2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but I am English and my daughter is learning piano in the USA. In England there are 8 "Grades" but here in USA my daughter has never been graded. Most books she works with have "Levels". Are "Grades" and "Levels" similar? Is there a documented relationship between the two systems?

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
There is no standardized agreed-upon grading system. Even within different countries, it all depends on what organization the teacher belongs to as to what grade or level someone is. More than likely, the levels you are referring to are simply a manner of separating levels of a method book series. Sure, the higher the number, the better your daughter is getting (presumably!). Perhaps if you could tell us what she is currently playing, we could make a guess as to where she stands overall (Early Intermediate, Late Elementary, etc.), but even then, that will vary widely depending on the teacher. There is really no hard-and-fast rule as to level or grade in general.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
They're all useless basis for one's skills.

With my best wishes...
P
P
I've been following a graded system here in Malaysia (British) and being exposed to the 'levels' in the States, i would say what seems to be regarded as somewhat complete or a high level (Grade 8) is an Intermediate level in USA...

I am judging based on the technical difficulty of pieces used for examination in ABRSM. An example for grade 8 would be first movement of Beethoven's 1st Sonata, or a movement of an easy Mozart/Schubert sonata.

M
M
But even such statements as "Intermediate" doesn't hold much weight. Is it Late Intermediate? Some may consider those Early Advanced. And every system out there has their own angle on things. It is so subjective, that it is much better to assess one's progress base don how well they play whatever their level is. At any level one can be expressive and show mastery of the material.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission