Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#575161 - 12/09/07 07:42 AM Assessing your technique
thepianist2008 Offline

Loc: NY
How do you know when you're ready to play a piece? And if you know you're not ready, how do you get yourself there?

Here's the piece I want to play, and it's going to sound ridiculous, but I have a recording of it and I've fallen in love with it: Ravel's Ondine.
Now, I know I'm not ready for it, and I probably won't be for a few years, but what should I be playing to get there? When you take a difficult piece, and you pick out where its difficulties lie, how do you find another piece with similar difficulties and how do you know that it is actually easier than your target piece? How do you know that that piece you picked out is going to help you get where you want to go?

Thanks.

Current Assignments:
Bach Prelude and Fugue in Bb Maj, D min, and C Maj from Bk I
Mozart Sonata K.280
Brahms Rhapsody Op. 79 No. 2
Bartok Six Roumanian Folk Dances
Prokofieff Visions Fugitives Op. 22

I'm going to Ithaca! Yay!!!

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#575162 - 12/09/07 10:17 AM Re: Assessing your technique
Silent Thoughts Offline

Lots of experience will let you guage the difficulties of a particular piece better than anything else. I would suggest reading through Ondine a few times at whatever tempo you need to get a good understanding of the technique involved.

Often, a piece is much more daunting at a glance than it is once you start working on it, and just as often what seems easy becomes terribly difficult at a more rapid tempo.

If I don't believe I'm ready for a piece, I usually don't pick repertoire geared toward it; I simply learn anything else that I might happen to love, content in the fact that when I'm ready I'll know and not before then. However, if there are pieces you love that happen to be close to Ondine, by all means take that route. I would suggest Chopin's Op. 25 No. 6 etude (I'd like to say that simply working on some of Chopin's etudes helps tremendously, whether or not you "finish" the etude), Ravel's Barque sur l'Ocean from Miroirs, Ravel's Jeux D'eau, and Bach fugues.

One never really knows that one piece will definitely lead to another - as such, I take the opposite approach and learn as varied a repertoire as possible without thinking about logical progressions from one piece to another. A wider technical perspective will give you both the ability and the confidence to approach literally any piece without feeling like it's beyond your abilities. It took me three or four years of very serious practice before I really felt "ready for anything," and I think there's no substitute for learning a very large volume of repertoire.

Ondine might seem like a ridiculous proposition at the moment, but you'll feel ready eventually, and when you do... good luck! \:\)

- Silence

#575163 - 12/09/07 11:54 AM Re: Assessing your technique
Mike090280 Offline

Loc: Texas
Hello. I have this probelm as well. The best solution for this is to get a good teacher. But sometimes that is not an option, like for me right now. So, I am having to go at it alone. This forum has helped a great deal.

When I want to learn a piece, I start by listening first and looking at the score. Then I will go to the piano, if I have a lot of trouble at first then most likely I will know it is too hard. I usually give it a day or two though.

For instance I started looking a Chopin etude op10 no.12, and was pretty sure It was way over my level but suprisingly it got in my fingers pretty well, the first page and a half so far anyway. A probelm I have is it takes me a long time to learn a piece because my sight reading is very bad. But it is improving.

Hope this helps a little

Mike

#575164 - 12/09/07 12:36 PM Re: Assessing your technique
thepianist2008 Offline

Loc: NY
Silent Omen - I'm glad you weren't silent! :)Whether the pieces you recommended help me get to Ondine or not, I'm always looking for good pieces to try, and I'm glad that you told me about those. I'll probably go to www.pianosociety.com and see if I can get recordings.

Mike - Usually I try this, you know, looking through the piece, seeing what I can do with it. I guess I'm a little scared because I've seen much about Ondine being one of the most challenging pieces in piano literature. They say that one of Ravel's aims in writing Gaspard de la Nuit ( the collection which contains Ondine ) was to write something more difficult than Balakirev's Islamey. But I will try it, once I'm done with my college auditions. Who knows? Maybe I'll be more ready than I think I am. I certainly know it well from hearing it so many times. We'll see what happens. \:\)

Current Assignments:
Bach Prelude and Fugue in Bb Maj, D min, and C Maj from Bk I
Mozart Sonata K.280
Brahms Rhapsody Op. 79 No. 2
Bartok Six Roumanian Folk Dances
Prokofieff Visions Fugitives Op. 22

I'm going to Ithaca! Yay!!!

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
71 registered (Art_Vandelay, accordeur, aesop, 21 invisible), 1196 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75609 Members
42 Forums
156348 Topics
2296316 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianos in timber homes vs brick homes
by Jibbers
08/02/14 02:37 AM
Debussy's opinion of other composers
by phantomFive
08/02/14 12:37 AM
Ivory v. Plastic Questions
by Retsacnal
08/01/14 11:50 PM
The worst student in your studio
by Cardinal201
08/01/14 11:43 PM
Piano Movers
by DancerJ
08/01/14 11:16 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission