Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#576000 - 08/04/03 11:48 AM How does piano playing affect your brain?
Krazypaul Offline

I've read a few articles how playing the piano can increase your spatial skills and help relieve stress but one interesting theory that i have thought about is the complexity of a song you play that can affect your brain. Say that you play very difficult, complex pieces throughout your training, wouldn't your reasoning skills be affected or increased even more than a person going under a simliar length of training but with less difficult pieces?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#576001 - 08/04/03 11:55 AM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
skv113 Offline

i heard that playing complicate piece makes you more multi-tasked, but i don't know much about effect on reasoning skill.
well, it's all good
skv

#576002 - 08/04/03 11:56 AM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma City
I've heard it makes you smarter but it hasn't worked on me yet.

#576003 - 08/04/03 12:24 PM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
Goldberg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: U.S.
Each time you practice, you work out certain places in your brain, and that causes different particles (for the life of me I can't remember the exact name of them...) to travel faster and faster. So, the more you practice, the easier it should be to think quickly and at higher levels.

#576004 - 08/04/03 01:04 PM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
Brendan Offline

Loc: McAllen, TX
I wasn't always this neurotic, you know.

#576005 - 08/04/03 01:18 PM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
 Quote:
Originally posted by Brendan:
I wasn't always this neurotic, you know. [/b]
how can you be sure??

#576006 - 08/04/03 01:53 PM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
zorro Offline

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Deep, intense piano playing improves math skills, though I'm a rare exception...
I've also heard that some scientists conducted a research that showed that practicing an hour or two just before going to sleep lets you overcome difficulties in your sleep...
zorro

#576007 - 08/04/03 02:12 PM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
Krazypaul Offline

I was just curious, I found a tremendous improvement in my math skills during the last 2 years, same years i started working on more difficult pieces. Everything in math for me is easy for some reason now...and i used to hate math because it was so hard.

Has anyone come across a site where they acutally did studies and talked about results?

#576008 - 08/04/03 02:28 PM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
kluurs Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
 Quote:
Originally posted by zorro:
Deep, intense piano playing improves math skills, though I'm a rare exception...
I've also heard that some scientists conducted a research that showed that practicing an hour or two just before going to sleep lets you overcome difficulties in your sleep...
zorro [/b]
That's odd, when I play, everyone else seems to fall asleep...

;\)

#576009 - 08/04/03 03:12 PM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
PianoMuse Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philly, PA
I know I have seen an improvement in how quickly I react to something. For example, when something comes at me, I can grab it far faster than most others can. I attribute this to piano, as I used to be extrodinarily slow!!

Practicing before bed is a bad idea. As I'm laying there, I start to go over all sorts of things I want to do with the music, and end up staying up for longer than I meant!
Composing is even worse. I have stayed up half the night because of it!

#576010 - 08/04/03 03:16 PM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
Nunatax Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
 Quote:
[/b]
Look at it from the bright side : if you had never started playing the piano, your maths would have been worse than they are now \:D

Someone told me that if you play the piano, your math skills go up with 30%... Never been able to prove that empirically though \:\)

Michiel

#576011 - 08/04/03 03:41 PM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
JBryan Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oklahoma City
My math skills are 150% of what they could be.

#576012 - 08/04/03 04:00 PM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
zorro Offline

Loc: Mesa, AZ

#576013 - 08/04/03 04:19 PM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
My math skills are not.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#576014 - 08/04/03 05:29 PM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
Nunatax Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Belgium
 Quote:
[/b]
Once I came home with about 74% on my maths exam. The same day my mother had read about the phenomenon that your math skills improve with about 30% if you play the piano a lot. She told me (sarcastically of course) that my result was awful and that I should be glad that I played the piano because otherwise I would have scored no more than 44% \:\)
That's what I meant \:D

Michiel

#576015 - 08/04/03 06:30 PM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
ericz Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
 Quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
That's odd, when I play, everyone else seems to fall asleep...

;\) [/b]
Hopefully you play a lot of nocturnes. ;\)

#576016 - 08/04/03 08:03 PM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
inigo17 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Goldberg:
Each time you practice, you work out certain places in your brain, and that causes different particles (for the life of me I can't remember the exact name of them...) to travel faster and faster. So, the more you practice, the easier it should be to think quickly and at higher levels. [/b]
I am by no means an expert (at 17), but I seem to recall from physiology something like this: In the cortex of your brain, there are pathways that the impulses from your brain travel on, in order to get where they need to go (such as fingers, when you want to move them). As you do something over and over, your brain constantly finds more efficient pathways for these signals to travel on. This is why things become easier with practice. As you get older, new pathways are built with decreasing frequency, and the same pathways are used for skills that are similar. It would make sense then, if you equate the logical thinking of musical structure to logic and reasoning in other areas, that playing difficult pieces would increase your ability in say, math for example.

#576017 - 08/04/03 10:20 PM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
Krazypaul Offline

Heh, i should look for more rachmaninoff and Liszt pieces then.... \:\)

But i also recall that this kind of effect doesn't work for everyone single person, but i know it's working for me and i finally realized it

#576018 - 08/04/03 10:28 PM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
subarus Offline

I don't know if playing improve my brain, automagically. But I do know that it is more fulfilling to spend the hour on the piano rather than on the tv.

I still remember and rejoice from the things I accomplished a month ago on the piano. I dont even remember what David Letterman said last night.

Regarding math, when I am old and senile, I'd rather be humming some chopin pieces in my head than reciting some stupid Fourier transform equations helplessly

ps: Sigma[A1.Cos(2.PI.f1.t)]=(A1/2)d(f+f1) + (A1/2)d(f-f1)

oh no.. I am already senile \:\)

#576019 - 08/05/03 01:34 AM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
lemoncoke Offline

Loc: hongkong
Playing more contrapuntal will become an architect?

[Surf] [Surf] [Surf] [Surf] [Surf] [Surf] [Surf] [Surf]

#576020 - 08/05/03 03:34 AM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
LudwigVanB Offline

Loc: Atlanta
The research indicates that the brain is like muscles and the rest of your body, you use it or lose it. Therefore, the brain requires exercise just like muscles. Playing a musical instrument requires intense brain activity, the equivalent of brain exercise. This keeps it sharp and "in shape" so to speak. It is not likely that this increases reasoning skills or any other skill per se, anymore than lifting weights would make one a better golfer. However, it does make it easier to learn simply by the fact the muscles are in shape, allowing efficiecny and peak performance.

Quote:
Practicing before bed is a bad idea. As I'm laying there, I start to go over all sorts of things I want to do with the music, and end up staying up for longer than I meant!
Composing is even worse. I have stayed up half the night because of it!
The research indicates practicing before going to bed is the best time. After practice is when the actual learning takes place so your laying there going over the music is brain activity focusing on what you just practiced. There is a study you can find by searching news archives (MSNBC for e.g.) in which subjects were given a complex brain chore (not musical) just before going to bed. They were hooked up to wires during the exercise and measurements were taken to show which areas of the brain were active. When the subjects fell asleep they measured extensive brain activity in the same areas. They also found that the subjects who performed the chore just before going to bed improved their skills over people who were tested in the morning and did not go to bed. The conclusion is that the brain is working out these patterns during sleep which enhances the learning.

Quote:
As you get older, new pathways are built with decreasing frequency, and the same pathways are used for skills that are similar.
You will find no research to back this up. You are merely repeating the myth that as one grows older one loses brain power. This myth grew out of rank speculation. To the contrary, intense use of the brain such as playing a musical instrument keeps the brain as sharp in old age as it was in youth. When Horowitz was playing at 90+ he may have lost some of his fine coordination but interviews showed he was mentally as sharp as he ever was.

#576021 - 08/05/03 03:52 AM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
PJ Offline

Loc: France (Vacation)
I think that any improvement in 'reasoning and logic skills' is more like seeing an improvement in liver or kidney function after getting physically fit. It's more like the whole brain just gets generally more stimulated and so works more efficientally, not like playing music actually is practicing logic. I also think you;d get the same effect from working hard at any mentally stimulating thing.

I also think that the 'people who are good at maths are good at music' theory, is a lot to do with attitude. What I mean is that playing a musical instrument the 'right' way takes a lot of care and patience and slow and methodical work, much like mathematics. It's not something that can be rushed.

#576022 - 08/05/03 08:48 AM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
victorialis Offline

Loc: deep in the forest
 Quote:
Originally posted by Brendan:
I wasn't always this neurotic, you know. [/b]
Brendan, there's another way to look at this.

A neurotic world has reflected upon you -- and you're aware of it.

#576023 - 08/05/03 09:25 AM Re: How does piano playing affect your brain?
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
The research on this subject is inconclusive at this time. While a few short-term studies have shown that there is some increase in brain activity associated with music learning, no long-term studies have shown any far reaching effects.

Personally, I feel that exercising one's brain in any capacity makes one smarter - be in in the practice of music, the doing of crossword puzzles, or making sand castles.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to Regulate a Studio Upright for Greatest Sensitivity?
by Paul678
10 minutes 9 seconds ago
How do I tackle my goal.
by imustlearn
45 minutes 56 seconds ago
Advice? First digital piano for family--already own a GP
by SCD
Today at 07:58 PM
Help with my DGX-650 and Synthesia!
by Jtreimer
Today at 07:21 PM
Piano tuning career prospects 2014
by Morrisos
Today at 06:56 PM
Who's Online
125 registered (angga888, ando, anamnesis, accordeur, anotherscott, 36251, 37 invisible), 1423 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158393 Topics
2325886 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission