2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#572148 11/01/01 10:05 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thank you everyone. I'm either now officially not nuts, or I'm hanging out on these forums with people who are totally nuts. Hard to say just which it is, really. Apart from the stuff everyone else has posted, I think about what type of piano I would by if I won the lotto. Probably a Hamburg Steinway C

I too when driving thru ritzier parts of town, find myself gazing into windows to see what kind of piano lives there. One of these days I'm going to have an accident doing this. I will also confess to looking at adds on the real estate channel to see if someone's selling a house with a nice piano in the pictures. I'm even tempted to call them up and see if they want to get rid of it.

I can't pass a Radio Shack store when out shopping with better half and kids without going in and fiddling with the keyboard display. Normally, I hate malls, but this and bookstores, and of course Tim Horton's, provides me with some level of sanity when in these madhouses.

Jamie

PS, for non-Canadian members, Tim Horton's - or "Tim's" as it is affectionately known of in Canada, is a nation wide coffee & dougnut chain, similar to Dunkin' Doughnuts. Tim Horton was a hockey player (defenceman) with the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Buffalo Sabres who started the chain as an aside businees to his hockey career, and was tragically killed in a car crash (late 70's I think). The franchise took off shortly after that, and is a national institution now. Your town has officially "made it" in Canada once Tim's and the golden arches appears on your main street corner.

"A cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing" Oscar Wilde.
#572149 11/01/01 10:48 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
there were a few episodes of Frasier in which the piano was indeed used... the only one that comes to my mind now is the one when Frasier had to sing an Aria for some occasion and his brother accompanied him on the piano for his practice sessions... in that episode the piano got used quite a lot... and it was hilarious... smile

oh and there was one with him and his dad at the piano playing a duet... can't recall what it was about though...

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: magnezium ]

#572150 11/01/01 10:33 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Frasier once played "Great Balls of Fire" on his piano in one episode. Also, his brother Niles has a piano at his house too. That one has also gotten used a couple of times. Fraisier has also played his piano a few other times in shows but he really should play it more. At least once every two episodes would be nice. Fraiser and Niles both seem to be highly into classical music (like all of us here). I wonder what that whole Great Balls of Fire thing was all about.

For off-topic discussion, please feel free to visit www.coffee-room.com
#572151 11/01/01 10:44 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
As to the first question I am a piano tech, and you bet I wonder about who has pianos and who doesnt as I drive down the road . As to the second question,, I dont watch Frazier wink

Maker of the TCHAMMER
www.thomasccobble.com

BUSY IS BETTER THAN BORED
#572152 11/02/01 01:37 AM
J
J
I am making an assumption here, but I sincerely doubt that either Kelsey Grammar (Frasier Crane) or Niles were actually the one playing in any of those episodes. That having been said, I think a Steinway is a pretty expensive stage prop.

Speaking of actors actually playing or not playing the piano in productions, is it true that Anthony Hopkins DID actually play some of Bach's Goldberg Variations in the movie "Hannibal"? He is an accomplished pianist in real life, isn't he?

Josh

Josh
#572153 11/02/01 01:43 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Josh:
I am making an assumption here, but I sincerely doubt that either Kelsey Grammar (Frasier Crane) or Niles were actually the one playing in any of those episodes. That having been said, I think a Steinway is a pretty expensive stage prop.Josh

It was never said that they actually played. I wonder who was playing for them though. Maybe they really do play?...

#572154 11/02/01 01:52 AM
J
J
Perhaps, you never know. smile

Josh

Josh
#572155 11/02/01 09:09 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
What we need to do is to organize a well thought out letter and send it to the producers of Frasier demanding more use of the piano!!! (I also wrote this on another thread about Frasier in another thread on one of the other forums).

#572156 11/02/01 09:59 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Wow! I never realized one of my threads actually would spawn a trend! wink Nice to see I'm not the only one hopelessly in love with the piano. laugh

Hilary

Hilary aka LadyElton

Check out my blog

"Looking like a true survivor..."
-- Sir EJ/BT '83
#572157 11/03/01 11:12 PM
B
B
LadyElton,

It not only "spawned a trend", it caused two threads to intersect (see Frasier in the piano forum). I did a little reseach and it seems that David Hyde Pierce (NILES) indeed is a pianist. He went to Yale to study Piano, but admits that when he heard some of his fellow classmates he decided it might be better to study drama/English instead. But hey, he got in....Kelsey Grammer studied acting at Juliard.
JGOO write a letter to "Sideshow Bob" and sign it "Comic Book Guy" (inside "Simpson's" joke).

[ November 03, 2001: Message edited by: Bill G. ]

[ November 03, 2001: Message edited by: Bill G. ]

#572158 11/04/01 01:25 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Bill G.:
JGOO write a letter to "Sideshow Bob" and sign it "Comic Book Guy" (inside "Simpson's" joke).

Oh yes. I am a huge Simpsons fan and I knew that Frasier did the voice of Sideshow Bob. Who does the Comic Book Guy voice? It can't possibly be "Frasier" as well? There was one episode of the simpsons when Sideshow Bob's brother Cecel and Bob teamed up to built a hydroelectric damm and Cecel was played by "Niles". Sorry, I don't know their true names.

As for the letter, I would have no idea who to truley send it to, or if they will even accept outside ideas and put them into the shows. Maybe I should find a Frasier website and write them and email though. I'll let all know how it turns out. Frasier's probably nearing its end anyway in a season or two. Its been on for quite a while now. But then again, who knows.

#572159 11/04/01 01:43 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey everybody, Look at this episode guide that I just got off the official Frasier Website:

FUSSY FRASIER FUMES OVER FATHER'S FOIBLES -- On the eighth anniversary of the day Martin (John Mahoney) moved in with him, a resentful Frasier (Kelsey Grammer) chafes at the notion that he and his father are like "an old married couple," and when Martin accidentally spills oil on his carpet, Frasier accidentally but utterly destroys the old man's most cherished item. Meanwhile Niles (David Hyde Pierce) launches a crusade to teach both Roz (Peri Gilpin) and Daphne (Jane Leeves) how to play the piano-- unfortunately, Daphne would rather tickle Niles than tickle the ivories.

This new episode is scheduled to be aired on November 6 on NBC. Sorry, I don't know what time. Sometime in the evening I suspect. Please check you local tv listings.

[ November 04, 2001: Message edited by: jgoo ]

#572160 11/05/01 01:35 AM
J
J
I downloaded some of the Comic Book Guy's best quotes a while back. He is one of the funnier characters in my opinion, but hey, they are ALL funny. What a great show.

Josh

Josh
#572161 11/05/01 07:10 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Come on people! Isn't anyone thrilled to see this layout for the next Frasier episode? They're going to be useing the piano!

#572162 02/18/02 12:48 AM
F
F
Now I'm getting nervous. Is this what is in store for me, as a new piano student?

I'm afraid I've already started to get sucked in...in church today, i couldn't take my eyes off the concert grand piano. And the piano playing in church that I have always taken for granted, today I was fascinated by it!

But I have NEVER driven by a house and wondered if they have a piano. "I do not have a problem." ;-)

#572163 02/18/02 03:38 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Wow. This thread sure is a blast from the past. And I thought that I was the only one who liked resurecting old threads. Anyways:

Originally posted by Josh:
I am making an assumption here, but I sincerely doubt that either Kelsey Grammar (Frasier Crane) or Niles were actually the one playing in any of those episodes.

Actually, I've heard (since this thread) that "Niles" is actually an accomplished pianist, and that he often entertains the cast when not filming.

AND:

Originally posted by Fritz:
I have NEVER driven by a house and wondered if they have a piano. "I do not have a problem." ;-)

Can we quote you on that? You'll "catch the disease" sooner or later. As you can clearly see on this thread, many of us do.

#572164 11/22/02 12:27 PM
B
B
I also look for pianos in houses, on tv, and especially in movies. I founf myslef rewinding many times to movie scenes where a piano flashes by the screen.

Movies like Misery, Hannibal, Entrapment, You've got mail, have a quick shot of pianos. Now I fast-forward these movies when I watch them again just to get a glimpse of a piano. So you're not alone.

"...the luckiest man I know." - Arthur Rubinstein about himself and his love of performing.
#572165 11/24/02 11:03 PM
L
L
I'm with ya... I always wonder if that resteraunt has a piano in it. I guess they just look so beautiful and fun to play!

I use a Roland KR-277 Digital Piano and I just love it!
#572166 11/24/02 11:14 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yeah where ever I go I am always on a hunt for a piano! cool

#572167 11/25/02 02:26 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I sort of think along the same thread. I sometimes imagine which houses may have pianos and, if they do in my imagination, what the piano is, what it looks like, what brand, and what it sounds like. Then I'll play it in my mind, imagining what the inside of the house looks like, and the inhabitants will sit and listen to me and beg me to play more. Is this sad??? lol. Seems like I am always dreaming of having people enjoy and go crazy over my musicianship, my piano-playing, my singing. I've heard this is a sign of low self-esteem, but I don't think I really consider myself to have low self-esteem... dang, my posts sure tend to wander...

Ben Ruppert

Musically,
Benjamin Francis
http://www.myspace.com/benjaminfrancis
(I just changed my sig., so no grief, yeah?)
----------
Sofia Gilmson regarding Bach:
"Bach didn't write the subject; he wrote the fugue."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission