2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 8 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#576702 09/05/01 04:46 PM
B
Beth Offline OP
OP Offline
B
While traveling last weekend, I heard a part of a perfomance on public radio of a "Completed" Chopin Piano Concerto (#3 I think.) The commentary was something about this current composer/performer used the first movement of the incomplete concerto, then completed it by rewriting/expanding 2 other smaller Chopin pieces. The 2nd movement was based on Nocturne C# minor,(posthumous) which I am currently working on (as my "challenge" piece). I can't get it out of my mind.

BUT, I don't know where the performance was, by who, etc. I just can't remember names anyway, and I was exhausted with baby care and jet lag. Has anyone else ever heard this? Heard of it? Could it have been a recorded concert with a CD available?

BTW: I also need the birth/death for Albert Ellmenreich -- Spinning Song. My daughter wants to play it at festival.

Beth

#576703 09/05/01 05:11 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello Beth,

Quickie internet search shows Ellmenreich's birth/death years to be 1816-1905.

The Spinning Song is indeed a catchy tune. I remember way back when, it was one of the pieces I enjoyed learning when I was a student.

Regards,
Lyn F.
#576704 09/05/01 08:23 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Alan Kogosowski has put together, in the true sense of the phrase, a concerto from various bits of Chopin. (I think Chopin's Allegro op.46 was once intended to serve as the basis for a possible Third Piano concerto). I think Kogosowki's product is probably what the NPR broadcast was talking about. I know Kogosowski has also fashioned a concerto of sorts from Rachmaninoff's piano trios (why I've no idea).

Here's a link to a review of the "Concerto". What you might have heard is a "premiere" recording with Jarvi/Kogosowki and the Detroit Symphony. Apparently, it's a a hodge-podge of good intentions that should never have the seen the light of the day.
http://www.canoe.ca/JamConcertsE2K/eso_01072000.html

[ September 05, 2001: Message edited by: netizen ]

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
#576705 09/05/01 10:06 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
and the pianist underlined this by playing the "Heroic" Etude, op. 53, as an encore.

now there's an etude i don't know about...=]

#576706 09/05/01 10:08 PM
B
Beth Offline OP
OP Offline
B
CG- thanks. My daughter is enjoying it. Though like most students, she has a tendancy to want to rush it some. :rolleyes: I hope she will really work on some delicate phrasing so that it comes off as something other than another student racing through as fast as possible.

Netizen: Thanks so much. I'm sure that's what I heard. I'm not sure what I think about toying with the master's works, but from a student's perspective living with the Nocturne daily, it was fascinating to hear what someone else had done with (to?)it. I hope that no matter how horrible the general critic population finds it to be, that I can find a recording of it or hear it again... just to think about the ways it was (perhaps too simply) orchestrated and add some of that to my own interpretation of the piano only original version.

From that reviewer's point of reference, Chopin might have left off on the 3rd Concerto because he didn't like it. But he never published the C# Nocturne either, mayber for the same reason. But I'm glad it's around. (I won't be in a few months as I try to speed up those scale runs!)

Thanks to you both.

#576707 09/05/01 10:30 PM
Y
yok Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Y
Beth,

I think that Nocturne actually shares material with the slow movement of Chopin's F minor (ie "No.2") concerto, a completed and genuine early work. I think the story is that the nocturne was written at a similar time as the concerto, though it was never published. I even seem to remember that Chopin intended the nocturne for his sister to study, since she was about to learn the F minor concerto. Someone more knowledgeable about Chopin may be able to clarify this. Anyway, have a listen to the slow movement of the F minor concerto, I'm sure you'll hear some of that nocturne in it.

#576708 09/06/01 03:52 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
on the first edition it was written:
"For my sister Louise to play, before she practices my second Concerto".

When Chopin's sister wanted to play the F Minor Concerto, Chopin knew it was too difficult for her. Instead, he composed this more accessible and considerably shorter nocturne, which features 5 or 6 thematic fragments from all movements of the concerto.

[from ]www.musicedmarket.com/messages/137.html]

[ September 06, 2001: Message edited by: magnezium ]

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission