2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,130 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by ryan:
I believe Richter started at 4 or 5, or even younger. I don't see how it could be otherwise.
Ryan, btb doesn't want us to continue this discussion on his thread, so you can please just send me a link that proves what you've been saying? And you are not going to take into account what's in Schonberg's book, which is where I base much of my information, along with a couple other books?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, Schonberg does not say that Richter started lessons at 8, and I've never read that anywhere. However, Schonberg does say that Richter's first teacher was his father and that as a child Richter could play anything. Putting two and two together, I posit that Richter's father started teaching him from a very young age, instilling in him the technique and musicianship that he would need to follow in his father's footsteps in a musical career. My belief is strengthened by the the fact that Richter could read opera scores. Ever tried to do that? You need a strong technique, and not one that comes by accident.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Re: Richter: FWIW

David Fanning writes in the latest edition of Groves:

[...] His first love was painting, which he learnt from his aunt, with whom he spent three years between the ages of four and seven,cut off from his parents by the Civil War.
On his return to Odessa in 1922 [age 7], Richter began to learn the piano and to compose, being largely self-taught in both areas. As a child he also wrote plays. His earliest musical passion was for opera. he enjoyed sight-reading from vocal scores at home, and for a while he had ambitions to become a conductor. From 1930 to 1932 he worked as accompanist at the House of Sailors in Odessa in order to supplement the family income, and then at the Odessa Philaharmonic. He made his solo debut playing Chopin at the age of 19, and in the following year became an accompanist at the Odessa Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre."

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Well, Schonberg does not say that Richter started lessons at 8, and I've never read that anywhere. However, Schonberg does say that Richter's first teacher was his father and that as a child Richter could play anything. Putting two and two together, I posit that Richter's father started teaching him from a very young age, instilling in him the technique and musicianship that he would need to follow in his father's footsteps in a musical career. My belief is strengthened by the the fact that Richter could read opera scores. Ever tried to do that? You need a strong technique, and not one that comes by accident.
Are you a lawyer? wink Because you keep trying to ignore my original point that started all of this. I never said that Richter didn't have musical training as a very young person. He did. What I've been saying is that from about 8-17 he was mainly interested in opera and conducting, not giving concerts and practicing piano for 5-8 hours a day like most established pianists did. During that time he did perform as a pianist at the opera house, so I'm sure that helped. But it wasn't until 17 that he decided he wanted to pursue a career as a pianist and thus lived his life with that goal in mind...practicing night and day, going to Neuhaus, and giving his first public recital at 19.

All I'm looking at is the fact that if someone has the talent and decided to make a career in piano in their mid teens, Richter and Volodos might give them hope, when everyone else would say it's too late.

I bet if you took 10 non-musician people in a room, and asked who at one time took piano lessons in their life, probably 7 or 8 would raise their hands. The VAST majority of people I know that don't like music or piano, at one time tried piano lessons. So if one of these persons decided at 15 to be a concert pianist, maybe they would be help by those boring lessons they took briefly that they don't remember.

I'm sure Richter had very good musical education at a young age, but the bottom line I think with him is that he has "it", so it didn't really matter when he started. It would be a shame if someone that was 14, 15 years old also had "it" and wanted to be a professional pianist but was always told that they didn't start early enough.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So, the reason I am beating a dead horse is that I really do believe it is advantageous to study piano as a child, even if you drop it for a (sometimes long) period of time.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by btb:
The cap fits.
I'm sorry, but we don't have room for anymore pseudo-intellectual BS in this forum.

Bye bye now...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, Schonberg does not say that Richter started lessons at 8, and I've never read that anywhere.
Richter says Richter started at 8. See Sviatoslav Richter, Notebooks and Conversations, by Bruno Monsaingeon, published by Princeton University Press.

"See?! The Cliffs of Insanity!"
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
So, the reason I am beating a dead horse is that I really do believe it is advantageous to study piano as a child, even if you drop it for a (sometimes long) period of time.
Totally agree. Just saying that it's not a hopeless situation for 15 year olds that didn't study much as a small child if they want to become a successful pianist. Just gotta be good.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Orlando Gibbons:
Well, Schonberg does not say that Richter started lessons at 8, and I've never read that anywhere.
Richter says Richter started at 8. See Sviatoslav Richter, Notebooks and Conversations, by Bruno Monsaingeon, published by Princeton University Press.
Yes, but Richter lied or stretched the truth about a great many things regarding himself. I don't believe it for a second.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by Orlando Gibbons:
[b]
Yes, but Richter lied or stretched the truth about a great many things regarding himself. I don't believe it for a second. [/b]
You also don't believe me. frown laugh

For every one that makes it there are prolly hundreds that are just as talented that will consider themselves lucky to get tenure at a half-decent (state) university. There are undoubtedly many really phenomenal musicians out there that we will never even hear of. I truly believe that.

Once talent is at a professionally proficient level it's all about who you know. Generally speaking, one with "merely sufficient" talent who has great teachers and contacts will get further than one with extraordinary talent without such conctacts. It's only what you know to an extent: beyond that it's who you know.

Despite our love, understanding, and passion for classical music, the majority of the world really isn't too interested and doesn't support it and there just isn't room for many: a few lucky ones win the lottery with a ticket their contacts buy them.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission