2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#582792 07/21/05 11:49 PM
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
The problem comes on the last page of the Schubert sonata #959. A dotted eigth F octave followed by a sixteenth E octave followed by a full F major chord in root position. It's presto. We're going pretty fast, quarter note equals MM 120 or thereabouts.

The problem is that I can't get all the notes of the F major chord to sound together. The A and the C are always a little late. I've tried various tricks, like trying to sort of lock my #3 finger in between the A flat and the B flat when I strike the F octave, but even this kind of pre-placement doesn't work. I've also tried playing it slowly one-hundred times and more, and this doesn't work either. On the few occasions when I'm up to tempo and all the notes sound together, it sounds great.

Any suggestions? Any help?

On another issue: I tried to make this post simple by taking a picture of the music with the idea that I would include it with the post. I've seen other postings on the forum of newly delivered pianos and so on, so why not a picture of the music under discussion. Anyhow, I can't figure out how to include it with the post. Can anyone offer me any help here?

Thanks so much.

Tomasino

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do so with all thy might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

#582793 07/22/05 12:01 AM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
To post an image:

[img]Your Image's URL [/img]

#582794 07/22/05 12:30 AM
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Tomasino,

I know exactly where and what you're talking about. I dug out my trusty Dover Edition and had a peak. smile This is a very beautiful sonata. I've been working on, for many years now, his very beautiful last one in B-flat, and I've read through (only once) the one you're working on for real.

Anyway back to your problem. Couple of things to try.

1) Balance the chord toward the bottom.
By doing this, the rest of the fingers will fill in naturally. You can use the get-ready position, but plan to land with the outside of the hand. Also don't try so hard. Sometimes by working too hard at something it never happens.

2) Try the exaggeration method.

!!! Warning!!!
Don't do this just before a recital because you'll confuse the snots out of yourself... Trust me...

Try jumping to the chord, but instead of playing it where it should be, play it lower. Do this a few times, maybe five or ten. When you go back and try the correct version, your mind will be tricked into thinking that the chord is a lot closer than it really is.

Anyway I hope this helps, have a lot of fun, and I hope you're enjoying your time with Mr. Schubert.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
#582795 07/23/05 12:35 PM
Originally posted by iamcanadian:
To post an image:

[img]Your Image's URL [/img]
But the Image has to be on the internet?
It can't just be on the computer..
Am I right?

//Dave the Aftershave

#582796 07/23/05 12:39 PM
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
www.imageshack.us

Easy to use hosting of images provided they are smaller than 1MB. And you dont have to sign up.

#582797 07/24/05 11:27 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm left handed and learning to play - I usually practice for about 2 hours - take short break after scales, chords, Hannon and all that fun stuff - the other day I went to work on two new pieces Fur Elise and Chopins easy Waltz in a minor (can't figure out why this is called easy) Chopin anything is not easy - anyway to make a long story short, my left hand started to feel sore, I kept going for little longer figuring that I could work it out, (years of dance training comes to play) and of course that didn't work out so I stopped and lost a day of practice.

It seemed strange that it was my left hand which is stronger that was bothering me and not my right hand which of course is weaker.

Everything is a-ok now - go figure.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission