Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
143 registered (anamnesis, ando, Alexander Borro, ajames, anotherscott, 40 invisible), 1748 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#577556 - 01/21/09 04:19 AM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
JustAnotherPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: United Kingdom
More qualified in the insight department than world-class artists?

Do you actually think concert pianists learn the Beethoven Sonatas a few months before they record them? NO. They have had these pieces in their repertoire for YEARS and YEARS before they ever go into the studio. You think an amateur such as yourself can just come along, learn a sonata in a year, go to the museum, think about it a little, think about it some more, give a little of your magnificent 'insight', and come out with a more valid interpretation than Brendel of Kempff?

All you hear when you listen to the great masters is their idiosyncrasies? But when you play a Beethoven Sonata it's more pure, more studied, more faithful to the score, more creative, because it's taken you 18 months to learn the it, and you happen to have visited the museum a couple of times?

Quit while you're ahead.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#577557 - 01/21/09 04:31 AM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
 Quote:
Originally posted by JustAnotherPianist:

Quit while you're ahead. [/b]
...a very good reason for kbk not to quit, I would have thought \:\)

#577558 - 01/21/09 04:42 AM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
 Quote:

All you hear when you listen to the great masters is their idiosyncrasies? But when you play a Beethoven Sonata it's more pure, more studied, more faithful to the score, more creative, because it's taken you 18 months to learn the it, and you happen to have visited the museum a couple of times? [/b]
I couldn't have put it better myself, though you left out the years of study for my B Mus.

#577559 - 01/21/09 06:58 AM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
StuartEstell Offline

Loc: Birmingham, UK
 Quote:
More qualified in the insight department than world-class artists?

Do you actually think concert pianists learn the Beethoven Sonatas a few months before they record them? NO. They have had these pieces in their repertoire for YEARS and YEARS before they ever go into the studio. You think an amateur such as yourself can just come along, learn a sonata in a year, go to the museum, think about it a little, think about it some more, give a little of your magnificent 'insight', and come out with a more valid interpretation than Brendel of Kempff?
[/b]
I think that to suggest that an amateur isn't capable of having genuinely "magnificent insight" risks over-lionising the famous at the expense of legions of very perceptive and talented non-professional musicians.

If you apply your own analysis to something, you come up with your own understanding of what the composer was getting at. And for me that's most of the fun of what this music-making lark is about \:\) - presenting my understanding of the composer's intention. To me, my own interpretation of a piece is the single most valid one there is - not because I'm arrogant (I hope) but because it's a conclusion I've reached myself. It means something on a personal level.

#577560 - 01/21/09 08:52 AM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
500 Post Club Member

StuartEstell,

I am not saying an amateur isn't capable of having a fabulous interpretation of a given work. All I am saying, after briefly visiting KBK's youtube channel, is that he is simply not one of those exceptional amateurs, despite what he seems to think.

#577561 - 01/21/09 09:02 AM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
keyboardklutz Offline

Oo.., get her.

#577562 - 01/21/09 09:17 AM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
Cherub Rocker Offline

Loc: North Carolina, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by keyboardklutz:
 Quote:
Originally posted by pianoloverus:
Plus maybe the world's greatest pianists could learn them more quickly and have greater musical insight than you. [/b]
Yes, learn them more quickly but why a greater insight? I'm probably higher qualified or at least equally so in the 'insight' side of music. I could probably do a far better job on historical and theoretical analysis than most, and to get an acceptable interpretation you need that input. What comes through when I listen to a work that I've study is rarely the composer. What I end up hearing is the performer's idiosyncrasies. [/b]
Wow, you're so humble.

#577563 - 01/21/09 09:38 AM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
500 Post Club Member

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sf7-UVt8Bcc&feature=channel_page

This is KBK's idea of being highly qualified in the 'insight' side of music. It's pretty low-end amateurish playing. To be perfectly frank, I've heard greater musical insight from 8 year old children.

Forgive me for being so unforgiving. It offends me to see someone like this presenting himself on a public forum as being a more qualified, insightful artist than the great masters.

#577564 - 01/21/09 09:54 AM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
Fleeting Visions Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Champaign, IL
 Quote:
Sorry, I was a bit slow on that one. It's obviously the frontier mentality - the Sears, Roebuck approach to learning. [/b]
I'd be interested in the original post. It would make this thread a bit more intelligible.

#577565 - 01/21/09 10:14 AM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
keyboardklutz Offline

Quote:
[/b]
Sad to see this thread's degenerated to being about me but I'm flattered you stopped to listen! That was a recording of me sight reading a piece requested by a PW member (what have you done for members JustAP?). Looks easy dunnit? Actually the dynamics (wrong in the score) took some working out, though a few days at the Museum wouldn't have hurt!
For those obsessed with me here's the thread that goes with it: http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/2/16578.html#000000

Sorry Fleeting, that was the original post!

#577566 - 01/21/09 11:42 AM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
 Quote:
 Quote:
[/b]
[/b]
If the above truly is kbk playing, then all this discussion is beyond nonsense and shows how meaningless some discussion on the internet can be. I played better at 12 even without going to the British library.

#577567 - 01/21/09 11:47 AM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
keyboardklutz Offline

Each to his own.

#577568 - 01/21/09 11:57 AM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
jscomposer Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Boogie Down
Guys, he's sight reading. Give him a break.

Although, I think that video defeats the whole point in this thread. Aren't you trying to say that you can't learn anything from just watching someone play (let alone sight read)? Or that it's somehow counterproductive and ruins the experience of playing it yourself?

#577569 - 01/21/09 12:00 PM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
keyboardklutz Offline

Well, thank you js. You'd need to understand the kids problems re: original thread and PMs to get the point of the video.

Actually, the more I listen, the more I now understand what Haydn was doing with the dynamics. Subtle tricky stuff.

#577570 - 01/21/09 12:12 PM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.

Interesting. kbk first talks about the uselessness of videos in helping anyone and then posts youtube videos under the name "keyboard class" in order to help people.

#577571 - 01/21/09 12:18 PM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
I don't know about kbk, but anytime I watch someone better than me play the piano I learn something. For me, Youtube is one of the best things that ever happened to the amateur pianist.

#577572 - 01/21/09 12:20 PM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.

Not to mention how great it is to be able to listen and watch the greatest pianists for FREE!

#577573 - 01/21/09 12:24 PM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
keyboardklutz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pianoloverus:
Interesting. kbk first talks about the uselessness of videos in helping anyone and then posts youtube videos under the name "keyboard class" in order to help people. [/b]
Jeez, this is getting complicated. Since being a member of PW I have always posted videos to help posters out with problems. They are meant to be instructional and always have some PMing or posting with them. That's another world away from those who insist on trying to take apart a performance to use as evidence of good practice. Don't study the performance, study the practice.

#577574 - 01/21/09 12:25 PM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
DanLaura Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pocatello, Idaho
If watching a video of someone playing is bastardizing the learning process, then getting input from an instructor, no matter how qualified, would also be bastardizing it. Ridiculous.
http://www.stoneformsart.com/

#577575 - 01/21/09 12:29 PM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
keyboardklutz Offline

Sorry Dan and Laura I'm having trouble getting my head round that one.

#577576 - 01/21/09 12:34 PM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
DanLaura Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

If you can't learn from watching someone play on a video, how could you learn from an instructor demonstrating a piece to you?

#577577 - 01/21/09 12:47 PM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
keyboardklutz Offline

Because you can't ask Horowitz why his fifth finger sticks up in bar x of piece x but you can ask an instructor. To take performances as pedagogical models is to take them way out of context. How often do you hear 'Don't do as I do, do as I say'?

#577578 - 01/21/09 01:33 PM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
iconoclast Offline

Loc: Ancramdale, NY
To take performances as pedagogical models is to take them way out of context.

Perhaps - but it's still preferable to having no model at all. Personally I've found Youtube videos to be very helpful - although I can see the danger for folks who don't recognize idiosyncratic technique when they see it.

#577579 - 01/21/09 02:21 PM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
 Quote:
[...] Don't study the performance, study the practice. [/b]
Originally, this thread focused on interpretation and the perceived hazard of being unduly influenced by YouTube. We now seem to be talking about the usefulness of video for teaching technique(s).

kbk, does your statement (quoted above) reflect that shift in the conversation—and, coincidentally, the oft-cited difference between a composition's technical difficulty vs. musical difficulty?

Is it your opinion, then, that video is counterproductive for inspiring interpretation but useful for addressing technique?

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#577580 - 01/21/09 02:22 PM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
DanLaura Larson Offline
500 Post Club Member

KK, you are right about being able to ask the teacher, which you can't with a video. And ya I exaggerated my point a little. But watching and listening to others performances is a valid way to learn. Painters learn a great deal and are strongly influenced by looking at other artists works.

#577581 - 01/21/09 02:24 PM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
Fleeting Visions Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Champaign, IL
I am personally of the opinion that the recording itself is a wonderful lesson on musicianship- listen to how they use time, balance, phrasing, and SOUND. And that's thinking audio only. A visual context even provides some idea of how they execute. Granted, it should all be taken with a grain of salt, but careful listening can most definitely be an excellent way to learn about a piece.

Truecrypt's recordings are quite a mine!

And I will provide a link to one of my favorite recordings of the Scriabin 4th sonata . Simply because I think the whole world should hear it.

#577582 - 01/21/09 02:30 PM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
keyboardklutz Offline

Quote:
The thread's about whether using Youtube videos as instructional guides, especially those ones posted of the good and great to illustrate matters of technique (drives me mad when posters do this - anybody could come up with 10 showing the reverse), is at all useful. What is going on inside and outside a performer during a performance is too complex to be used as a model for anything beyond interpretation and that is something so personal. [/b]
Steven, here's one of my early posts. I didn't steer it away to interpretation, it was where people wanted to go.
 Quote:
Originally posted by sotto voce:
Is it your opinion, then, that video is counterproductive for inspiring interpretation but useful for addressing technique?
[/b]
So no, it's the other way round unless we're talking instructional videos.

#577583 - 01/21/09 02:50 PM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
Thanks for clarifying, kbk. It makes sense now. (I had overlooked, or forgotten about, your earlier post that you quoted.)

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#577584 - 01/21/09 04:14 PM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
Mocheol Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Are there or are there not great performers?
Horowitz, for example or Barenboihm

If somebody on this forum is as good then who is he.or she.

I believe its a monstrous conceit to think one cannot learn from the masters.

You tube therefore provides an invaluable opportunity to learn from these greats.

#577585 - 01/21/09 04:26 PM Re: I get it. Some folks think you can learn something from Youtube.
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
Several folks have mentioned that one can learn from viewing clips of "great" performers.

One can also learn from the 'not so great' - if nothing else, how not[/b] to do something.

Learning comes in various guises, if we are receptive.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Daily temperature swings
by Stubbie
5 minutes 39 seconds ago
New Grotrian 6'3" v. Steinway B
by chasingrainbows
34 minutes 6 seconds ago
HAPPY THANKSGIVING
by musdan
Today at 10:07 AM
Book about Alice Herz-Sommer, pianist and holocaust survivor
by neuralfirings
Today at 09:20 AM
What does a dealer have to reveal?
by chasingrainbows
Today at 09:09 AM
Forum Stats
77053 Members
42 Forums
159366 Topics
2341026 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission