2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Hello all -

I'm the resident piano/organ/synth guy for a smallish indie rock band signed to an equally small indie label. The time has come for another tour and this time I'm dead set on taking along an actual acoustic piano. Until now we've toured with my Nord Electro 2 which has gotten the job done, but now I want something that is as expressive as our recordings, in which I used both uprights and baby grands.

The problem is, of course, finding the right piano to take on tour. So I submit to you, Piano World Forums, this question: what is the smallest, lightest piano you have encountered? Of course I don't mean toy pianos or any other novelty items. I'm talking actual pianos that, for one reason or another, were built small and light.

I've done a bit of research so far but information has proven hard to come by. I've been particularly interested in pianos that were built with fewer than 88 keys. Since this piano is being used primarily in a rock context (as opposed to classical or other genres that use the majority of the keyboard) I don't really have much use for the top and/or bottom octaves. What I've found follows:

1. The Eavestaff Pianette - Also known as the Minipiano, I saw a few pictures of one on eBay once and I believe this thing has fewer than 88 keys. Apart from this site I haven't been able to find much about it, but it seems like it might be one of the smaller/lighter models out there.

2. Certain Aeolian models - One of my favorite bands around today and one of my biggest influences in playing style is The Walkmen. When they re-recorded Harry Nilsson's classic "Pussy Cats" they gave a lengthy interview to Sound on Sound regarding their process. It can be found here . Here's the relevant quote:

Another big part of the sound of Pussy Cats Starring The Walkmen is the studio's Aeolian, the latest in a rather long line of beat-up pianos. "We keep on buying five-octave pianos because they're actually small enough to take on tour. Three people can carry them, but they're so heavy to treat carefully and they get beat up."

I haven't been able to find any more information on what model of Aeolian they might be referring to, since it appears that Aeolian primarily manufactured player pianos and that's all that ever comes up in eBay and Google searches. If anyone knows what model they are referring to, or where I might be able to purchase one, please let me know. This piano sounds absolutely perfect for my needs.

3. Traincar pianos - An employee in a music store once told me that he had heard of pianos that used to be made small enough to fit inside the sleeper cars of trains. He speculated that perhaps they were made with less than 88 keys, but I haven't been able to find anything else out about these "traincar pianos."

Any information you guys have on this topic would be greatly appreciated. For what it's worth, I'm not looking for any kind of piano emulator, virtual instrument, or sampling solution. I've been down all those roads, and none are as expressive as I need them to be. I am totally okay with vintage, old, antique, beat-up, pianos. I understand that touring/gigging with an acoustic piano is difficult, and that most bands today use keyboard emulators, but I'm not satisfied with that approach any longer.

Thanks in advance!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Buy a Yamaha CP70B (or CP80 if you can find one). If you get lucky you can get an M model with midi.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Back when I was younger and stronger I could actually haul mine all by myself.

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
B
BDB Offline
B
Or a CP 60, if you can find one. The problem with all of these Yamahas is that they are difficult to tune.

If you want an acoustic, and are traveling with a truck and equipment, it is actually easier to move grand pianos than uprights, if you know how. Steinways are among the lightest. You might be able to find an old M at a good price, fix up the action, take it on tour, then rebuild the body and strings, and sell it for enough to get back everything you paid for it.

Semipro Tech
Originally posted by BDB:
Or a CP 60, if you can find one. The problem with all of these Yamahas is that they are difficult to tune.
I didn't even know Yamaha ever made a CP60. I just looked it up and see it's an upright.

I always found my CP70 easy to tune. I didn't do the same tuning my RPT does on my Estonia, but using an electronic tuner I always found it more than adequate. For gigging I don't think there would be any problem whatsoever. I think it is a great piano. It's just that with these new keyboards now, like the new CP300 or RD700SX who wants to carry these heavy pianos around, even if they are real?

"If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
MSU - the university of Michigan!
Wheels
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Maybe contact the guy who started the nearby thread, "Harrington piano with folding keyboard." Make him an offer! laugh

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
google
Helpenstill piano

JG
B
B
How I wish Yamaha still produced them. Mine is beaten up and I would love new one.

B

Schimmel 213 NWS, Yamaha MOTIF XS8, Roland RDX700, Roland Jupiter 6, Akai S3000XL sampler (just for fun)
G
G
I owned a CP70 for years and liked it, but it was realy hard to tune. Furthermore, the touchweight was much too heavy for me. But the sound is legend! I am playing in a band as well, but I switched to a digital piano.

I recommend looking for a small Schimmel upright. In my opinion Schimmel is the company that built the best sounding small pianos. Of course, there are many small uprights on the market, but I think the Schimmels sound better than other small uprights. Aside perhaps from the Grotrian Steinweg 100.

There was a Schimmel Mod. 100 (100 cm) and the Schimmel Capricio (97 cm) which you could get used. Smaller than that is difficult. You can get e.g. a Manthey Klaviano with 90 cm, but that´s garbage. And many of these small uprights have a drop action and that´s garbage too.

Gregor

piano tech - tuner - dealer
Münster, Germany
www.weldert.de

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission