/15 11:35 PM Re: Un Sospiro Fingering [Re: Polyphonist]
Tony Romo Offline

Originally Posted By: Polyphonist

You are incorrect. 5-3-2-1 may pose some stretching issues, but not 5-2-1-2.

5-1-2-1 is awkward and choppy.

Different fingerings work for different hands I suppose.

I just want to give ideas, and emphasize that stretchy fingerings are not desirable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tours
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hello. Any adult beginner in Singapore?
by iluvansel
07/02/15 10:42 PM
Musicians Friend and 4th of July Sale
by FrankDaddy
07/02/15 09:44 PM
Unfamiliar concerto at a competition = bad idea?
by albumblatter
07/02/15 08:55 PM
Baldwin Piano repair question
by jdhampton924
07/02/15 08:54 PM
Please help arrange this piano medley re: key and sequence.
by riley80
07/02/15 08:19 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
79,863 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,255 Topics
2,423,469 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission