2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (apianostudent, clothearednincompo, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,862 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#578108 08/01/01 02:09 PM
C
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C
How difficult is it to enter a large piano competition? (International) What are the usual criteria that they judge you by? I know it varies from competition to competition, but what level of profiency at the piano is need to enter or even win a major competition?
Also, in urtext editions, how much, if anything, is changed from the composer's original text? I use the Hans van Bulow edition of Beethoven sonatas, but I would also like to refer to the urtext version; is Henle the best one to look at? Thanks!

#578109 08/02/01 07:57 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Most competitions have requirements within which pianists have options (i.e., two chopin etudes, a Beethoven sonata, etc). Have you heard any of the winners lately? That ought to give you some idea of expected ability. Or, for that matter, have you heard any of the losers lately (Pogorelich, etc)? The process of getting accepted is itself competitive (at least for the dozen or so competitions that truly matter -in terms of career and that sort of thing). The competition is not only artistic, but political in the sense of personal connections among teachers, colleagues, students, and so forth. There are tons of them out there to pick from.

There is also a whole other tier of competitions for amateurs (i.e., the Boston International Piano Competition for Amateurs, and the Van Cliburn Competition for Amateurs). These have somewhat looser requirements for repetoire --and, in my view, are a lot more fun.(The drawback being you're likely as not going to hear 100 performances of the Chopin Ballade no 1, Beethoven's "Les adieux" sonata, and the same old gaudy romantic works thrown in for good measure --i.e., whatever the performers were last studying in college/conservatory. Just kidding --well sort of kidding). Make no mistake, many of these folks are highly trained pianists who have drifted into other occupations.

My own view is that competitions --perhaps necessary in some measure--have truly done a great deal of harm to pianism in the last 50 years or so.

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: netizen ]

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
#578110 08/03/01 12:08 AM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
[QUOTE]Originally posted by netizen:
My own view is that competitions --perhaps necessary in some measure--have truly done a great deal of harm to pianism in the last 50 years or so."

Netizen, I tend to agree with you. The only thing that has gotten better is technique, but the music has suffered IMO.

Mat D.

#578111 08/04/01 01:42 PM
A
Amy Offline
A
I think that competitions are good for highschool and college students. If you place well, they help to get you a good reputation.

-Amy-
*Visit my page! http://www.expage.com/pianopalace
#578112 08/04/01 03:21 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Competitions are a kick. I really enjoyed playing in them, and often am sad that those days are behind me. But I should quickly add that I never played any major international competitions, only local and state ones. Major competitions are a whole different level in terms of pressure and amount of music that you must know.

Ryan

[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: ryan ]

#578113 08/04/01 11:46 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And, of course, there's always the online piano competitions:

Information about it is here: http://www.musicalonline.com/audition/audition2001.htm

and here http://www.webconcerthall.com/

Or skip the links, and read an article from The New Republic about it:
http://www.thenewrepublic.com/cyberspace/baer020101.html

we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
#578114 08/05/01 08:03 AM
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
You might also want to check out this one:

Music Competition Database...
The database features full, brochure-like information on competitions all over the world. More than 80% of the competitions listed have a combination of a website and/or email addresses, as well as indication as to whether a potential contestant can apply right online or not.
Once you are at the site click on Music World, then follow the links to the initial search page.

Access requires creating an account, however it is still free. It only takes a few minutes to open the account. After joining, I checked out the listings for solo piano competitions and found 135 listings. If you are looking for competition information, this one looks worth checking out.

Competitions

By the way, it isn't just for piano.
Also includes:
Pianists
Organists
Harpsichordists
Composers
String Players (including Guitarists)
Brass Players
Woodwind Players (including Recorders)
Percussionists
Opera Singers
Singers/Vocalists
Conductors
Choirs
Instrumentalists
Songwriters

Frank B.
Piano World

[ August 05, 2001: Message edited by: PianoWorld ]

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

#578115 08/05/01 12:55 PM
A
Amy Offline
A
Here is a very good website with tons of piano competitions! http://www.afn.org/~afn39483/index.html

-Amy-
*Visit my page! http://www.expage.com/pianopalace
#578116 08/05/01 07:21 PM
S
S
It depends on the level of the competition.Large international competitions are not very easy,for the casual piano fan,to get into.In the Van Cliburn for instance, there were literally hundreds of talented,many of them conservatory,pianists who applied.However,out of all these talented pianist, only thirty went to the preliminary.I agree with ryan, piano competitions can be fun for pianist of all levels.There are usually many state and local area competitions that,usually, afford a better chance of entering.
These competitions might not be as exciting as entering a major competition,but they still provide plenty of enjoyment.Anyways,large competitions are often anything but fun.Tight schedules,intense stress,and demanding physically and mentally.Not all pianist,however, began playing and studying at an early age. There was,for instance, one pianist at the Van Cliburn who started playing at 14 and was admitted.One thing I liked about the Cliburn,was the vast choice of repertoire allowed.To sum it all up,Whatever competition it is, wheather it be a local church competition or statewide,it can bring a great sense of achievment and pride ,and these competitions can also just simply be fun.

[ August 05, 2001: Message edited by: SethW ]

#578117 08/05/01 10:51 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As one sagacious wag put it, the law of diminishing returns is clearly at work in the case of the Van Cliburn. Just one dud after another. This past one was such a huge disappointment. I am typically more interested in who loses or at least places third at the Van Cliburn.

While some of these may be fun, I think they have really been quite bad. This isn't to say talented pianists haven't emerged from these competitions (as winner or losers)and that some pianists find them positive experiences. My concern is with the way competitions have slowly over the years redefined pianism (a tendency towards homogenization both in expections about technique and interpretation). They are not so much celebrations of the unique or virtuoso, as they are institutionalized seals of approval for something like pianistic excellence. How else can one explain a dullard like Pedroni (who has an amazing ability to literally empty a recital hall) taking first prize (over Kuleshov or Taylor). I seriously doubt a Cortot or a Rubinstein could win a major competition nowadays.

[ August 05, 2001: Message edited by: netizen ]

#578118 08/07/01 11:31 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The Cleveland International Piano Competition is currently underway. Next week, the winner will be seen heading nowhere at the speed of light.

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission