Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
69 registered (BabyCat, Ben_NZ, AZNpiano, angga888, beet31425, 21 invisible), 1266 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#571696 - 10/10/01 07:31 PM Liszt Etudes
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

What edition of the Liszt Transcendental studies are recommened? I have the Busoni and Gallico ones (which is beter?), but is there an urtext or other such edition for these pieces?
Also, when there the notes in the right hand do not coincide with the left hand notes (if the above is a triplet for instance), what is the best way to check if the note does not line up or is to be played with the left hand note? Some of the editions I used (especially for the Liszt etude #10) have notes in different places in accordance to the time they are to be played. I usually line up a paper with the notes, but when 2 editions differ, I am at a loss as to which one is accurate. Thanks!

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#571697 - 10/10/01 10:52 PM Re: Liszt Etudes
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
Thankfully, a Neue Liszt Ausgabe (New Liszt Edition) encompassing the major piano oeuvre is being published under the auspices of the American Liszt Society, so we are only a few years away from an authoritative Urtext. Until then, your best bet is the Busoni edition published by dover.

As for the second half of your question, I can't understand it based on how you worded it.

[ October 10, 2001: Message edited by: Brendan ]

#571698 - 10/11/01 06:23 AM Re: Liszt Etudes
magnezium Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
I hope I understood the 2nd part correctly... If you drop a perpendicular line from the note in the right hand and the line cuts through the note in the left hand, then it probably should be played together...

I guess this is what you are already doing with the paper, but if editions differ... I don't know... someone else will have an answer... \:\)

[ October 11, 2001: Message edited by: magnezium ]

#571699 - 10/11/01 03:11 PM Re: Liszt Etudes
MacDuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast, U.S.A.
#10 has two against three rhythms, which are played as such no matter how the notes line up.

I've got the Peters edition done by Emil von Sauer (a Liszt student) upon the recommendation of one of my teachers (who had studied from Angelica Morales von Sauer, Emil von Sauer's pupil and second wife). I'm not sure that this edition is any hotline straight to the heart and mind of Liszt, as Emil von Sauer claimed to have not learned much from Liszt's master classes!

What about the Editio Musica Budapest edition?

#571700 - 10/11/01 07:49 PM Re: Liszt Etudes
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
See, I think the inherent problem with editions coming from pupils of the composers is that they tend to taint it with their own musical tastes and pianistic shortcomings. Take, for example, Clara Schumann's editing of her husband's works. In the Fantasy op. 17, she strikes off the dedication to Liszt, not to mention the numerous textural and artiulcation changes that she makes, which are then later "improved" upon by Brahms in his edition of the complete works of Robert.

Another interesting example are the innumerable versions of Liszt's Saint Francis Walking on the Waves (Second Legend). Almost every major Liszt pupil had an edition of this piece greatly diferring from the original (listen to Friedheim's recording, for example).

I feel that Busoni's is more reliable because he took a more musicological route to his edition, comparing manuscripts with first editions, looking at editions presented by Liszt pupils, and finally arriving on the closest thing to an Urtext at his time. Rarely do we see him adding anything to the text, and even then it is point out something already present in the music (a melodic idea clouded by figurations) or suggestions for execution.

#571701 - 10/12/01 05:38 PM Re: Liszt Etudes
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
CrasshTest:

Where the notes line up (or don't line up) between those on the right hand staff and those on the left hand staff is really not the question. That may simply be a case of careless printing. What is essential however, are the note values. You have to observe the note values (length of the note according to the type of note it is (half, quarter, eighth, etc., or group of notes to a beat)); that will tell you where (and when) the notes sound in each hand.

One cannot overestimate the importance of counting!

Regards,

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which Treble Mute works the Best?
by Paul678
Today at 04:39 AM
Blubbering and friction
by music32
Today at 03:22 AM
Merry Christmas!
by ZikO
Today at 03:05 AM
Urgent need of help to learn Songs
by Fominator
Today at 02:11 AM
Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano, need advice
by kaustin
Today at 01:36 AM
Forum Stats
77349 Members
42 Forums
159973 Topics
2349292 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission