Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#573534 - 12/24/07 03:11 AM Howard Shelley = Amazing
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
This guy seems to be one of the most consistently good pianist I've heard in a long time.

Just found 2 very rare disks of his, out of print Chopin disks. They are both simply great.

Felt like expressing my admiration of this pianist.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#573535 - 12/24/07 10:47 AM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Definitely agreed. I have several of his Rachmaninov discs, and I think the playing just excellent. Helps too, that Hyperion's sound (as usual) is first class.

#573536 - 12/24/07 11:01 AM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Betelgeuse, baby!
He plays the pants out of the Rachmaninov First Sonata, and his recording of the Tippett Piano Concerto (a favorite work of mine) is exquisite (the piece suits him very well).
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

#573537 - 12/24/07 11:08 AM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Janus Sachs:
He plays the pants out of the Rachmaninov First Sonata...
Not to mention the Second Sonata in all its 1913 glory.

#573538 - 12/24/07 06:48 PM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
psychRN Offline

Loc: Maryland
Yes, Shelley's 8-disc box set of Rachmaninov's complete music for piano is wonderful ... one of my favorite sets, in luminous Hyperion sound. He also did the complete piano works of Lizst for Hyperion, and I think that clocked in at about 95 discs, on 57 sets. I don't think Shelley has ever made a bad recording, but one rarely sees him in recital, at least in the United States.

#573539 - 12/24/07 07:00 PM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by psychRN:
Shelley's 8-disc box set of Rachmaninov's complete music for piano is wonderful ... He also did the complete piano works of Lizst for Hyperion...
You mean Leslie Howard for the Liszt? ;\)

#573540 - 12/24/07 07:02 PM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
psychRN Offline

Oh yes, duh... Thanks for pointing that out.

#573541 - 12/24/07 07:05 PM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
psychRN Offline

I've heard only the first volume of Leslie Howard's Lizst ... the waltzes, and thought it was beautiful.

#573542 - 12/24/07 08:18 PM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
Cherub Rocker Offline

Loc: North Carolina, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff135:
This guy seems to be one of the most consistently good pianist I've heard in a long time.

Just found 2 very rare disks of his, out of print Chopin disks. They are both simply great. [/b]
Is one of them a recording of the Chopin Preludes? I love that CD!

#573543 - 12/24/07 09:45 PM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

The two I got were of him playing the Chopin's 3rd Sonata, Barcarolle, 3 Impromptus and the Fantasie Impromptu as well as him playing the 4 Chopin Scherzi, Berceruse and Fantasie.

I don't have his Chopin 2nd disk w/ the Preludes on it.

#573544 - 12/25/07 12:56 AM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, Colorado
I second everything everyone praised him for. I whole-heartedly agree!

I also own the 8-CD box set of Shelley's Rachmaninov completel piano solo music. There's so much to be admired through and through...

I also own the Rachmaninov two-piano suites played by Mr. and Mrs. Shelley? Another excellent recording...

#573545 - 12/25/07 03:13 AM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewG:
I also own the Rachmaninov two-piano suites played by Mr. and Mrs. Shelley? Another excellent recording...
Ho, ho... but they invade Argerich-Rabinovich territory. As Ms. Argerich might say: "they only do what is possible."

This board is a bloody addiction. Here I am at Starbucks (with delicious latte) posting when I have a Christmas service to play for the Anglicans in less than two hours.

Wish me luck... I'd rather have a "real" drink at the moment. But that will come later in abundance. Oh indeed...

#573546 - 12/25/07 03:31 AM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Shelley's solo Hummel is, I think, a bit better - more stylish - than Hough's glibly vapid take on that music. Hummel may not be Beethoven, but there's still more depth in that music than either of those pianists find in it.

#573547 - 12/25/07 04:18 AM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I disagree about the Hough comment though.

Hough's Hummel recordings are fantastic. So are Shelley's.

#573548 - 12/25/07 04:58 AM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
nicola montecchio Offline

Loc: venice
I have heard him several time performing Mozart piano concertos (playing and conducting) ... Just fantastic. Also a very nice person.

#573549 - 12/25/07 05:50 AM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
David Staff Offline

Loc: Doncaster
I must confess to being more than a little surprised after reading through the previous comments. A newcomer to piano music could be forgiven for thinking that Mr Shelley has just appeared on the scene, whereas his London debut was as far back as 1971. Where have you all been??
I am fortunate enough to have collected a good number of his recordings over the years, including his very valuable contributions to Hyperion's peerless Romantic Piano Concerto series. His consumate musicianship has been too well documented over the years for me to add any more plaudits.
Given a choice between the high profile, "instant virtuoso" young generation of pianists and the experienced craftmanship of Mr Shelley, I know where my preferences lie.

#573550 - 12/25/07 05:53 AM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've known of Shelley for a long time.

I've been right here.

But after hearing his absolutely incredible performances of Chopin (which are very hard to obtain) I felt a compulsive desire to dedicate a thread to him.

#573551 - 12/25/07 06:55 AM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
Bassio Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Alexandria, Egypt
I agree, he is a very capable pianist.

I haven't heard except his Rachmaninoff. Of course listening to him playing other composers will provide more insight into his interpretations.

#573552 - 12/25/07 11:43 AM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I've known him for a long time too. For some reason he is not widely known or discussed here in the US. Mr. Shelley is not new to me like the comment suggested before.

#573553 - 12/25/07 11:53 AM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
AndrewG Offline
2000 Post Club Member

As to Rachmaninov's two-piano suites I know Jason you're an Argerich fan. I once owned the disc you mentioned in your post. I listened to it the 1st time and to my surprise I did not like it at all. I tried to see 'her view' so hard by listened and re-listened. Finally I gave it away to a friend who is a newbie in classic music. To me this is one of those discs that I cannot stand it at all. The way she took the liberty with the beats rubs me the wrong way somehow.

#573554 - 12/28/07 01:48 AM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewG:
As to Rachmaninov's two-piano suites I know Jason you're an Argerich fan. I once owned the disc you mentioned in your post. I listened to it the 1st time and to my surprise I did not like it at all. I tried to see 'her view' so hard by listened and re-listened. Finally I gave it away to a friend who is a newbie in classic music. To me this is one of those discs that I cannot stand it at all.
Well Andrew, I certainly understand. I respect your posts on this board and do not dismiss your point of view.

That said, the Argerich-Rabinovich Teldec CD continues to polarize. Many have disliked it. There have been a fair amount of grumbling along the lines of "they didn't bother to read the Russian poems", they never properly entered into the "spirit" of the music, their "musical distortions" make it impossible. And so on... the catalogue of sins continue to mount.

Well perhaps. Ashkenazy-Previn always make a safe recommendation. But as Argerich might say: "they only do what is possible". And that's rather the most exasperating thing about A-P. It's Rachmaninov without the guest of honour, it's Rachmaninov as only a so-called "conservative" composer, not the radical pianist who rethought so much of the standard repertoire.

Minus my admiration for Argerich, the Teldec CD contains music making that astounds me on the highest level. But IMHO of course.

And that gets me off-topic to the next post...

#573555 - 12/28/07 02:05 AM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Janus Sachs:
... and [Shelley's] recording of the Tippett Piano Concerto is exquisite...
Wonderful music- I have that recording. Also of interest would be Steven Osborne (Hyperion 67461) which I recently heard. Hard to choose between the two.

Tippett has written some incredible music. The Concerto for Double Strings is a fascinating piece (memories of Elgar's Introduction and Allegro?) not to mention the Fantasia Concertante. I've heard a few of the operas, but cannot claim any knowledge of them.

One of Tippett's greatest (short) choral works must surely be his setting of the Anglican canticles for St. John's College, dating from 1961. It is an utterly amazing rethink of the Magnificat and Nunc dimittis... and it is still done -generally in a "festal" atmosphere- on a regular basis.

One wonders if that setting was just for the money. Tippett was agnostic and most certainly the "church" conveniently overlooked his sexuality and pacifism.

#573556 - 12/28/07 06:48 AM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
Janus K. Sachs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Betelgeuse, baby!
 Quote:
Originally posted by argerichfan:
Wonderful music- I have that recording. Also of interest would be Steven Osborne (Hyperion 67461) which I recently heard. Hard to choose between the two.[/b]
I so wish I could purchase Osborne's recording, but since I am currently residing in a philistine country with practically no stores with good art music CD sections, I'm rather ... inconvenienced. The fact that it has all the piano works on two discs is a major plus (love them all, though I have reservations about the First Sonata).
I don't know of the canticles you mentioned -- must check them out when I can. As for the operas, if you love the piano concerto you'll probably also love "The Midsummer Marriage", full of ecstatic lyricism -- check out the reissued Lyrita recording led by Colin Davis. If you love the Second Symphony and Second Piano Sonata do check out "King Priam" (the Chandos is the only recording I think). And the fourth and fifth quartets (especially as recorded by the Lindsay Quartet, of course!) are wonderful! And I think the Fourth Symphony is one of the greatest works of its kind from the 20th century. Apologies if you already know these works.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Anglican Church a bit more tolerant of homosexuality than, ahem, other churches?
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.

#573557 - 12/28/07 01:34 PM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing
Jeff135 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I wouldn't be surprised if they were, given the reason the church was created and its history.

#2121955 - 07/23/13 02:48 PM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing [Re: Jeff135]
Burroughs Offline

Howard Shelley is a great pianist.

I love his recordings of some of Mozart's concertos and his recordings of the Schumann and Grieg concertos are excellent.

― Sergei Rachmaninoff

#2121972 - 07/23/13 03:39 PM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing [Re: Burroughs]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Originally Posted By: Burroughs

I love his recordings of some of Mozart's concertos and his recordings of the Schumann and Grieg concertos are excellent.

Agreed, but posting in threads that are years old is frowned upon here at Piano World.

#2121988 - 07/23/13 04:14 PM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing [Re: Orange Soda King]
Burroughs Offline

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King

Agreed, but posting in threads that are years old is frowned upon here at Piano World.

I think it would be quite stupid to make a new thread just to post my views so that the dates are more pleasing.

― Sergei Rachmaninoff

#2122034 - 07/23/13 06:45 PM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing [Re: Burroughs]
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan, USA

I think it would be quite stupid to make a new thread just to post my views so that the dates are more pleasing.

ha thumb

You are quite right, and many of us agree with you.

I don't think OSK was necessarily expressing his opinion, but trying to give you a heads up, in case the usual "frowners" begin to chastise you.

But it's pretty obvious you're not in need of reinforcements. So welcome to Piano World!

#2122120 - 07/24/13 01:00 AM Re: Howard Shelley = Amazing [Re: Old Man]
Burroughs Offline

Originally Posted By: Old Man

ha thumb

You are quite right, and many of us agree with you.

I don't think OSK was necessarily expressing his opinion, but trying to give you a heads up, in case the usual "frowners" begin to chastise you.

But it's pretty obvious you're not in need of reinforcements. So welcome to Piano World!

Thank-you very much. smile

― Sergei Rachmaninoff

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
147 registered (accordeur, 88 Fingers Jeff, AEMontoya, A Guy, 36251, 40 invisible), 1412 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76007 Members
42 Forums
157167 Topics
2308265 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Stravinsky - Valse pour les enfants
by Peter071
22 minutes 6 seconds ago
Recommend me a slab keyboard with full grand touch.
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 05:24 PM
What's the value of my piano?
by Athos
Today at 04:51 PM
Portable keyboard stand for Kawai ES7
by gbitw
Today at 04:24 PM
Recital Piece to go with Fur Elise
by eccp19
Today at 03:22 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission