2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
fuoco Offline OP
OP Offline
F
What are you favourite recordings of each of the conertos plus the Paganini Rhapsody? smile

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
As a set of 4 concertoes, I most prefer the performance of ( Tamas Vasary ) with London Phil.

My favourite for a single concertoe though would be Argerich or Volodos.

Manitou - Pianist - Technician

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Can't go wrong with Rachmaninoff playing Rachmaninoff. There's no BS in his playing - crisp, clear, and very straightforward.

Two recent d minor concerti that I liked were Volodos and Pletnev. Very different takes; Volodos is balls out all the way with a big tone, Pletnev's is more refined but still delivered with plenty of verve.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Another vote for Vasary here. A vastly underrated pianist -- if you can find his collected Chopin, grab it!

I also like another sleeper - Augustin Anievas - for the 2nd Concerto. The Richter is pretty fine as well.

I have never heard a recording of the 3rd that I find wholly satisfying, but the Vasary comes pretty close. cool

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I agree with Brendan, you can't go wrong with Rachmaninoff's own stellar performances. Despite dated sound and cuts, it's still the best complete set on the market. One piece of advice, get the NAXOS version, better remastering than RCA's version, and the price can't be beat.

Individual Rachmaninoff Concertos of note:

1st:
Janis/Reiner, Chicago Symphony, RCA

2nd:
Moiseiwitsch/Ringold, Philharmonia Orchestra, Phillips
Kapell/Steinberg, Robin Hood Dell Orchestra, RCA

3rd:
Horowitz/Reiner, RCA Victor Symphony Orhestra, RCA
Janis/Munch, Boston Symphony Orchestra, RCA

4th:
Michelangeli/Gracis, Philharmonia Orchestra, EMI

Paganini Rhapsody:
Moiseiwitsch/Cameron, London Philharmonic Orchestra, Naxos
Kapell/Reiner, Robin Hood Dell Orchestra, RCA

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I love Rachmaninoff playing his own 2nd, however, I am not a fan of his third (largely because of the cuts).

For the third, Argerich does an excellent recording, and the cadenza of the first movement is like quicksilver....it's really cool.

I would also like to vouch for the Volodos...he has a big sound that seems very appropriate and accurate.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music." ~Rachmaninoff
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hank, I agree totally with your individual recording selections. I love the Moiseiwitsch and feel that his recordings are better than Rachmaninoff's. Michelangeli made the 4th sound better than it is (much better smile ). I do have to say, though, that I find the Vasary set very satisfying to listen to. For the 3rd concerto I might also add Ashkenazy with Fistulari. I haven't heard it for a long time, but I remember really liking it.

Ryan

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
If you're patient, wait for Stephen Hough's live recording of all 5 concertos, to be recorded with the Dallas Symphony in April and May of 2004 and to be released later that year. Like I said, if you're patient.

Another Vote for the Vasary / London collection. I find the d minor in the collection to be performed a little on the 'careful' side (in contrast to Helfgott's more (imho) reckless approach, if such a thing can be said), but the c minor recording can't be beat. Vasary's performance on an amazing sounding piano, coupled with an incredibly well balanced recording, make this one of my absolute favorites - worth a listen and more! smile

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by jeffylube:
If you're patient, wait for Stephen Hough's live recording of all 5 concertos, to be recorded with the Dallas Symphony in April and May of 2004 and to be released later that year. Like I said, if you're patient.
Holy...

Where did you hear this?

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
If it's true that hough is recording them, then I'm gonna spend all year looking forward to that. I love his SaintSaens 2nd. He is one of my Favorite living pianists.

Anyhow...

Concerto 1 - Earl Wild
Rachmaninoff

Concerto 2 - Richter
Janis
Gutierrez

Concerto 3 - Weissenberg
Orozco
Cliburn
Gutierrez

Concerto 4 - Earl Wild
Thibaudet

F
fuoco Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally posted by iamcanadian:
If it's true that hough is recording them, then I'm gonna spend all year looking forward to that. I love his Brahms Concertos and his SaintSaens 2nd. He is my Favorite living pianist.
Ditto. That's gonna be sweet (if it's true). laugh

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I'll read about a bit more and then let you know what I get.

Originally posted by fuoco:
Originally posted by iamcanadian:
[b] If it's true that hough is recording them, then I'm gonna spend all year looking forward to that. I love his Brahms Concertos and his SaintSaens 2nd. He is my Favorite living pianist.
Ditto. That's gonna be sweet (if it's true). laugh

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I'll read about a bit more and then let you know what I get. [/b]
Am I the only person here that thinks he only wrote 4 piano concerti? If there is a 5th, please let me know so I can get hold of it!

Gary.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
There are five if you count the Paganini Rhapsody which really is a one-movement concerto.

I have an ice cream. I cannot mail it, for it will melt.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
The Paganini has never been called a concertoe, that I know of...

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by Brendan:
Originally posted by jeffylube:
[b] If you're patient, wait for Stephen Hough's live recording of all 5 concertos, to be recorded with the Dallas Symphony in April and May of 2004 and to be released later that year. Like I said, if you're patient.
Holy...

Where did you hear this? [/b]
Well I knew it from a couple of different sources, but the most obvious one would be that I attended the concert where the Rhapsody was recorded back in June, and Litton came out and announced the new recording project. So actually I should say the Rhapsody is already done, and he's going to be recording the rest in April & May.

You should buy tickets for the concert and head on down! It's going to be cool to be in the audience for the album.

http://www.stephenhough.com/performances.htm

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Great, a live recording. I have a lot of respect for that. Plus, with such an ensemble-heavy piece like the Rhapsody, that's really brave. Some of the best recordings that I've heard of the Third Concerto (Argerich, Volodos, and Horowitz) were live. There's definitely something to be said for the energy in all of their performances. I don't think that it could be found in a closed recording session.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Some of the best recordings that I've heard of the Third Concerto (Argerich, Volodos, and Horowitz) were live.
Brendan, you SOOO forgot to mention Lang Lang in your list! thumb ha

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Heh...

He was actually in the area last week and played a recital at Miami University (Oxford, OH). I thought about going but decided against it when I heard that he was playing the Wanderer and Don Juan Fantasies on the same program.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I thought about going but decided against it when I heard that he was playing the Wanderer and Don Juan Fantasies on the same program.
thumb

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission