2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#584097 02/22/07 04:36 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
i was hoping

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
#584098 02/22/07 10:58 PM
Mr. Biegel, I have listened to your Chopin op. 25 no. 6, which I am currently getting ready for an audition in the middle of March, and for one thing I have a hard time fathoming that a person can play it that fast. I know this question is so incredibly cliche, but I must ask: how did you practice it?

P.S. I hope this is a compliment to you: your recording reminds me a lot of Lhevine's recording of the piece. You both add a strong element of finesse to the piece that I would love to have in my playing of it, not to mention that you both take it at such a breath-taking speed.(I plan on playing Op. 25 for my senior recital as well as the audition)

Help people. www.thehungersite.com
Go and click the button. That's it. Just do it.
#584099 02/23/07 08:40 AM
J
JBiegel Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
It is a compliment, which I value and appreciate deeply. I also make sure the piano I will play pieces like the Chopin double thirds etude is evenly distributed in sound and touch--and that the action is not too light nor too tight. I'm backtracking here, but for a reason, which is probably where you find the connection to Josef Lhevinne: I was once playing 'Feux follets' for Adele Marcus for a lesson, and she sat rather silent (not a typical thing!) and then said, 'You know, dear, you remind me of Mr. Lhevinne-how you slightly hunch over the piano and play lightly on the double notes--he played as if the piano were a toy--but that was a good thing. You should cultivate this and play the music he did.' Silly me, I wasn't all too aware enough of Josef Lhevinne at 18 years old, but I learned fast. I also found a rare piece in Ms. Marcus' home: Paul de Schloezer's Etude de Concert in E-flat Major, Opus 1, no. 1, which Lhevinne played also--but there aren't recordings of it to my knowledge with the exception of a brilliant woman pianist who recorded it for piano rolls and I heard in the Austin home of Caswell (his first name escapes me, though I believe it is Ken--used to be the manager of the Austin Symphony) who has two pianos that play the old rolls. I learned the Schloezer double note etude and played it after a Prokofiev 2nd concerto in Copenhagen--what a piece. I decided to add it to the PianoDisc 'Rare Gems of the Golden Age'. Ah--you're opening a chapter of my life with this topic. I've become so busy lately with new music and commissioning projects--and find less and less people attracted to what was an amazing artist, Josef Lhevinne. Someone in another post mentioned that Adele Marcus was polarizing--deeply affected some people in a negative way. Yes, she was very powerful--every word she said lasted with you--good and bad. But I've learned to keep the good with me and use it to my benefit. She had tremendous fortitude in teaching-where many would care less. She truly cared about everything her students were doing on the big stages throughout the world--tempo, sound, phrasing, singing sound, interpretation, what you wore, how you bowed, etc. Very old world hard working person--and didn't miss a thing! She did strain you emotionally to get her point across, but not all of the time--but you were on your guard, for sure.

Adele Marcus stressed that in order to play any double note pieces like her teacher, Josef Lhevinne, one must slowly play the piece with legato upper note fingers (4th and 5th) against staccato lower note fingers (thumb and 2nd fingers). This trains the weaker upper fingers to be stronger, louder, melodic, and the stronger lower fingers to appear softer. The staccato practice for the thumb and second finger will lighten them up, while paving the way for the upper melodic line as played by the 4th and 5th fingers to feel more prominent. I also do the diminished seventh exercise which I have posted before--yet nobody replied to--it is a life saver to me, and I must add--in all of these practice tactics, a loose wrist is most important. It doesn't hurt to say that I started the Chopin Etude as a teenager, and practiced it in the way I mention after I started studies with Adele Marcus--probably in my early 20s. Typically, I play it slower, but after a concerto like Rach 3, Prokofiev 3, Tschaik 1, and adrenalin, it just goes as it wants--fast. But always think of it as a melodic line--not fast. The Chopin etudes are music first, and then display a technical aspect second. His piano may not have been as heavy as those of today--which are based on those that came after his. Remember--Beethoven composed his 32 sonatas on several instruments as they were being created, so dynamics and speed should be taken into consideration.

Here's the stretching exercise I mentioned for overall finger strength and dexterity:

In Dean Elder's book, Pianists at Play, and some old back issues from the 1970s and 1980 sof Clavier, Adele Marcus shared her technical regime. In it, there's the diminished seventh chord stretch. I alter it slightly, starting with the RH thumb on c above middle c, then e-flat, f-sharp, a and c. LH starts with the thumb on A below middle c, then f-sharp, e-flat, c and a. This way, the 2nd and 3rd fingers are on the black notes. Do hands apart, metronome on 56--grasp the chord vigorously and count 1---2---per tick on the metronome--keep all fingers down into the chord. Wrists relaxed. shoulders and arms loose like in a sling, close to the body. Arms and wrist level with the key bed. Count slowly, quarter equals 56. Two counts down, two counts up, each hand starting with the 5th finger separately. Do each finger 4X. NOTE: 4th finger stretches OUT, not UP. Other fingers stretch up as high as possible--but two counts only to avoide problems. Drop into the key from a high point, and then slightly pull the fingers toward you to reinforce the first finger joints. You can put the thimb on the wood below the keys also for leverage and strength. (Try this at a table top also to get the idea of leverage with the thumb below the table rim). Remember--when you lift the fingers up, the wrist is not loose but in a locked position to stretch the finger up (or out in the case of the 4th finger)--but when you drop into the key 'forte', you can bounce the wrists to avoid tension each time you drop into the key. Then, after doing all five fingers 4X each, shake out the hand, then try combinations of 3 and 5, 2 and 4, thumb and 3. After a few days, you'll feel the keys more firmly and the fingers will have more solidity. Don't force it, only once a day--no stress, no tension.

#584100 02/23/07 10:17 AM
J
JBiegel Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Btw--where are you auditioning?

#584101 02/23/07 10:42 AM
Thankyou very much for the info about the etude and your teacher-- she sounds like Juilliard's Vengerova smile . I will definitely practice it in the way you suggested.

I am trying to read this stretch, and am having trouble finding exactly what I'm supposed to be doing-- what is the main action of the stretch.
You lost me when you seemed to go from the setup of the hands right to "two counts down, two counts up, each hand starting with the 5th finger separately." Could you clarify? I'm very interested in trying this.

P.S. I'm using the Chopin for only my Curtis audition, as a filler for the required two Chopin pieces with contrasting tempi.

#584102 02/23/07 10:59 AM
love it.. great advice. I can't wait to try some of this technique

i think i'm learning an etude with mr. teacher next week.. hope it's the double 3rds - seems it's so beneficial... tho he'll probably choose something slow and melodic :rolleyes:

#584103 02/23/07 10:59 AM
J
JBiegel Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Hands separately--grab the chord--settle it into the fingers--then lift the 5th finger up to the right and high and count slowly for 2 counts while raised (quarter=50), then drop into the key and bounce the wrist alittle to relieve any tension--do each note 4 times. Mind you--the 4th finger stretches out, not up. Do LH similarly. Make sure the RH notes are C above middle C--E flat--F sharp--A--C, LH starts with thumb on A below middle C and then 2nd finger on F sharp, then E-flat, C and A for the 5th finger. For the stretches on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th fingers, you can put your thumb on the wood below the keys for leverage. Thumb's turn--stretches out RH--to the left, LH to the right laterally.

Hope this helps--I have to run out--so if you have trouble, you can send an email to me.

Are you auditioning at Brooklyn College also?

#584104 02/23/07 11:06 AM
Thanks for the exercise.

Unfortunately, no I am not auditioning at Brooklyn... Had I met you earlier, I'm sure I would have looked into it. Alas! Oh well...

#584105 02/23/07 03:06 PM
U
U
Hi Jeff,

Welcome. From Frank's member email this morning I linked over to your site and enjoyed several of your pieces this morning. Wonderful to hear you play.

Dave

#584106 02/23/07 04:23 PM
J
JBiegel Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
op30no3: Brooklyn's auditions are March 9--in case you have change of heart--

Thanks, Uncledave! This is a fun forum indeed!

#584107 02/24/07 08:38 AM
J
JBiegel Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
op30no3: how did the Adele Marcus exercise help you? It usually takes a few days before you start to really feel your fingers.

#584108 02/26/07 05:59 PM
J
JBiegel Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
I'm curious--has anyone else tried this diminished seventh chord stretch? I can't go a day without it.

#584109 02/26/07 10:09 PM
it feels absolutely totally natural..

#584110 02/27/07 05:30 PM
Sorry been away for a few days...

On the Marcus exercise-- I have not had time to do it but once, because I have been away from a piano for about three days. TERRIBLE! Anyway, I'm going to use it for a while, then I'll get back to you.

#584111 02/27/07 10:08 PM
J
JBiegel Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
It really works after a few days--you 'feel' your fingers through and through--and gain strength.

#584112 02/28/07 10:48 AM
Hi Jeff,
May I ask a question? I am an intermediate player I guess, studied music as a young man, then life got in the way. Starting again and working on Chopin's Nocturne Op72 #1. Any tips for practice?
Thanks,
Nick

#584113 02/28/07 12:12 PM
J
JBiegel Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Slowly--hands apart--sing the themes out loud as you study the piece--let it flow naturally--loose arms, loose wrists--that basically covers it. When you learn something though, treat it purely mathematically--count out loud, hands apart--you know the drill.

#584114 02/28/07 07:30 PM
Thank you, Jeff!
I will do just that...Coming from a pro like you, I will certainly take your advice. Yes, I know the drill however, after listening to you, I get a bit impatient because I want to play like that. You're the BEST! Thanks again!

Nick

#584115 03/01/07 09:00 PM
J
JBiegel Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Patience is a virtue! It takes time and patience for everything.

#584116 03/01/07 09:46 PM
F
F
I performed the chord exercise yesterday and today, I think I feel some improvement in getting my fingers to the fast arpeggios in a piece I`m learning. I think I forced it a bit today though as I felt a little discomfort in my left hand for 5 minutes, it`s fine now though. I`m interested to see the improvement after a week or more :-)

Will
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission