Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#584812 - 06/04/02 04:02 AM recital observations
nancyww Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: central oregon
My daughter's recital was yesterday and I enjoyed watching these talented piano students perform. I also learned a few things to remember the next time I have to play in front of other people. For example:

Before leaving home, have someone check to see how the back of one's outfit looks when seated at the piano. It's embarrassing when a performer's top and bottom "gap" upon sitting down, to reveal "fruit of the loom".... or worse.

The person playing secondo in a duet is somewhat hidden from view of the audience. This would be a good choice for someone like me, whose hands shake when nervous.

Use the restroom before the recital starts. It will last twice as long as planned.

Don't turn your back to the audience when bending over to move the piano bench.

It looks really good to smile after playing, even when the performance is less than perfect.

Anyone else have practical advice for playing in a recital?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#584813 - 06/04/02 07:57 AM Re: recital observations
okat47 Offline

Loc: Canada
Don't forget to bow! At student recitals, bowing seems to be a hit and miss thing, especially for younger students. Teachers should teach their students how to bow properly. It looks professional and polished and it shows respect for the audience.

#584814 - 06/04/02 12:11 PM Re: recital observations
Beth Offline

Loc: Atlanta Area
Be sure to wear shoes that you can walk in comfortably and have practiced with. Pedalling in unfamiliar shoes can really throw your concentration.

I agree with the bowing, but like everything else about performing, it is a learned art. At my first recital, I was the only adult: in fact, my teacher said she had never before had an adult student willing to play at a recital. I was very nervous about playing for all those parents. And I was especially nervous about the bow. How could I bow if I bombed the piece? I knew she had placed me last, so I hid a silly "sparkly star" headband in the large pocket of my jacket. You know, the ones with springs that wobble back and forth? I played "We Three Kings",and got the headband out as I moved off the bench; put it on as I bowed, and got a great laugh out of everyone. Professional? not really. But it did relieve the stress. I knew even if I blew the piece, I'd "do the bow."

#584815 - 06/04/02 05:03 PM Re: recital observations
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
nancyww, those are precious. My previous teacher used to have us rehearse bowing, we practiced it a number of times. She told us to look at a point above everyone's head and to smile; we could place our left hand on the piano if we wanted to when we bowed; and to bow all the way down.

#584816 - 06/04/02 08:35 PM Re: recital observations
PianoMuse Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philly, PA
Apparently, the thing in Europe now is to move in front of the piano, line yourself up with the prop stick that holds the lid up, and bow right there. at one of our major recitals, where many prominent musicans attended, they were all "very impressed", or so my teacher said, with the one student who did this. But, anyways, i prefer to bow in front of the bench.

#584817 - 06/04/02 10:15 PM Re: recital observations
Mr. Gould Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Always eat a good meal before playing.
And yes, going to the washroom before would be a good idea!!

I was at a recital and this little kid, like 6 years old was playing and all of a sudden he stoped, got up, and asked to go to the washroom...

Funniest thing I have ever seen!!!!

#584818 - 06/05/02 01:25 AM Re: recital observations
nancyww Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Classical Player:
Always eat a good meal before playing.
And yes, going to the washroom before would be a good idea!!

I was at a recital and this little kid, like 6 years old was playing and all of a sudden he stoped, got up, and asked to go to the washroom...

Funniest thing I have ever seen!!!![/b]
That does sound funny. \:D The recital on Sunday lasted about 2 hours. During that time, 2 different kids popped up and ran to the restroom...in the middle of someone else's performance. At least they waited until that person was finished playing before returning to their seats.

As for eating a good meal before performing, is anyone else like me? Whatever I eat becomes a giant rock in my stomach by the time I arrive at the recital. \:\(

#584819 - 06/05/02 04:10 AM Re: recital observations
Moki Offline

Loc: Washington State
I agree about having comfortable shoes. Kind of in the same vein, another thing is to make sure your clothing is comfortable. More than likely, you'll need to be dressed nicely, but even with formal wear, you'll want to be as comfy as possible. To me, that means:

* Clothing that isn't too tight or restricting.

* Clothing that isn't too warm (or too cold).

* Modest neckline for women (for when you take your bow -- of course, if you curtsy, I guess you don't need to worry about that quite as much).

* Sleeves that aren't too tight or too loose (you want freedom, but you don't want your sleeves to be flopping all over and getting in your way).

Hmm... you'd think I was a real clothes-conscious person, but here I sit in my daily uniform (shorts and a t-shirt)... \:D

#584820 - 06/05/02 04:19 AM Re: recital observations
mkesfahani Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by nancyww:
As for eating a good meal before performing, is anyone else like me? Whatever I eat becomes a giant rock in my stomach by the time I arrive at the recital. \:\( [/b]
Yes. I think at least 24 hours before performing, one should avoid animal protein as much possible because that is the main cause of "butterflies."

Mike

#584821 - 06/05/02 11:00 AM Re: recital observations
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
The one that stopped me was SHOES! I knew enough to practice my piece wearing the shoes I was going to perform in, but it never occurred to me to walk across the stage in the very same shoes (the piano was in a practice room during my "dry run").

SQUISH, SQUEAK, SPLODGE! Those friggin' shoes made more noise than the piano on the wooden stage floor... I was mortified!

#584822 - 06/08/02 08:23 PM Re: recital observations
nancyww Offline
500 Post Club Member

My daughter played in a music festival today. It was FREEZING in there. I'm learning as we go....take a sweater just in case. Some of the kids were wringing their hands to try to warm up before they played.

Have you ever watched the parents as their kids play? You can see them drop their heads, shake their heads, clutch their chests or get this panic stricken look on their faces when their child hits a wrong note. I bet the performer can sometimes see that out of the corner of the eye. Perhaps piano teachers should coach the parents as well as their students before a recital. "Now when your child sits down to play their piece, take a deep breath and focus on the music. If you hear a wrong note, don't make a funny face. Smile and clap at the end." \:\)

By the way, do any of you take your music into the recital with you, like a security blanket? Even if you plan to play from memory?

#584823 - 06/09/02 08:41 AM Re: recital observations
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
I'm taking all of this very much to heart, as I will undoubtedly be called upon to perform in the next few weeks (Please see the thread I started: "Personal Plug"). I will practice bowing!

I would also add that if you have a piece of jewelry that you "always" wear, it might be a good idea not to wear it for the recital. I wear my college ring 24/7 (as they say!), but I find that sometimes when my hands are cold - from ambient temperature or from nerves - my ring finger shrinks just enough so that the ring tends to turn and gets in the way of playing. On the other hand, (pun intended?) I believe that Rubinstein always wore a ring. The one time I saw him in recital he was wearing one, and I believe I have seen it in photos/videos. But, then, I'm not Rubinstein, in case you were wondering!

I would think that bracelets are a definite "no-no," aren't they? They can surely get in the way and can also be very distracting to the audience.

Thanks to all for the observations.

Regards,

#584824 - 06/09/02 01:15 PM Re: recital observations
CrashTest Offline
4000 Post Club Member

In the last month or so I have played a number of times in public, I have learned quite a few valuable things through experience. First, I have trouble eating before the recital, I am nervous so food just does not sit right. Secondly, I take my time when I sit down at the piano. A piece I played required use of the una corda pedal along with the sustain pedal, and I did not take my time to accustom myself to the piano (I had never played on it before) and thus had some trouble locating the pedal during the piece. (My knee always hits the bottom of the piano board, so I have to keep my foot just above the pedal or else It is hard to get comfortable.) Performing really does get easier after you do it a couple of times, the nerves turn into pure energy for me.

#584825 - 06/10/02 08:26 AM Re: recital observations
okat47 Offline

Loc: Canada
You talk about parents getting nervous, but the teachers get nervous too. I had 2 of my students play in a music festival this year and I was so nervous I couldn't watch. I just stared at my program the whole time. I never thought it would be so hard.

CrashTest, your advice about taking time to get accustomed to the piano is sound. I played a piece where I needed to use the middle pedal. During the performance,I was quite surprised to find out that the piano did not have a middle pedal! According to my page turner, the expression on my face was priceless. She could hardly keep from laughing the whole time.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
108 registered (anotherscott, AlanSanDiego, Aviram, accordeur, 36 invisible), 1348 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157224 Topics
2309197 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Blac
by Aviram
Yesterday at 11:56 PM
Blackbird - Piano Cover - The Beatles
by Aviram
Yesterday at 11:49 PM
Kawai CA95 Recordings
by wolferblade
Yesterday at 11:32 PM
soviet upright piano "LIRICS"
by Maximillyan
Yesterday at 11:22 PM
Question about 1975 Steinway L
by mahlers2nd
Yesterday at 09:02 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission